I drove my new J10 for 50 miles (long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The PIG Smith
    King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

I drove my new J10 for 50 miles (long post)

As some of you may know, I have been looking for a Daily Driver replacement for my ‘99 for a while.

My 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited (WJ)
    My WJ has some serious issues. I’ve had major issues with both its front and rear brakes.
    I paid big $$$ and installed updated Mopar rotors (are suppose to correct rotor warpage)
    with Stillen cross drilled rotors and Stillen pads.
    I still have rotor warpage.
    I have had the front hubs replaced multiple times.
    Bushings and the ball joint for the rear suspension needs replaced; basically the rear suspension assembly needs rebuilt.
    When going around a curve, like an Interstate exit ramp, the rear of the WJ will fishtail and get squirrelly.
    Other smaller, but annoying problems, like the A/C, heated leather seats and the several stereo speakers do not work.
    The rear door gaskets are shot and leaks wind/water.
    In August, I was T-Boned and the drivers door and front fenders were damaged.
    The door will shut and latch, but it badly bowed and has a 2 inch gap around the top.
    Its 4.0L I6 runs great.

1982 Jeep J10
    So, while looking, I found an excellent deal for a 1982 J10 pickup on Craigslist,
    not far from my parents and my wife’s parents home.
    The seller was a widow and it was her late husband’s truck.
    He passed away in September and it has sat in the driveway, only used by a neighbor once to haul a tiller.

This J10 is powered by a AMC 360 V8 and is backed by a TF727 and NP219.
    Some of its amenities are: A/C (converted to R134), cruise, tilt wheel and rear sliding glass window.
    Not mounted, but included is a factory brush bar and the original Muscle Bar grill and shell.
    It has power windows and door locks, but I wonder if the doors came from a Wagoneer,
    for it sports a Pignose grill from a Wagoneer.
    It has burgundy interior, with a super nice black dash pad, black sports steering wheel and black A/C vents/controls.
    Its burgundy head liner is in nice shape
    The burgundy passenger door panel is in okay condition while the driver’s door panel is missing.
    The only original seat is the driver’s side black and grey clothe bucket and is in fair shape.
    The passenger seat is a very nice maroon clothe seat from a van and its mate for the driver’s seat was included.
    Its long bed is covered with a white truck cap.

I spoke with the owner a few times on the phone, made a deposit and arranged for a pickup, December 28 at 1:00PM.
    She called a few days before the pickup to let me know that she drove around the block and it was running rough.
    She told me that after I saw it, that if I did not want it, that I could back out and she would refund my deposit.
    I arrived on time, to discover that what I thought was a dirty white truck,
    was really a black truck that the outside had sprayed primer gray. (I like black!)
    It was nearly rest free, with some rust in the outside bed seam, and a couple of small spots on the lower fenders.
    The seam at the bottom of the doors has rusted open.
    It started fine, with a slight rough idle.
    After the transaction, I drove down to the local Go-mart for a small bit of gas (high price)
    and discovered some vacuum lines laying loose.
    I found a screw in the cab, plugged the hose feeding all the others and the idle smoothed right out.

Disaster
    I drove from Fairmont, WV to Weston, WV where I filled up with gas at Sheetz.
    I left Weston, where at near mile marker 85, I was following a red Chevy Colbalt.
    In the passing lane was a tan-ish minivan and my wife was following in our KIA.
    I was thinking what a good deal I made and how well this truck was running, how nice it rode, tracked straight,
    when the red Colbalt, changed lanes, sorta cutting off the minivan, and continued onto the median.
    When the Colbalt’s wheels dropped off the inside lane shoulder,
    the driver jerked the wheel back to the right, lost control and shot back across the Interstate and into the guard rail.
    The collision with the guardrail bounced the Colbalt right in my path.
    I saw it coming, applied the brakes, but it was to late.
    I hit the Colbalt square in the drivers door.
    I limped the J10 down to the rest area and walked back to the crash site, where three WVDOT trucks had stopped to assist.
    The driver was a middle aged female and surprisingly was not hurt, as she only complained of a headache.
    EMT and VFD arrived, then we all stood in the now rain as we waited for the law enforcement to show up.
    The other driver waited in a WVDOT truck.
    The Lewis County Sheriff Deputy filled out the accident report, charged the other driver with Failure to Maintain Control
    and for the fault of the accident.
    The distance, right at 50 miles from where I picked up the J10 to the accident site.
    Time, about 2 hours.
    50 miles and 2 hours! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to me!
    I am such a major loser!

The Damage
    The J10's passenger side fender is pealed back.
    The passenger side corner of the hood and radiator core support in the headlight area are hurt bad.
    The radiator core support from the radiator to the driver side is fine.
    The hood is jammed to the back and to the left.
    It will not open and I'm sure it will need to be cut off.
    The worst looking part is the axle is pushed back on the passenger side about 2 inches
    But the underneath is fine: the frame is not bent; steering assembly is fine; the spring is fine.
    The Deputy allowed me to park the J10 in rest area for the weekend.
    Today, my father and I went back to dolly home the J10.
    While upon the Dolly, I saw where the collision caused the passenger side front spring shackle to be rotated up,
    instead of hanging down like on the driver's side.
    All it would take would be to somehow ‘pop’ the shackle back in its normal position
    and the front end mechanicals would be (should be) fine.
    It still runs fine and I drove it up and off the Dolly.
    It is parked at my parents house, waiting on the Insurance adjuster to come out and check out the damage.
    I fear I will be in for a fight to have my J10 not to be declared totaled, but have it repaired.

Last edited by The PIG Smith; 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM.
    Bryan Smith
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
    1986 Jeep J20
    - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Has become a Long Term Project.
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
    1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
    - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
    ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
    Originally posted by Lindel
    Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Very sad Bryan! Glad you were not damaged personally.
    That is a heckuva story too! 50 miles... dangit.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
      GrimJeeperReaper
      • Jul 08, 2002

Awwwwww JEEEZ....
      Well glad you werent' hurt..and I know all too well how you have sorely been hunting for one of these.
      I'm looking at the pic's and seeing something that is fixable..
      What the insurance says..might be a different story, but I wish you the best of luck there.
      Aaron
      1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• Mahamotorworks
        327 Rambler
        • Sep 11, 2007

Having been in the Paint and body bussiness they will because of the age of the vehicle, try and total it. After the adjuster has a estimate in hand, and he tell you it is totaled. Tell him you want to take the money and keep the truck. You will probably get less then what the repair would cost but you will have some cash in hand to look for parts. I know that there are some realy nice people here that may have a fender that they dont need any more. My only concern from the pics you took is the spring. If the shackle is moved like it is then some thing had to give on the other side of the axle. With out looking at it I would say you will need a new set of front springs. It dosent look like you will need to have the frame straightened. so you should be able to do most of the work your self.

It is a great find. I almost called to find out more info about the truck but decided it was too far for me to pick up. Good luck.

MAHA
        1989 Grand Wagoneer Engein Reaplacement: In Planing Stages.

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

yeah,fix it then paint it flat black!
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

aw for f's sake that blows

yeah total it out and take the buyback. Then go junkyard/for sale shoppin'. One thing to LOOK CLOSELY AT: your upper cab corner on the side that got hit. If that's crinkled in forget about anything ever lining up. and check your cab mounts, hits like that shear bolts. Shock mounts can bend too, really check everything with a good staredown (after a few shots to calm down) I've parted out an 82 J10 that had a fairly worse hit than that, heck, the frame was a foot out of of square :P Doesnt take much to zigzag em with a corner hit.

Good luck and post up wanted parts when you need em, sure we'll all help out.
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Geeeep
              304 AMC
              • Nov 02, 2002

That bites, hopefully you can work it out to keep it if it's still unbent.

I have a front clip (though it's in central PA) if you end up looking for one (might have the bumper too but I'd have to check).
              Dave Pitts, located directly over the center of the earth!

GW - 87 GW 360/4bbl/727/208 Vinyl floor, manual windows, no woodgrain
              Find someone to haul your Jeep here: YT Hauling Schedule

Comment

• JeremySmith
                350 Buick
                • Sep 03, 2004

Wow - thats too bad. It looks fairly salvagable though. Expecially if you want the front clip I have in my back yard. I picked it up from craig last summer, mainly because it was attached to the boobie grill I bought, and it was in too good of shape to go to the scrapper, which was where it was heading if I didn't take it. If you're interested, I'll go snap some pics when the sun comes up. Price? Well I've been asking myself why I drug it home, so you can have it after I grab the grill.
                1978 Cherokee Chief 360/T-18/D20
                Midwest FSJ Gathering Website
                Three out of four voices in my head thought it was a good idea.......

Comment

• J10Mike
                  Delightfully Incompetent
                  • Jun 04, 2003

Bry,
                  I am very happy to hear that nobody was hurt.
                  But...Dam man. if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.
                  Maybe it's time you went to the "Darkside".
                  www.j10mike.com
                  Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• janie
                    • Aug 11, 2001

Bryan, the most important thing is, your okay. The J-10 can get fixed. You know where to ask for parts.

Take care
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                      King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by JeremySmith
                      Wow - thats too bad. It looks fairly salvagable though. Expecially if you want the front clip I have in my back yard. I picked it up from craig last summer, mainly because it was attached to the boobie grill I bought, and it was in too good of shape to go to the scrapper, which was where it was heading if I didn't take it. If you're interested, I'll go snap some pics when the sun comes up. Price? Well I've been asking myself why I drug it home, so you can have it after I grab the grill.
                      Thanx.
                      I think I will take you up on this offer.
                      Later, I'll send you a PM.
                      Last edited by The PIG Smith; 12-30-2007, 05:59 AM.
                      Bryan Smith
                      1986 Jeep J20
                      1982 Jeep J10
                      1981 Jeep J20
                      1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• drlocke
                        Roadside Mechanic
                        • Dec 29, 2003

Gads! I thought I had a bad day yesterday. But nothing like that.

Hope the adjuster is kind to you, and that things can get put right.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                          King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by J10Mike
                          Bry,
                          I am very happy to hear that nobody was hurt.
                          But...Dam man. if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.
                          Maybe it's time you went to the "Darkside".
                          LOL!
                          Yes, I've thinking along those lines also.
                          I must not being right or something...

I told my kids, that we (I) need to look at the positives of life, which are hard to to do when you are going through rough stretch.
                          Was easy to tell my kids this, leaving the accident site in our KIA, but is hard to put into practice.
                          I was thinking, the few hundred dollars I saved and scrounged and worked for: Gone.
                          I still have my DD problem to solve and now I have other "project" that I really did not need.
                          I need to listen to own words, be strong for my family and myself.

In reality, the positives are: that my oldest daughter and I were wearing our seat beats and
                          that we were not hurt and the other driver was not hurt.
                          (another positive: they very nice black seat belts and buckles! )

It is truly a wonder that we escaped any injury.
                          When I went back to get the J10, I brought a camera to take some pics of the guardrail this lady hit.

Other blessings are wonderful friends I have here and that maybe, a huge maybe, I will get some insurance $$$.

When I get my J10 fixed, I do want to get that bumper sticker that says, "My crumple zone is your car."

I drove that crippled J10 to the Rest area.
                          The Colbat was destroyed.
                          The lady had to crawl out of the passenger side, for the mighty J10 caved in the driver's side,
                          broke out all the rear and side glass, broke both spindles as the wheels were just laying over, loose.
                          It was bad.
                          The Colbat, hauled away on a roll back, the scrapper's torch is its fate.
                          Last edited by The PIG Smith; 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM.
                          Bryan Smith
                          1986 Jeep J20
                          1982 Jeep J10
                          1981 Jeep J20
                          1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

There ya go Bryan; another positive spin. The front clip is really very easy to swap as a complete unit. The Cobalt does not have that option.
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.
                            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• janie
                              • Aug 11, 2001

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                              There ya go Bryan; another positive spin. The front clip is really very easy to swap as a complete unit. The Cobalt does not have that option.
                              Yup, ditto to what Flint just said. Bryan, I've got an extra pignose here if you need it.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

Working...
                              X