Snow Shoes on Brutus (dialup not recommended))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BRUTUS
    360 AMC
    • Dec 06, 2005

Snow Shoes on Brutus (dialup not recommended))

So it started snowing yesterday really light snow. This morning was like a light sleet, overcast during most of the day. I got off work at 6:30pm MST and WHAMMO... we have snow, big soft flaky powdered gold. Ethan and Michael know what I am talking about. Anyways, I have only had the snow shoes on Brutus one time before and was anxious to do it again. Here are the pics in front of my house before going out on the town.

If I could just get the snow to stop for a second so I could take a "clear" picture. Oh well maybe when the snow lets up on friday (according to the weatherman) I will get some clear snow pics.

And last but not least, the pictures I took for Flint!!

I took Brutus out for a hiatus for nearly 2 hours. It was long enough that my cheeks still hurt from smiling all night. Those are new headlamps in case you are wondering. They are brighter but still not as bright as I want. I will be doing the headlamp relay upgrade in the near future.
    "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
    Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
    Current Homepage Status: RUNNING
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

You put chains on for that bit of dandruff?
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• BRUTUS
      360 AMC
      • Dec 06, 2005

I am gettin rid of the 33's for good this spring and wanted to get SOME use out of them.
      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

When it gets bad enough to need chains, we just don't go anywhere. They look new! We got lightly dusted last night but have clear skies now. That grille style looks strangely familiar and the slanted faux covers are a nice touch! You have a home for those 33s yet? What type are they?
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• BRUTUS
          360 AMC
          • Dec 06, 2005

They have only been used once. More than anything I wanted to have them on JUST IN CASE so I didn't have to put them on this morning to go to work. I was kinda concerned that the sleet we had already gotten was iced under the snowpack. I was sliding everywhere in my Jetta on the way home from work.

The way the faux covers are is the only place that I had stock sheet metal to attach. I like it alot though.

Flint... I don't have a home for them yet. Here is a pic of them the day I bought Brutus.

They are "Force 4 All Terrains" 33 x 12.50 with decent tread. Are you interested in them when I get rid of them?

Comment

• Mountainvice
            232 I6
            • Aug 08, 2000

How much snow you get there? We barely got 2-3" in Bailey.

Nice rig!
            1983 Wagoneer Limited- Stk 360, TF727,NP208, 4" Superlift, 33 12.5's Hankook MT's, Magnafow exhaust system,Wilderness rack, Rhino grille, Herculinered interior, hula girl.

Comment

• BRUTUS
              360 AMC
              • Dec 06, 2005

I would say we got 6 or 7" as of right now. The sky is kinda clearing up right now but it is supposed to continue through friday.

Thanks I will let Brutus know. He was sure happy to get out and stretch his legs last night. He didn't have any problems starting this morning (block heaters are the best)

Comment

• badaboom
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jun 05, 2001

If Flint isn't interested in giving them a home
                Let Me know, I can probably give them a home.
                1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• BRUTUS
                  360 AMC
                  • Dec 06, 2005

I will update as soon as I know. I can't tell a difference in the tread they have on them now versus the tread they had when I bought them. The story goes that the PO put the 4" lift on and had these tires ready to go on but never got around to it. I don't think they were new when I got them but rather barely used. You can see some skuffs on the pic above.

Right now I am purchasing new spring perches for my Dana Pro-Rock 60 front and Corp 14 bolt rear. I should have them welded on in the next couple of weeks. Then I cut the U-bolts and at least get it up on the new springs/axles/tires.

You can see pics of my lift progress at the following address:

Comment

• bigun
                    • Feb 10, 2003

Welp 7 inches on top of ice I will concede the need for extra traction needed. Over 20 year ago a friend of mine and I worked for different security patrol compainies, I had a Land cruiser at the time and we had contracts with both companies to pull vehicles out if they got stuck. Well it so happened that we were both off when Alb. got hit with a really good snow storm. We were working out of another freinds house his wife was answering the phone and then would call us on the CB to let us know where we needed to go next. We picked up 3 or 4 pizza's that night and got to eat a slice out of each one because as soon as we would get back to the house we would get another call. I ran bare foot till the roads started icing up then I put the chains on the front by 2 AM I had chained up both front and rear axles and was the only thing still mobile in the city, we finally quit around 3am by then we had pulled what seemed like a 100 people out including cops. I rmember one cop in front of us doing a couple of 360 on Central Ave right in front of the Universty of New Mexico, and ended up in the parking lot. I don't know how he managed it but he went right on in through the drive way and never hit the curb. We stopped to see if he was OK, he said yes but he was thinking about spending the rest of his shift right there in the parking lot! AAh the joys of being young now days it starts snowing and I head for the house LOL
                    charlie
                    KB0HXA
                    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                    Robert A. Heinlein
                    The birth of CROM is recorded here
                    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Louiseven
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 08, 2006

Wow all this talk of snow is amazing to me. We are at the end of a heatwave here in Cali.
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer/Mary II/TFI/6"lift/33's-driver
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer/sold

Comment

• BRUTUS
                        360 AMC
                        • Dec 06, 2005

Well I drove Brutus to work today and had a blast. I love having traction when few others do.

I elected myself to go get the office personel lunch today just so I could go out a drive in the snow. I hit 3 curbs and did 8 donuts total. The boss decided that it was so nice of me to "risk life and limb" get everyone lunch that she even bought lunch!!! Oh yeah... life is good when the snow flies.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

Thanks for the offer on the tires. I will pass on them. I am keeping my eyes open for something more agressive, but they do look like fine tires. 7" of snow?? We barely got dusted last night. Didn't mean to bust yer chops on the chains, better to be prepared than get caught sliding on the ice. But, I am serious about needing them. If I can't get there in one of these Heeps without chains, I just stay home. Which hasn't happened "yet" in 5 winters here.
                          Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• musicman jeep 87
                            258 I6
                            • Mar 07, 2005

I have 235 LT tires on old Woody and they do just great. Last week when it was ice coverd roads. Those "all wheel drive" vans, ect. were trying to go forward, Woody took off like he was on dry pavement. All wheel drive, yea right! I was asked by a van driver how do I get such traction. I told him "It's a Jeep thing." He offered to buy Woody. Woody no for sale. This old Comanche would be lost without his Woody.

================================

87 GW
                            SNB

Comment

• BRUTUS
                              360 AMC
                              • Dec 06, 2005

I don't know what I would do without a woody either

Flint, I remember one storm in 2003 where I was driving Brutus (was not by any means reliable at the time) in Denver and I parked for the night at a strategic location for re-aquisition later in the night and rode with my buddy (from Steamboat Springs) in a brand new '03 Dodge (my first ride in it... so new the temp tags were right off the press) with all the trimmings. I remember noticing that he kept the dodge in 4 wheel drive the entire night, dry roads, wet roads, slush roads, highway... everything. I asked him, "why do you leave your brand new truck in 4x4... aren't you worried about burning up the transfer case?" He replied, "I bought this truck to use it, not to baby it, not to take unnecesary risks, like driving in the snow without 4 wheel drive." That reply really changed my outlook on 4 wheel drive and chains as it pertains to this conversation. I realize that I cannot put my chains on when I am stuck in the ditch. So I would much rather err on the side of caution than end up trying to rig my way out of the ditch. Which still isn't a bad proposition because Brutus is paid in full. Later in the night I ended up taking the chains off because I had soooo much traction.

Also the morning of the sleet I saw two 4x4 trucks upside down in the ditches on the way to my work (about 5 miles). Seeing something like that BEFORE the snow hits makes a guy think a little AFTER the snow hits.

I have some 38 x 16.5 x 16.5 Swampers for sale if you want them:

Sorry about the size. I am at work now and cannot resize them.

Comment

Working...
                              X