X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

It's the vent hose. The original shot straight up and then went down kinking the hose shut so I put a 90 degree bend on it so that it wouldn't kink.

So far so goood on the fitech. Starts up Right away first try in the morning. It dies once or twice when I first start it. but I still need to figure how to fine tune it. Runs down the highway great. Just took it up to over 70mph for the first time I've owned this thing. It's coming together.

I just put a new water pump, alternator, fuel pump,starter, and timing chain in so I need to start all over again with my tuning/timing which I'm so very novice at. Dealing with some pinging but fitech seems to be taking care of it and adjusting it out by itself. Gonna re time it better this weekend it think. Just need some more research how to time it right.

I just told fitech to relearn so it is for now.
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by ShagWagon
      Dealing with some pinging but fitech seems to be taking care of it and adjusting it out by itself.
      The fitech unit is incapable of taking care of pinging. You would need a system that monitors a knock sensor for that.
      If you're hearing audible pinging, you need to take care of it yourself. The sooner the better. Excessive pinging can be a death sentence for an engine.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• yossarian19
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2016

Yeah, I've never gone any further than setting timing @ factory spec. All my cars have had electronic ignition timing, so I have no idea what the total timing is supposed to be. I think Propbesport posted his megasquirt file, come to think of it I think I downloaded that...
        Yeah. Here we go. He starts his advance at ~15 degrees btdc, out at 6,000 rpm it maxes out at 38 degrees.
        For what that's worth.

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

I had it running pretty good for a few weeks and was making the adjustments according to the instructions. Had it starting right up cold and hot, and adjusted some hesitations out of it while cruising and wot it.

Then I decided to replace the timing belt, water pump, belts, etc.... while I was timing it and testing it it wouldn't turn over. Ended up bieng the starterr decided to die. When I swapped out a different starter it started right up but it was late and I don't think I adjusted the timing right. I replaced it and reset automatic learn function. Test drove it for 30 miles or so had some really bad pinging at wot.

The next day drove same 30 miles and np with the pinging. Only slight if I try. I think the fitechnadjusted it out after a cycle or two of starting, warming up and some travel as it's auto learn is supposed to do.

I'm gonna readjust my timing this weekend. Get it dialed in first there, Then try to figure out all,these adjustments to make with the handheld. It's got one for cold start, hot start and a few others, but they don't really tell you which way to adjust. Just to adjust and how much one way or the other and see if it improves. It's all new French to me.
          87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by ShagWagon
            I had it running pretty good for a few weeks and was making the adjustments according to the instructions. Had it starting right up cold and hot, and adjusted some hesitations out of it while cruising and wot it.

Then I decided to replace the timing belt, water pump, belts, etc.... while I was timing it and testing it it wouldn't turn over. Ended up bieng the starterr decided to die. When I swapped out a different starter it started right up but it was late and I don't think I adjusted the timing right. I replaced it and reset automatic learn function. Test drove it for 30 miles or so had some really bad pinging at wot.

The next day drove same 30 miles and np with the pinging. Only slight if I try. I think the fitechnadjusted it out after a cycle or two of starting, warming up and some travel as it's auto learn is supposed to do.

I'm gonna readjust my timing this weekend. Get it dialed in first there, Then try to figure out all,these adjustments to make with the handheld. It's got one for cold start, hot start and a few others, but they don't really tell you which way to adjust. Just to adjust and how much one way or the other and see if it improves. It's all new French to me.
            Again the fitech cannot do anything with regard to engine pinging.
            It can adjust fuel, and control timing, but it cannot detect or "adjust it out".

If you are running lean you can get/have pinging.
            The fitech would richen the fuel mixture and this would reduce pinging.
            However the system doesn't know the engine is pinging.
            What happened was likely the system adjusting the mixture richer based on feedback from the o2 sensor, and resulted in less pinging.

If you are hearing pinging, you need to take care of it yourself.
            Either by correcting the timing, or adjusting the spark table (if you're utilizing timing control?).
            Otherwise known as tuning. Your system requires it, even though they don't call it tuning, and have a clever marketing scheme to misrepresent the system as self tuning.

Don't continue to just drive it, if you're hearing pinging, it is VERY back for an engine.
            Tony

Comment

• Woodchomper
              350 Buick
              • Dec 17, 2002

Nice looking fuel unit. I'd put a boot over the power terminal. If your luck is like mine a wrench will find its way across those terminals while you are tuning it.
              1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
              1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• ShagWagon
                350 Buick
                • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by Woodchomper
                Nice looking fuel unit. I'd put a boot over the power terminal. If your luck is like mine a wrench will find its way across those terminals while you are tuning it.
                Yes. Thank you good one!

My luck my son would do it on purpose looks like a wrench holder.

Comment

• ShagWagon
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 10, 2016

So if it's running lean it causes pinging?

Fitech says set IAC to between 3-10 with the adjuster screw just to start. I had dialed that in to idle at 5-6 before I changed mech fuel pump out and changed timing chain. Now it runs below 3 sometimes. I'll have to adjust the screw and get that back to parameters first. I think that controls the fuel regulator on the TB.

Thanks for that. Will help me and give me somewhere to start and look for.

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

IAC = idle air control. A computer controlled means of maintaining a good idle.

Yes, if running lean the potential for pinging is increased.
                    If you're hearing pinging, you need to start by dialing back the initial timing some.
                    Generally a stockish engine @ seal level is happy in the 10*-15* intial advance range.

Are you running timing control, or no? Still have EGR or no?
                    Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                      350 Buick
                      • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                      IAC = idle air control. A computer controlled means of maintaining a good idle.

Yes, if running lean the potential for pinging is increased.
                      If you're hearing pinging, you need to start by dialing back the initial timing some.
                      Generally a stockish engine @ seal level is happy in the 10*-15* intial advance range.

Are you running timing control, or no? Still have EGR or no?
                      I don't know what timing control even is yet. And if EGR is emissions related. I think all that was stripped off before I bought it. I pulled some bracket off the bottom of my power steering pump that seemed to go to something I didn't have.

I think the Haynes book said 12* at 650rpm in drive. That's what I was going to shoot for on Sunday.
                      Once I get that I'll reset completely the IAC, have it self learn and adjust what it says to after it gets a good run or two see what I can figure out with the data and what it all means.

Should be fun.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Timing control = computer controls timing advance. The distributor is modified to lock out mechanical/vacuum advance.
                        EGR = valve that reintroduces some exhaust into intake to reduce emissions.
                        Without EGR hooked up the vacuum advance can add to much timing and make engine more prone to pinging.

You shouldn't need to do a relearn everytime you make a change.
                        All FI systems are "learning" they are always making adjustments.
                        The more you drive the better it should get.
                        Tony

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Achilles
                          Are you running the knock sensor babywag?
                          I don't want to hijack his thread here, feel free to PM me or
                          post a new thread.
                          Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 10, 2016

So tried to time it this weekend and somewhat failed.

Put a timing light on #1 and tried to find the timing mark on balancer and couldn't. Tried to find timing marks on timing cover. Took a while but I found them and a way to see them. But still couldn't see timing mark on balancer. Crawled under and marked the line on balancer with a white paint pen. Still no mark. I'm looking around where 12* should be because the marks only go to 0-5-10 just can't find the mark on balancer.

It's my first time trying this so not quite sure what I'm doing. My stepbrother showed me a long time ago how to time by ear and turn distributor till you hear the sweet spot and should be good. So I did that and it helped cut down on ping but it's still slightly there.

I read up on vacuum timing best I could but I don't have a vacuum gauge. I do have a vacuum meter on my handheld which reads 19 or so but jumps to 24 about every ten seconds when the motor sound like a miss for a second then goes to 19 steady for the next ten seconds.

Appearantly it says to max out vacuum then "back off a bit".

What's max vacuum amount? Whats back off? How much and which way to turn distributor to back off?

And I couldn't find an EGR briefly. I'll look a littler better I had some bad lighting at the time.

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Did you unplug the vacuum advance vacuum hose from distributor?
                              Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                                350 Buick
                                • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
                                Did you unplug the vacuum advance vacuum hose from distributor?
                                No. What does that do? I'll go reread.

Comment

Working...
                                X