X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepinPete
    304 AMC
    • Dec 09, 2003

Any wood cutting carbide router bit will cut aluminum too. I would recommend using a 1/2" shank bit though. Tried using a trim bit with a 1/4" shank, and bent it. Anyway, use something like this.

Assuming you can get the router inside the wheel, cut a piece of plywood/particle board/plastic with a 4.75" hole. Center it up on one side of the wheel, and route from the other side. The bearing on the bit follows your pattern. It will make a lot of noise, and those aluminum chips are HOT!
    Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
    Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
    Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• krek
      Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

Thanks! My plan was to make a template from MDF that will bolt to the lug holes in the wheel and provide a surface for the bearing to ride on.

Hopefully that will leave me with a relatively clean and round surface.

I'm out of town until the 13th but will report back with my success/failure after I try it.
      SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• Hammer
        304 AMC
        • Apr 25, 2002

A high quality bearing is VERY helpful!
        Second most important part is to have large flutes with large spaces between the flutes. I like a 2 to 4 flute bit (depends on the size). A large shank, and large bearing.
        You cannot let the bit get HOT.
        And you don't want to plug the bit up. This is where the larger flutes and spacing will help a LOT.
        Btw, you can buy very large die grinder bits that will fit in the router, and will work very well.
        Here is one specifically made for this.

And a link with some prices.
        Solid Carbide Spiral 'O' Flute, Aluminum Cutting Inch & Metric Router Bits, The Most Popular Design. Fits most CNC machines. For Aluminum, Brass, Copper and Non-ferrous Metals

Couple others here.
        78 Chero, 38"s and minimal lift

Comment

• Hammer
          304 AMC
          • Apr 25, 2002

If you use those bits, you need to have the router bumping against a template/jig to keep your circle.
          78 Chero, 38"s and minimal lift

Comment

• BRUTUS
            360 AMC
            • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by Hammer
            Finally.
            O-Ring, Silicone Rubber, 0.210 x 14.300 ID
            If anyone is searching this thread and you have a Parker fitting/hydraulic store near you Parker has two o-rings in this neighborhood that would work... I would suggest their 2-383 which is 13.975" ID x 0.210 dia. The next size up is 2-384 which is 14.975" ID x 0.210 dia.

Sweet wheels! good deal too... hopefully you are able to do a nice job with the grinding/routing of the insides. I was going to suggest that you take them to a waterjet/machine shop and have them cut the holes. Since you have eight rims I think it would be worth it to have a nice finish. I know on my waterjet at work I couldn't imagine it costing more than $30 total.
            "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
            Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
            Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• krek
              Perpetually Perplexed

• Apr 23, 2006

I made my wooden template today and routed 4 of the wheels. Worked like a charm!

Wheels are mounted and the chassis rolls again.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement... this place is the best!
              SuperChief Project Thread: click

The "ChopTop" Project Thread: click

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                Hey watch this...
                • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by krek
                I made my wooden template today and routed 4 of the wheels. Worked like a charm!

Wheels are mounted and the chassis rolls again.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement... this place is the best!
                Well, let me be the first to say...

Comment

Working...
                X