International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-21-2020, 08:12 PM
230 Tornado

76 J10 - front suspension

Ok.. need input again. Although an 8 Jeep owner, this is my first J10 truck and I'm a bit confused on the front suspension. As some of you know (and responded -thanks) to another post on my lift and front drive shaft issues, I was sitting reading the Haynes Repair manual for my year and noticed that it was showing a front stablizer bar which my J10 does not have.

The u-bolt tie plates doesn't have the extra area for the stablizer bar link so I"m thinking this is stock but still want to know and would like to hear from y'all.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-22-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8JeepOwner
Ok.. need input again. Although an 8 Jeep owner, this is my first J10 truck and I'm a bit confused on the front suspension. As some of you know (and responded -thanks) to another post on my lift and front drive shaft issues, I was sitting reading the Haynes Repair manual for my year and noticed that it was showing a front stablizer bar which my J10 does not have.

The u-bolt tie plates doesn't have the extra area for the stablizer bar link so I"m thinking this is stock but still want to know and would like to hear from y'all.

Thanks,
Dave
Do not believe anything in the Haynes or Chiltons books. They try to cover too many years, and are full of errors. Maybe useful for fluid capacities or other simple things. Also excellent doorstops or to hold up the corner of your bed.

The TSM for your Jeep is available here: https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html free to read and download. Way more info than the parts store books, and specific to your model year.
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk
Old 10-23-2020, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreese
Do not believe anything in the Haynes or Chiltons books...

Facts. Sell the Haynes/Chilton and get a TSM (for free).

Not all FSJs came with the anti-roll bar. I wouldn't say it was "needed" but if my truck did not have one, I would probably add one at some point.

First check your frame to see if you have the pads to mount it. There would be 2 pads with 2 holes each, welded to the bottom of your frame, directly above your steering linkage.

If you have the pads, installing an anti-roll bar is as simple as buying the parts and bolting it in.
If you do not have the pads, it is kind of a pain to install them and probably not worth the effort.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 10-23-2020, 05:06 PM
350 Buick

I never felt the need for a sway bar on my trucks, the Wagoneer and Cherokee are a bit different.

Remember when looking for parts that the J20 used a larger diameter bar than the others.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?