International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 10-07-2020, 10:37 PM
230 Tornado

Water Pump Mess

Can't turn back now.....after reading literally hundreds of forums (even a few that said just sell my 87' Grand Wagoneer and replace it with another rather than fixing water pump!)....well here I am:
Two cracked water pump bolts, one cracked power steering bracket, and this thing hasn't budged besides all the coolant spilling out. Even though power steering bracket cracked on driver side bolt, I still cannot get that piece to clear the bolt that attaches it to the water pump, because it wont clear the attachment to the power steering pump and is wedged against power steering pulley. Shroud, fan, belts all removed. Do I have to remove the power steering pulley or pump/reservoir do move that bracket far enough to clear that bolt (pretty sure answer is yes)? And if so, how? I have read that pulling this rusted on pulley will be next to impossible....and if I can, what type of puller do I need? I took some pictures to show my progress or lack thereof, but not sure how to attach them.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:29 AM
350 Buick

did you get all the bolts out of the waterpump? to replace the broken bracket you have to remove the pulley from the pump, not hard if you have the correct tool( rent at oriellys or autozone), soak all bolts, nuts and pulley shaft with wd-40 for a few days before removal.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 PM
230 Tornado

Brackets pictured?

Ok, thanks - I thought the pulley was attached to the pump/reservoir. I also attached a picture of a bracket that holds the alternator/ac compressor - does that need to be removed as well? There are no bolts going through it that attach it to the water pump. If you can see it, there is one bolt out to the right of the aforementioned bracket, it just keeps spinning and I cannot pull that one out as well....this one is attached to the pump
Old 10-09-2020, 07:17 AM
350 Buick

There are no pics. Yes you will need to remove the a/c-alt bracket, the pulley on the power steering pump is pressed on and need a special removal tool to get it off so you can replace the broken bracket for that. The pulley on the water pump should just come off once the fan hub is removed, then you can get to all the bolts holding the water pump on.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 AM
258 I6

I don't know if I'm thinking of the right thing or not, but the bracket on the front of my power steering pump is removable without removing the pulley.

I think there's a little grub screw-type-thing that can be undone with a small wrench, allowing the two to be separated with the pulley in place.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
1974 Ford F100 390
Old 10-09-2020, 09:48 AM
258 I6

I've just taken a photo to hopefully show you what I mean.
The bit circled in red is a little screw that can be removed with a small wrench, allowing the bracket to be separated from the pump.

Hopefully yours is the same!

Power Steering Pump Bracket by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
1974 Ford F100 390
Old 10-11-2020, 10:33 PM
232 I6

Maybe these photos help. Click on the photo number to the right to enlarge in Flickr.

[/url]1208191500 by highsiera

clearer views of most of the water pump bolts:

[/url]1027190031a by highsiera

[/url]1027190031b by highsiera

If the PS pump bracket(s) are broken, you will have to remove the pump pulley as others have said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BnvNmiXts

Fleet Fox
Old 10-19-2020, 04:02 PM
230 Tornado

Thank you y'all...next obstacle

Sorry about the delay (3rd baby arrived). Ok...so the power steering pulley is removed, and the bracket is off. The ac/alt bracket is off, bolts are out (besides two broken ones at the top), and it still isn't budging. It looks like there is another sort of bracket that the water pump is wedged in between right above the passenger side outlet of water pump, right below the a/c compressor.
I took a pic of it, but can't post them (it keeps saying that I exceed forum limits, even though it is smallest size on my phone - 29KB). I'm guessing the water pump would just slide down if it weren't for the bolts that broke off, but that isn't an option right now.....if someone can guide me how to post a picture from my phone to this, please let me know - thanks in advance for everyone's help - you guys rock
Old 10-19-2020, 07:15 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

pict hosting

use an alternate site, either google or ....

https://imgbb.com/

or

https://imgur.com/

otherwise the PS bracket is fixed onto the water pump "stud" by an extra nut, and yes it can be a mess if more than 2 PS bolts are going south

cheers on the 3rd kid

See Ouray 2013, Engine bits and Fuel and brake lines, and Body work
Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 AM
230 Tornado

All bolts out

Like I mentioned, all the bolts are out except the two at the top which are broken....it is not moving. Under the a/c compressor is a piece where a bolt went through a bracket that looks attached to a/c compressor to the water pump. Again, I have a picture - just had my tech team at school try to make it as small as possible - still didn't work. It says on site you are allowed 488kb for jpg, and mine is down to 11kb to show you what I think is preventing pump from sliding forward....I can't nudge it down bc of two broken bolts, so it has to come forward, and this piece is I'm referencing is in the way
Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 PM
232 I6

this? Alternator brackets, with alternator removed.

Fox
Old 10-22-2020, 11:23 AM

remove the two nuts on the rear of the power steering pump,that should allow the front brace to swing out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 10-22-2020, 09:49 PM
230 Tornado

Thanks for hanging with me....

https://postimg.cc/gallery/Thw7gHq

Maybe this one works (thanks solsaks for instructions) for pic - I attached tape to it.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:53 PM
230 Tornado

wedged

FleetFox - it is the silver bracket behind the alternator bracket where the one bolt is showing in your picture. As you can see, my bolt is out - but it looks as if since the two top bolts are broken off, and that bracket is in the way, I can't move it out in between. Sooooo, is that what is blocking the water pump from being removed? Do I need to remove the a/c?
Old 10-22-2020, 09:54 PM
230 Tornado

Borken bolts

And just to be specific in the pic fleetfox posted, my two broken bolts are on each side of where the top coolant hose of water pump is
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 PM
232 I6

Thanks for the pic. Yes that's the aluminum pedestal the compressor sits on and because of your broken bolts it needs to come off. There are four bolts thru the compressor and that pedestal. Remove them and but DO NOT remove the AC lines. You can lift the compressor off and tuck it out of the way with the lines attached. It's not easy, you'll need a hand and a spanner under the pedestal to hold the nuts while you loosen the bolts from above. Once that's off, you should be home free. There should be enough meat on the bolts you broke once the water pump is off to vice grip them out, but I suggest PB blaster or Kroil soaking them over night before attempting that surgery. Those bolts can be found at most hardware stores or home centers. I believe there are 3 distinct lengths, but all the same thread pitch.

You're close. Patience is the most important tool in your box now.

Fleet Fox
Old 10-23-2020, 04:35 AM
350 Buick

The a/c bracket and alt brackets need to come off, the long studs have nuts that need to come off, there are multiple 1/4 bolts top and bottom of the water pump that need to come off, the power steering pump needs to come off, the water pump pulley needs to come off, then a little persuasion will get it off.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley-moeracing
The a/c bracket and alt brackets need to come off, the long studs have nuts that need to come off, there are multiple 1/4 bolts top and bottom of the water pump that need to come off, the power steering pump needs to come off, the water pump pulley needs to come off, then a little persuasion will get it off.

yah,all that stuff has to come off first. this really is an easier job. you are gonna want some heat to get those broken bolts out.

Quote:
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 AM
230 Tornado

10-4

You guys kick ass, thanks - always humbled that people take the time to help someone they do not know....much thanks, I will tackle this weekend and post update, thanks again y'all
Old 10-23-2020, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Awesome! Standing by. Take your time and do not mix up which nuts/bolts go where.
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring