J-10 Power Door and Window Conversion: Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Ironsides
    258 I6
    • Jul 06, 2014

J-10 Power Door and Window Conversion: Worth it?

Recently I did something stupid and ruined my Driver side door. I was backing into my driveway and my door popped open unnoticed while i was looking the other direction. It caught on my gate, and even though I was going real slow, it bent back... beyond 90˚ before I noticed!
    It wouldn't shut, and my front QP was creased too.

After strapping it somewhat shut and taking it to the body shop, they bent the hinges back, but the door still wont close and now I'm looking at finding a different door.

Is the swap worth it if I could source a clean set of GW doors with power Locks and windows?

If so, what wiring would I have to run to make an easy unbolt/bolt replacement?

Is there a thread on this?

Cheers!
    Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
    Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
    '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
    '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT
  • Towtruck
    350 Buick
    • Oct 11, 2001

I normally use the truck with my sidekick Rufus riding shotgun. I like the power windows on my J10 a lot, but didn't hook up the power locks because Rufus would get confused as to which switch was which. (Get as much of the GW wiring as possible if you do this...not a big deal, but lots of cross car wires to hook up the driver side control for the passenger side switch).

....Rufus

DSCN1892 by Rufus, on Flickr
    Last edited by Towtruck; 11-17-2020, 06:06 PM.
    J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• FleetFox
      258 I6
      • Apr 04, 2018

If you can find loaded doors, with all the parts in them it's the way to go. If not the little pieces will nickel and dime you to death. very little from the manual doors crosses over. Other than that, as Tow truck mentioned, the crossover harness from door to door is the easiest plug and play solution. Plugs right into a pigtail in your main harness even if your truck came w/ out power. Worst case you can fashion a power supply and ground for it from a switched hot wire. Maybe wise to add a fuse and relay in the mix.
      I would keep an eye on the local pick and pull for a GW.

Fleet Fox

Comment

Working...
      X