1500 mi. on lifters, now a tick...*new info* HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TLF
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2005

1500 mi. on lifters, now a tick...*new info* HELP!

About 6 months ago I replaced the lifters in my '88 Wag 360 w/92k mi. after narrowing them down as the culpret for my lack of valve train oiling. It's been running like a champ ever since and has great hot and cold oil pressure. A few days ago a faint tick developed that would come and go. By today the tick had developed into a pretty loud one that is there all the time. Sure sounds like a lifter. Sounds like it's coming from the left side.

I'm looking for any thoughts on what I'm dealing with and any suggestions for tracking down the culpret without excessive disassembly. Thoughts?
    Last edited by TLF; 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM. Reason: new info
    Todd

88 G-Wag
    360/tc727/np229

Also:
    1985 Jeep CJ-7
    1972 Buick Electra Limited
  • red mistress
    304 AMC
    • Sep 13, 2007

Lifters

when you adjusted did you go extra 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 turn?

were hydraulic lifters pumped up? Meaning engine was pre-lubed with screwdriver spinning in the dizzy hole?

easy to pop valve cover off and crank engine to listen which ones are loose.

If you don't want oil all over the place, follow manual sequence for adjusting all.
    67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
    69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
    80 Honcho Sportside
    82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
    82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
    83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
    84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
    84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
    87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• TLF
      232 I6
      • Oct 01, 2005

Originally posted by red mistress
      when you adjusted did you go extra 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 turn?

were hydraulic lifters pumped up? Meaning engine was pre-lubed with screwdriver spinning in the dizzy hole?

easy to pop valve cover off and crank engine to listen which ones are loose.

If you don't want oil all over the place, follow manual sequence for adjusting all.
      I'm not sure I understand what you're asking me about the extra 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 turn adjustment.

I did remove the left valve cover and there sure isn't anything loose in there. I ran it with the cover off and sort of think I narrowed it down to cyl. #1, not sure which valve. I think maybe I'll have a peek at the right side before I do anything else.
      Todd

88 G-Wag
      360/tc727/np229

Also:
      1985 Jeep CJ-7

Comment

• AMX factor
        360 AMC
        • Apr 06, 2003

The tick could be several things besides a lifter. Slightly bent pushrod, spring bad, rocker arm cracked or bent, crack in exhaust manifold ticks like a lifter also. I just don't see the lifter going bad so quickly.
        "I'm sick of this sickness, don't touch me you'll get this."
        1984 GWag "orphan" for sale
        2 x 1975 Matador "murder machines"
        1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Comment

There is no rocker adjustment on an AMC motor, you torque the rockers to 19 FT LBS and that is it.
          I have never had good luck replacing just the lifters on a high mileage motor, it usually turned out to be a bandaid fix at best.
          There are several things I would be looking at now at this point
          #1 is what kind of oil pressure do you have.
          #2 check for bent pushrods
          #3 The suspect lifter: measure the rocker travel with a dial indicator, and compare it with a rocker where the lifter is not making any noise. This will tell you if you have worn down the lifter and/or the cam lobe.
          #4 check that relaxed valve heights are the same
          Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
          Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Kris
            350 Buick
            • Jul 05, 2000

Exhaust leak.

Dont assume the worst. Check your manifolds.

k.
            89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
            Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
            -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

• TLF
              232 I6
              • Oct 01, 2005

Get this s**t. Got done tinkering with it for the evening and was moving it from shop to garage (daily driver at the moment). While in the driveway I was trying to study the noise a little better, revving it a little and what have you. Thought I'd power brake it a little to see if the noise changed any, perhaps pointing me more toward an exhaust leak, then what? Driveshaft breaks. Not a pleasant noise, but at least I was in the driveway and not on the highway. Further inspection revealed that someone had done some sort of "fixing" on it in the past. It looked like a round window had been cut out of it and then welded back in. Sweet.
              Todd

88 G-Wag
              360/tc727/np229

Also:
              1985 Jeep CJ-7

Comment

• Mahamotorworks
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 11, 2007

Originally posted by TLF
                Driveshaft breaks. Not a pleasant noise, but at least I was in the driveway and not on the highway.
                True.

Now you have more time to fond out what is going on.

MAHA
                1989 Grand Wagoneer Engein Reaplacement: In Planing Stages.

Comment

• red mistress
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 13, 2007

roller rockers

I thought the engine was built with roller rockers. oops..... Glad the shaft fell out on drive. When I was 17 was rolling along fast in my 73 Bronco and rear shaft let go (thankfully) at diff. Bent exhaust and floor.
                  67 Gladiator 15K J3000 AMC 327, PTO, 35" BFG's
                  69 Jeepster 8701 convertible
                  80 Honcho Sportside
                  82 CJ-8 75K org SR decals
                  82 Cheroeke Laredo 24K
                  83 CJ-8 50K 401, ARB60's, F&R Winch, 38"
                  84 CJ-7 38K Garnet Int., Jeep 8274 winch
                  84 CJ-8 mud Scrambler
                  87 J 20 36K smooth alum camper & boat rack.

Comment

• TLF
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 01, 2005

OK, driveshaft issue is handled but I'm still exploring my tick which has gotten worse yet. Here's the condensed version of what I know: It's cyl #1, most likely exhaust valve. As of today it has new rockers, pivots, and a bridge (and of course the new lifters a few months ago). Relaxed valve spring height is the same for both valves and as the cyl. next door. Intake/exhaust pushrods are the same length, but when seated on the lifters, the intake pushrod sticks out of the head about 1/16th further than the exhaust pushrod. Here's the part I don't like. When installing the rockers, exhaust lifter preload is essentially zero. This makes me think that either my new lifter already has excessive wear on the bottom, or that cam lobe is badly worn, or both.

Anybody got any input/suggestions? Please!?! Tell me I've overlooked something simple.
                    Todd

88 G-Wag
                    360/tc727/np229

Also:
                    1985 Jeep CJ-7

Comment

• byson1
                      258 I6
                      • May 18, 2005

Get a cheap dial indicator and measure the lift on the rockers as you turn the motor over by hand. This will tell you if a cam lobe is going/gone flat. Another way I have checked unknown rocker/lifter noises is to simply start the motor up with he valve cover off and visually look at the movement. Depending on you oil pressure this can be a little messy. My best educated guess based on what you've said is a lobe going flat. It's become a little more common now days since the most "new" oil formulas don't contain some of the crucial additives needed for flat tappet lifters.

Comment

• gojeepin
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 15, 2007

i fear the worst for you,i had a crane cam rep tell me years ago that installing new lifters on an old cam will cause the cam to go flat,on the other hand i have seen a few people do it without trouble

Comment

• hutchman
                          230 Tornado
                          • Oct 24, 2007

From what you describe, it certainly sounds like a flat cam. I thinks this is fairly common when replacing lifters. I had a new Trans Am have a cam go flat back in 1979. The dealership replaced the cam and lifter/lifters unde warranty and I took the car home. Less than thirty miles later the engine had seized and had spun 3 rod bearings and a main bearing.

Lesson learned: When a cam goes flat, you shouldn't just replace the cam and lifters. The metal from the cam has to go somewhere and Murphy says it will go to the place that will do the most damage. You will need to completely overhaul the engine.......ouch!

Comment

• TLF
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 01, 2005

Yeah, I've got a bad feeling about the cam. The thing that kind of confuses me though is that it runs great and has tons of power for a stock motor. Seems like if the cam is going I should notice some other ill effects... We'll see. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
                            Todd

88 G-Wag
                            360/tc727/np229

Also:
                            1985 Jeep CJ-7

Comment

• hutchman
                              230 Tornado
                              • Oct 24, 2007

The Trans Am that I had with the flat cam started back firing through the carburator under load. It was obvious something was wrong.

byson1 makes a good point on oils.......the newest API rated oils may not provide adequate lubrication for older flat tappet cam designs. There are many articles on the internet concerning this issue. We could get into an oil discussion, but that would be a whole different topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X