• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The PIG Smith
    King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Another A/C Question: York or Sanden

After reading a few A/C postings here recently, I have a question of my own.
    While I do not know, I am fairly certain that my York A/C compressor on my J10 project is bad.
    It has been open to the elements (no hoses connected) for a while.

My simple question to the group, which is the better compressor pump? York or Sanden?
    The reason for my question is that "if" my York is bad and I need to replace it, then I would want to go back with a York or a Sanden?

It's my understanding that the compressor mount is the same.
    The only difference are the adapters on the end of the hoses to the compressor pump.

It makes sense to go back with what my rig came equipped with.
    However, if I am spending $$$ and the Sanden is the better compressor, then why would stick with the York?
    Also, the adapters maybe a non issue, as the hoses look like as if they should be replaced.
    If this is the cause, then I would have new hoses built with the correct connectors from the Sanden compressor.

Now, I fully understand that only way I will know what is good and what is bad is by taking to a competent automotive A/C Shop.

By asking this question now and gathering information, I will be prepared when the A/C Shop says,
    "Mr. Smith, in addition to all tat is wrong with the A/C System on this truck, your compressor needs to be replaced."
    I would like to be ready and reply, "Here, install this good working compressor."
    Bryan Smith
    2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
    1986 Jeep J20
    - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Has become a Long Term Project.
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
    1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
    - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
    ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
    Originally posted by Lindel
    Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
  • The Colonel
    360 AMC
    • Feb 21, 2010

I'm partial to the Sanden compressor.

It's more efficient, takes less HP to run and is R134A friendly.

However, if there is going to be a huge cost difference I wouldn't bother.

Comment

• addicted
      Big Meanie
      • Dec 11, 2004

If it came with a York keep the York as the mounting brackets are different and the Sanden was a 3 year compressor '89-'91 maybe '88, so the brackets are much harder to find.
      Originally posted by Ristow
      i bet it was Simon....
      he's such big meanie that way...
      please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

There are aftermarket brackets available that allow you to bolt the Sanden to the York engine mount. It is a very simple plate with 4 tabs.

The Sanden is a much quieter and more efficient unit.
        David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
        83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
        10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Daddio
          258 I6
          • Dec 13, 2008

My vote would be for the York. They are tough, self oiling, and larger displacement (higher btu's). When was the last time you heard someone say my ac system was too good and I want to down size?

One the down side, it probably take more power to turn which would result in more fuel consumption. It also may not be as compatible with 134a.
          '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

Comment

• serehill
            Gone,Never Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2009

Really??

I'm partial to my sanden. It did not bolt right in if you have a york you will have to either find a later model compressor mount of get an adaptor the two are not the same. I like the rotatry screw compressor (Sanden) design for several reasons. I don't think that the sanden is built as tough as the york. The reciprical action of the york though takes more HP to run & makes more wear & tear on the compressor & motor. It took me HP to operate the York. I can't even tell when my sanden is running. The York manifolds bolted right on my Sanden. I got 90 degree 134 connectors that went right where the old shreader valves were. & I'm good. I ran 134 both ways & it does seem to work better on the Sanden but is not a day & night difference. Know that the york is a dinosaur & will only get more expensive I decided to change. Your call But that was my decision.

It was just time to move on from a power eating inefficeint compressor. There's a reason why they are not made anymore or come on anynew vehicle.

Hey they make OK air compressors even then only a subsitute.

Update after being notified I found I was misinformed & these Sandens are not Rotary style but piston style I want to ensure info is accurrate. Whoops.
            Last edited by serehill; 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM.

80 Cherokee
            360 ci 727 with
            Comp cams 270 h
            NP208
            Edlebrock performer intake
            Holley 4180
            Msd total multi spark.
            4" rusty's springs
            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• mrtazwrench
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 10, 2001

I found a sanden at yard the other day, guess I should go grab it, I got a ton of yorks though so that's what I used on the install on the one I just did.
              Chad
              "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
              https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
              88Wag
              87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
              83Cherokee WT
              82J20
              Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• jeeper54
                350 Buick
                • May 25, 2009

When I was trying to repair the a/c on my 86 waggy I found a Sanden kit ( compressor, mount adapter and hose adapters) on ebay. Don't recall the price but it was something cheap enough for me to consider.
                Currently without
                Formerly
                1986 G.W. 360
                1986 Eagle Wag
                1985 G.W. 360
                1984 Eagle Wag
                1981 Wag 360
                1978 Wag 401
                1981 Cherk W/T 258
                1966 Wag Super 327
                Not counying XJs'.
                [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

• sld
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 04, 2006

I have looked for a York rebuild kit, however I just find links to make an air compressor.
                  1981 WT Cherokee Chief /360/TF727/208/ Holley 600CFM/ Performer Intake/ Edelbrock headers/ Skip White HEI, switched dizzy gear. Patriot Side Pipes.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

the sanden is a better,and more efficient. my '83 will be getting changed over to a sanden very soon.

the sanden has 7 small pistons inside,as shown here.

Last edited by Ristow; 07-25-2011, 04:38 AM.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

The York setup had a lot of great features, but it is very inefficient. The Sanden can move the same (and in some cases more) amount of freon with less pulsing and less parasitic HP loss. Plus it takes up about 2/3 the space.
                      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• addicted
                        Big Meanie
                        • Dec 11, 2004

Well since it's so easy and I didn't realize how easy it was. Go with the Sanden they are better compressors. But the factory set up is still fairly hard to come by.
                        Originally posted by Ristow
                        i bet it was Simon....
                        he's such big meanie that way...
                        please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• badaboom
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jun 05, 2001

freon Capacities

Can someone chime in on refrigerant capacities?
                          Or any other specific specificaitons -
                          AMC/Jeep factory charge capacities

York R12 = ? LBs.
                          Sanden R134a = ? LBs.

And has anybody heard of ES12 or some such animal supposed replacement or can be used in replace of R134a
                          1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• derf
                            360 AMC
                            • Jul 12, 2001

On my truck, I'm planning my AC upgrade as soon as I do my camshaft swap this fall. The condenser is already coming out. I plan on using a sanden with an adapter bracket. Either I'll make a bracket or just buy one like this: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo..._69000017.html

I'm going to need new hoses anyway. They're going to have to be custom made. I may as well just get ones that attach to a Sanden.
                            Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

Comment

• badaboom
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jun 05, 2001

A/C hoses

If you are using gen2 interior duct work / components with the newer gen3 Sanden Compressor will you need hoses with SAE fittings to the duct / interior components to hook up and metric to the compressor?
                              Compressor hoses -

gen2 york all SAE
                              gen3 Sanden Metric
                              Hybrid gen2/3 sae and metric

Experiences?
                              Last edited by badaboom; 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM.
                              1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

Working...
                              X