• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HotrodSmurf
    232 I6
    • Feb 16, 2011

FAST ez efi.

anyone had experience with it? seems like a sweet setup for someone like me thats easily confused by the techno-babble.

Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    1986 G.Waggy
    torn down waiting for timing cover
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

There s another out there that has been tested by JP mag'. Its basically an EFI and everything is container in the throttle body. Its like mounting a carb with auto tune. Plus, its only $1500.

Comment

• 1jeep
      232 I6
      • Jan 20, 2011

Do you mean this

A guy on the C10 forum I was on had a video of his truck on the dyno. This set up on his bigblock pumped over 500hp to the wheels. He said it worked great and was cheap and easy. I'm thinking about it.
      1990 Grand Wagoneer
      3in RC and 32in BFG's

Comment

• chrism
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 07, 2002

A guy in my club is running the one above on his 454 powered cj based rock crawler. He just finished it and its in a car show this weekend. I'll ask him about it.
        1979 Cherokee
        1979 CJ-7

Comment

• FSJ Guy
          • Mar 20, 2005

It's a cleaner install and eliminates a lot of spaghetti wiring all over the engine compartment. Other than that, IMHO, there's noting overly special or unique about it. For similar money, you can get a Howell system which uses standard GM parts so in the rare event of a failure, you can get replacements at Joe's Auto Repair Shack and easily install them in 15 minutes.

It would look great on a hot rod, I think. For our FSJ's, it's extra bling that isn't really necessary.
          Ethan Brady
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• bigun
            • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
            It's a cleaner install and eliminates a lot of spaghetti wiring all over the engine compartment. Other than that, IMHO, there's noting overly special or unique about it. For similar money, you can get a Howell system which uses standard GM parts so in the rare event of a failure, you can get replacements at Joe's Auto Repair Shack and easily install them in 15 minutes.

It would look great on a hot rod, I think. For our FSJ's, it's extra bling that isn't really necessary.
            I have started reading your install thread several times and get lost through all the different things you tried. I am thinking about fuel injecting the 440 that is going in my DD if I do i would want to be able to plug and play with out having to spend several days, weeks, or months trying to get the right map for my engine.
            charlie
            KB0HXA
            "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
            congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
            How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
            Robert A. Heinlein
            The birth of CROM is recorded here
            http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• billyj7175
              304 AMC
              • Sep 10, 2001

Well, there is the wideband vs. narrowband argument...

The FAST kit is nifty, clean and probably easier to install. The thing that would concern me (aside from the price), is the longevity/reliability. That is a system that hasn't had the miles/years put on it yet.

On a weekend play-vehicle, that runs a radical cam/intake/heads/headers, then yes, the FAST makes sense.

The GM-based TBI (AFI, Howell, DIY) is well proven, cheap and can also be setup to control your timing as well.
              83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
              360/727/229
              4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• KensAMC
                232 I6
                • Jun 17, 2008

Looking at Howell myself and noticed Affordable seems to use similar components, but has few separate kits and cost less than Howell ....

Anyone actually use the Affordable system?
                I have heard good things about Howell .
                Next price up is FAST or Holley , and Holleys "cheap rig" says 275 hp limit

Incremental steps too
                Aff : $950
                Howell $1300
                FAST $1569

Comment

• bigun
                  • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by billyj7175
                  The FAST kit is nifty, clean and probably easier to install. The thing that would concern me (aside from the price), is the longevity/reliability. That is a system that hasn't had the miles/years put on it yet.
                  In another thread I made the same point I do like the plug and play aspect.
                  charlie
                  KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                  Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                    All Makes Combined
                    • Jun 30, 2003

The system hotrodsmurf posted is VERY cool! I don't have many negative things to say about it, except that the price seems astronomical to me. It may be worth it to you, however.

As for that very strange Powerjection 1Jeep posted....well, I've had some choice words for it in a previous post.

Originally posted by billyj7175
                    Indeed! *As for the PowerJection*, I believe I commented before about having the ENTIRE brains of the whole system sitting on top of a hot engine, right under the hood where hot air collects. Even automotive-rated components would probably not last too long under those conditions. No bueno.
                    Last edited by PlasticBoob; 03-17-2015, 04:07 PM.
                    Rob
                    1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                    Click for video

Comment

• Eugene 1
                      304 AMC
                      • Feb 04, 2006

The Ez efi would be the best IMO because of the choices for cam swaps, manifold changes, ci, etc. etc i posted a link with a couple of videos somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW6ZO...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIzLh...eature=related
                      Last edited by Eugene 1; 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM.
                      JEEP
                      2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• bigun
                        • Feb 10, 2003

Well rather than speculate I have contacted the manufacture and will let you know what their answers are I will bring up the heat problem also. I have an idea that you'll get some cooling effect from the vaporization of the fuel
                        charlie
                        KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• HotrodSmurf
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 16, 2011

the fast ecu can be mounted where you chose, not sure how long the harness is though. that powerjection stuff looks cheesy and its not worth the lack of a few wires to have 'puter fry from sitting on the engine. the only the thing harder than choosin an efi is going to be convincing my girl

*****Gah! I meant the PowerJection, not the FAST/EZ system you posted. Typo!

*****And now I've accidentally hit the "Edit" button instead of "Quote"! Sorry about that, today's just not my day! I'll step away from the keyboard now! ~~PlasticBoob
                          Last edited by PlasticBoob; 03-05-2011, 01:51 PM.
                          1986 G.Waggy

Comment

• HotrodSmurf
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 16, 2011

kinda like me double posting my reply.
                            1986 G.Waggy

Comment

• hotjimmy
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 21, 2009

I recently put the fast ez-efi on my rock buggy and absolutely love it! The most complicated part is the fuel system, but is still pretty easy. My buggy has an AMC 401 w/ summit 8601 cam, 9.5 cast pistons, shaved 321 heads, 1.6 roller rockers.

It used to run on propane, so of course I'm seeing a big improvement. The system is very easily set up and fired on the first crank. It took a few trips for the computer to "learn". During that time, I had a few hesitations and kills when I'd stab the throttle from idle.

Howell pretty much hates any cam swaps if you talk to them. They said it's the increased durations that mess with their computers. They told me I'd probably have to send my comp back several times to get a decent tune.

I'm saving my pennies for more EZ-EFI's for my street jeeps now! $1500-1600 a kit and summit will match online prices

SONORA POSSE
                              Buggy- EZ-EFI 401, 727, D300, 60's, 1.75" DOM chassis, 42" Sticky Iroks
                              Thanks! Interco Tire, Sierra Gear & Axle, Powertank, Raceline Wheels, HereticFab, & Reid Racing

'82 CJ-7- AMC 401 Edyl Heads, Forged pistons, NP435, D20, Waggy D44's, Spool/Detroit, 4.56's, 36" Irok's

'77 Chero- 360, T18, D20, D44, SF14B, 35" BFG AT's

Comment

Working...
                              X