• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheJeeper
    258 I6
    • Mar 31, 2009

Jeep swap meet idea. Input needed.

Hello my fellow Jeep bretheren. I have had nemerous conversations with at least 30 plus Jeep enthusiasts about the topic of a swap meet--more clearly, a lack therof. So I aim to change that. I want to organize a Jeep swap meet open to anyone with spare parts to sell, whole Jeeps, or just looking for parts for their rig. I'm going to have it open to anything with the Jeep nameplate, '41-2012. I want to have a big fullsize showing, which is where you guys come in.

It's going to be held more than likely, at a flea market in Sparta Tennessee. It has approx. 350 10x10 booths, both indoor and out, plus a massive amount of parking lot and grassy field which i could likely procure for people to setup. I want this to be a weekend event, meaning Saturday and Sunday. However vendors are welcome to come Friday and set up their booths. The rebtal is as of the last time i checked (don't quote me on it) $15 per day, indoor, $25 per weekend. Outdoor is $15 per weekend. Additionally, they serve food there from a small indoor cafe, and they have an on-site ATM.

I am going to advertise on any Jeep-oriented forum I can find. I want this to be a large event. I would be looking for anyone willing to volunteer to help with the arrangements of all this, and with advertising, etc.

If anyone is interested, or even knows someone who may be interested, reply to this thread. Also if you have a general idea as to how many parts you will have to sell, let me know. I.E: trailor-load, pickup-load, or 2 or 3 spare trinkets. Give me your input regarding when you think the best time would be to hold this event.

I want this thing to go big, so tell your friends, and feel free to advertise this once we set a date and work out the details. Reply or private message with any questions or concerns.

Eli
    Last edited by TheJeeper; 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM.
    '65 J200: 230ci., T90A-1, built with T90J input shaft, Spicer 18, 2.47:1, D44s: 4.27s. 31x11.50x15 vintage Star M/Ts

Regarding a manual valve-bodied auto... "To me that's like trying to play a fiddle with a sawzall."

Nothing in written by me in ANY post can be used without my written consent.

~Eli's Jeep Supply~
  • mdcptman
    Jeep Therapist
    • Apr 09, 2010

I would love to come! It would be worth th drive from new Orleans
    Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
    88 Grand Wagoneer
    360/727/NP208/dana 3.31s
    Edelbrock 2131
    Holley 600
    Hydroboost
    Hedman headers
    Dual exhaust
    MSD6A, TFI
    Digital Gauges
    Rusty's 2" Lift
    31x10.5 15LT15s
    Quote From Friend's Mom:
    "You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

Comment

• JAWs7227
      232 I6
      • Jul 02, 2009

I would come, don't really have any parts to sell though.
      Jess

1976 J10, 360 2v, TH400, Q/T, 131"
      1979 CJ-5, 258 2v, 3-spd - Sold
      1992 XJ Laredo 2-Dr, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
      1992 YJ Islander, 4.0L, Auto - Sold
      1998 TJ Sahara, 4.0L, Auto - DD

Comment

• Chuck Brown
        327 Rambler
        • Feb 17, 2008

I've got no shortage of parts, but the fuel costs associated with making the trek in a 401 powered brick would still set me back!

Chuck Brown
        Life may be hard, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.
        Works in progress:
        1977 Cherokee Chief; 401/Auto/6" BJ's Lift/Cliffhanger/Stripped out Interior
        1964 J200; 360, .030 over, Edelbrock Intake and Carb, 6" lift

Comment

• Long&Low
          350 Buick
          • Jan 03, 2008

Ok, I'll bite, I got an assortment of FSJ and non-FSJ stuff laying around.
          Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
          '18 Jeep Renegade
          '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

• Bill Moore
            304 AMC
            • May 22, 2006

excellent idea and sorely needed
            DDs
            67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
            78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Wackyneer
              232 I6
              • Oct 08, 2011

It sounds like a great idea. My concern is how to go about promoting it, and how many buyers and sellers will show up for the first event. If the first one is a success, word will travel and the next one will be twice as big. On the other hand, if the first one is not successful- there won't be a second.
              '88 GW 360 V8, Almost stock (locking hubs and electric fuel pump)
              Was it an omen that my '88 GW broke down 2 miles after the purchase and the tow truck broke down bringing it to my house?

Comment

• TheJeeper
                258 I6
                • Mar 31, 2009

Good deal gentlemen. I'm glad to see some interest.

As far as promotion, as I said, i'm going to hit all the Jeep related forums. Also, craigslist in all the surrounding areas. I attended a swap meet at a lical 4 Wheel Parts. They decided on it mid-week, posted one Craigslist ad, and about 40 people showed up all day. If that small bit of last minute advertising will get 40, I think I can get a couple hundred anyway.
                '65 J200: 230ci., T90A-1, built with T90J input shaft, Spicer 18, 2.47:1, D44s: 4.27s. 31x11.50x15 vintage Star M/Ts

Regarding a manual valve-bodied auto... "To me that's like trying to play a fiddle with a sawzall."

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

• TheJeeper
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 31, 2009

Originally posted by Chuck Brown
                  I've got no shortage of parts, but the fuel costs associated with making the trek in a 401 powered brick would still set me back!

Chuck Brown
                  Chuck, I surely understand. Fuel is ridiculous.

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

• aallison
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jun 08, 2007

What time of year? Maybe one of the local 4x4 clubs could put together a trail run etiher before or after the event...kinda a two for one deal.

If I could, I'd love to come. Really depends on the date.

And sounds like a great deal!

Comment

• TheJeeper
                      258 I6
                      • Mar 31, 2009

I'm thinking this May. I will be contacting the owner of said fleamarket this weekend to make arrangements. Once a date is set, I'll be promoting this out the yin-yang. I'll additionally be in contact with a few clubs in the area to organize a run that same weekend, to drum up response. It's especially convenient that a large Off-Road park is within 10 miles of the location.

More input is needed!

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Any info on camping, showers,toilets etc. Info on grocery stores, motels would be good too.
                        joe
                        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• OutrageGIS
                          258 I6
                          • Feb 26, 2011

Swap Meet

Sounds good. Maybe not a booth but will plan to attend-
                          79 Cherokee, 360, QT, Stocky

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                          X