Done with distributor, time for coil packs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Probesport
    232 I6
    • Apr 15, 2015

Done with distributor, time for coil packs.

My Waggy has been fuel injected (Megasquirt) for some time now and I've been happy with everything save for timing/spark control but I always knew I would go distributorless at some point - and that time has come. I *may* have also needed to do some cleaning/painting while in was in there.

As always a big thanks to my partner in crime Ryan for working through this madness with me

With a DIS setup, we need coil packs, wires, a crank pickup, and some sort of toothed wheel to read crank position. With the AMC engine, we also need a way to drive the oil pump once we pull the distributor.

The starting point

First up, pull and gut the distributor.

Cut down the shaft and housing, inserted a bushing at the new top then welded on a collar to the top of the shaft. The collar allows you to be able to turn the gear by hand for alignment to drop in.

Used 3D Printer and TPU to make a cover for the new distributor stub

We messed with a few options for a trigger wheels, but ultimately decided to make our own via drilling shallow holes in the damper in a 12-1 pattern for the pickup. Back to the 3D printer for a drill template since this has to be precise and maintain balance.

Next up is the crank pickup, used a Ford 2.5l 4cyl crank pickup, mounted to the fuel pump block-off plate.

And a mount for the coils

Wiring harness for the coils

And where it stands this morning.

Next steps are a bunch of wiring, testing, Megasquirt changes, and probably more - probably going Contour fans and using MS to control that as well.

Ken S.
    Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    Megasquirt EFI
    : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
    Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Probesport
      232 I6
      • Apr 15, 2015

Thanks!

Installing contour fans tonight and doing a bit more wiring, not much more visual progress as I am pulling out the old disty wiring and re-wrapping everything since we now have a couple more relays for the fans, crank pickup, and coils to blend in.
      Ken S.
      Megasquirt EFI
      : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
      Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• Probesport
        232 I6
        • Apr 15, 2015

Fan/Radiator side quest completed - http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=1696090

Will get back on the coils and wiring tonight...
        Ken S.
        Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• yossarian19
          258 I6
          • Nov 13, 2016

So, how much for a distributor bushing / cap kit mailed to 95959? With "401" on the top instead of "710" ?

Very slick work.
          Genius use of the 3d printer to get a drill template on the balancer, too.

Comment

• Probesport
            232 I6
            • Apr 15, 2015

The bushing is just from the top of the distributor stalk that was cut off. Half went in the new housing and half got welded to the top above a brass washer.

The printed TPU cap is really designed specifically for where the shaft was cut, the 710 lettering is part of the original CAD before it was converted to a printable object. Maybe once I've got some free time I can modify it and print off another.

Wiring and installation is all finalized and we are in the process of tuning now, we ended up drilling the damper out to a 36-1 for more resolution. Pics to come shortly but we did get it started and running last night!
            Last edited by Probesport; 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM.
            Ken S.
            Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
              232 I6
              • Apr 15, 2015

Pictures

Adding the ignitor modules for coilpack control to the Megasquirt

New 3D printed drill template to go up to 36-1

and the resulting notches

Ken S.
              Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                232 I6
                • Apr 15, 2015

Short video (~7sec) of first fire with the 36-1 and coilpacks.

Very short video of 1988 grand wagoneer first fire after conversion to coil packs via Megasquirt.
                Ken S.
                Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 15, 2015

Done. Starting and walkaround. Either the injectors are quite loud or my mic is real sensitive.

Ken S.
                  Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• JohnnyJ
                    258 I6
                    • Jan 21, 2001

That's a cool use of the 3D printer. Very interesting work.
                    Past Project: Stock Class TREC Racer Build Thread
                    Current project: bringing back my 75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Probesport
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 15, 2015

Drove it last night and today, it's absolutely never been this smooth on all fronts. Finally feels like a 'regular' car instead of a project vehicle. There is some cold tune work to be done, but other than that this was a fantastic success.

Ken S.
                      Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Are you running a GM TBI unit?
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Probesport
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 15, 2015

Yes, it's a GM TBI with reman flowmatched injectors. You can see it more in this pic.

Ken S.
                          Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• Probesport
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 15, 2015

If anybody wants them, here are the files to 3D print the items from this project.

Distributor stub cap
                            This thing was made with Tinkercad. Edit it online https://www.tinkercad.com/things/17jj9dvT9LU This will probably not work for anybody else. This is a distributor/oil pump driveshaft dust cover, meant to be printed in TPU, for a modified (chopped in half) aftermarket HEI distributor on an AMC 360 V8 engine. The engine was converted to wasted spark ignition system, the distributor was no longer needed, but an oil pump drive shaft was. This prompted us to dismantle the aftermarket HEI distributor, cut the body, drill and press in a new bronze shaft bushing into the shortened distributor body, cut down the distributor shaft and weld a cap onto it then reinstall it into the distributor body with the cam gear. This cap was designed to cover the shaft stub at the top and is a very tight fit to prevent dust and fingers from coming near the rotating shaft. The "710" lettering is part of an old joke.

36-1 Damper trigger template
                            This thing was made with Tinkercad. Edit it online https://www.tinkercad.com/things/6lCV4Fa4oa6 This is a template for drilling an AMC V8 crankshaft damper for use as a crankshaft position sensor reluctor ring. This was used for converting an AMC 360 to wasted spark ignition after it was first converted to throttle body fuel injection using a megasquirt II engine control, although the reluctor may also be used on other engine management systems as it is designed to mimic a common '36-1' trigger wheel pattern. In this application, a sensor is mounted below the fuel pump mounting boss which is no longer used, the 'missing tooth' is achieved by bridging two of the 36 drilled holes with a dremel (or other tool of choice). This template is actually modeled with the wasted spark triggers 'A, B, C and D' indexed for position based on the notch in the damper, there is also a raised bump indicating the location of the sensor with the damper at top dead center or 'TDC'. If a different sensor location is selected you will need to 'bridge' a different set of holes such that the first 'non-holed' segment or 'tooth' is at the required trigger angle. In this case all 'triggers' are 40 degrees before piston top dead center. This template is a snug fit onto the damper, was printed in PLA with a 0.2 resolution.

The Tinkercad files are available too if you want to modify the design.
                            Ken S.
                            Megasquirt EFI

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

What's the 710 on the dizzy stub represent?

Do you have a build thread on your EFI? I am about to install mine and I am wondering how hard it would be to swap to a Megasquirt computer vice the GM computer I have now... I love what you have done here and am intrigued on how I could copy you.
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X