• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poolmike
    232 I6
    • Mar 03, 2005

6.2 diesel in M715 **LOTS O' LARGE PICS**

I don't post much on this site, I'm more of a 'lurking' type. I figure its time to post the M715 project. I've been running a 406 Chevy with TH350 trans for a few years. I decided to build a 6.2 Turbo diesel and SM465 trans.

Before disassembly

Test Fitting

Motor plates made by Tom Lawlor aka 'Spicergear' from the M715 zone.

Fan/water pump clearance

Hydroboost

A few minor adjustments and I should be in good shape.

Now its time to make the rest of the truck look better.
    Last edited by poolmike; 03-22-2008, 07:30 AM.
    '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

Nice work!
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

I LOVE the army look. That is so totally cool. Nice work on the motor. You gave me some ideas for mounting my 455. Now, where did you get that awesome fan?

Edit: boy, when you post, you don't play around.

[ February 16, 2006, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Valdez Explorer ]
      Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
      Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
        304 AMC
        • Feb 02, 2006

excellente.... any time running it with the turbo 6.2 yet?

i have a banks turbo'd 6.2 in a sub that i got at a police auction... pretty consistent 19mpg and decent power,

wondered how you felt about it after driving it for a while..

peace, Dave
        There is no way to rule innocent men.
        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• poolmike
          232 I6
          • Mar 03, 2005

The engine is no where near running yet. I originally was going to run the 6.5 turbo set up but the turbo manifold does not fit the 6.2 heads due to injector clearance issues. Custom headers will be made. I'm going to run a Holset turbo off a Cummins.

The pictures are just for mock up purposes. Once that is complete, th whole truck is going to the media blaster.....I'll probably get the remains of it in an urn
          '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• poolmike
            232 I6
            • Mar 03, 2005

Originally posted by Valdez Explorer:
            I LOVE the army look. That is so totally cool. Nice work on the motor. You gave me some ideas for mounting my 455. Now, where did you get that awesome fan?

Can you send me a pic of the Buick mounts?? I mighthave a idear or two.

Comment

• BRUTUS
              360 AMC
              • Dec 06, 2005

In my best Homer Simpson voice "mmmmmm M715"
              "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
              Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
              Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

Originally posted by poolmike:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Valdez Explorer:

Can you send me a pic of the Buick mounts?? I mighthave a idear or two.</font>[/QUOTE]I think I can post a link. Its Olds though.
                Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• 83 BEAST
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 15, 2005

that is just beautiful. can't wait to see pics of it in the dirt (running). good job.
                  The Beast: 1983 jeep j-10, 258ci, t-5 trans, np-208 t-case, d44(f) amc20(r), stock gears, 32" tires, (just passed emissions as of 12-16-11 )

Comment

• jeepzilla47
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 14, 2003

good work
                    Mike Hildreth...aka Tubby
                    "From nothing we have risen, and from nothing, we still rise!!" (Hatebreed)

84 GW in progress
                    fuel injected 454/th400/203/205/hpd60/ff14b 4.88/welded/4wdb/dbl/39.5 iroks/gm springs/rb shackle flip/ hydraulic assist

Comment

• poolmike
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 03, 2005

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I haven't been on the forum in a while, and haven't touched the truck for the past year or so.

The truck hasn't changed much in the last two years, but the direction has changed. I took a very much needed welding class. Scrapped the 6.2 diesel for a 4BT. The 4BT sort of fell into my possession in January, so I fabbed up the motor mounts, trans and t.case crossmembers, removed and rewelded the spring perches on the 14 bolt/ Dana 60 axles(since my first attempt was more boogers than weld).

2 years ago the chassis was media blasted, then I brought it home, prepped it with phosphuric acid, and painted it with POR15, then primed it, then 'drabbed it. For some reason the frame pitted/rusted under the paint, so it was back to the blaster last month before final assembly.

Here she is. Sorry for the large pics.

4BT test fit in the pitted frame.

With the 'drab applied

It feels good to be working on it again. I really miss driving this truck.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                        King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

WOW!
                        Very Nice!

Question: In the earlier pics, what is all the sheet metal dings and wrinkles in the firewall?

I love the grenade shifter knob!
                        Bryan Smith
                        2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                        1986 Jeep J20
                        - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                        1982 Jeep J10
                        - Has become a Long Term Project.
                        1981 Jeep J20
                        - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                        1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                        - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                        ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                        Originally posted by Lindel
                        Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• poolmike
                          232 I6
                          • Mar 03, 2005

The previous owner did some clearance work with a hammer. I fixed it with Herculiner and insulation

Comment

• Ghinmi
                            Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

AWESOME!!! That 4bt looks right at home in there. Almost looks small in that engine bay lol. The shifter knob is a nice touch too. Can't wait to see this thing finished!
                            Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
                            http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• billyrb
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              • Aug 15, 2001

shifter grenade rocks (I'll be borrowing that idea!)

Btw, did you have the rig dipped in paint? Looks too even to be sprayed (j/k)!!! Awesome rig
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              [email protected]
                              Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X