• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PlasticBoob
    All Makes Combined
    • Jun 30, 2003

1974 Cherokee color?

Hi everyone, does anyone know what color this is was called? I have heard something about "reorange" but I am sure AMC was more creative than that? LOL Wouldn't it be something like "BBQ Western Sunset Red" or something? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Rob
    1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
    Click for video
  • PhilSine
    304 AMC
    • May 25, 2002

Well, the colors listed in my sales brochure for 1974 Jeeps are as follows....
    Champagne White
    Copper Metalic
    Trans-Am Red
    Mellow Yellow
    Silver Green Metalic
    Jetset Blue Metalic
    Golden Tan Metalic
    Fawn Beige
    Fairway Green Metalic
    Renegade Plum Metalic*
    Renegade Yellow*
    *Available only on Jeep Renegade

There is no orange listed and the Trans-Am red is very red and couldn't fade to that orange. In the brochure is shows at least one vehicl with any one of the 11 colors on it including the Renegade's. I know in 77 Jeep had an orange. Maybe it was repainted by a PO.
    I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
      All Makes Combined
      • Jun 30, 2003

Thanks for the list of colors! I woud definitely believe that only if the entire car wasn't that color...I have looked everywhere on the car, and that is the only color...inside, outside, on the firewall, under the dash, I mean everywhere that the factory paint would be. That's really weird... could it be a special order color or something? I haven't checked my identification tag yet...
      Rob
      Click for video

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

I don't know what that color's called, but I just have to say that you have one GOOD-looking Cherokee there!!! That color-combination with the stripe and the whitewalls on those 5-slot rims is a really sweet look. Plus the fact that the last Cherokee like that in our area probably rusted out completely about fifteen years ago makes me doubly envious...
        1987 J-20
        Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• timmirvin
          350 Buick
          • Jan 29, 2003

I for one like the slot rims and where the exhaust exits.....

Great lookin' rig my friend!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          \'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...

Comment

• PlasticBoob
            All Makes Combined
            • Jun 30, 2003

Thanks guys, I knew I had to get it when I first saw it! I'm trying to find the color so that if I get it repainted, I can keep it exactly the same... although I don't know where I'm gonna find a stripe decal like that...maybe I'll just leave it alone and paint the hood. And I like the whitewalls too, but maybe I can paint whitewalls on the 32" BFGs too! hehe j/k
            Rob
            Click for video

Comment

• 18cherokee
              350 Buick
              • Jul 21, 2003

talking of painting white walls, what is the correct term for the paint that lasts on rubber?

id like to re-paint the jeep logo on my mud flaps (since no-one has offered advice where i can get some....)

is there a particular brand name for this paint that you could recommend?

and yeh - you've got a nice jeep, & you know it
              Black Cherry 1989 Grand Wagoneer
              S&J rebuilt AMC360
              IMPCO Propane

Comment

• PhilSine
                304 AMC
                • May 25, 2002

If you ever decide that you want to repaint you can take the rig to the local sign shop and have them duplicate the stripe before it's removed. A good shop can replicate anything exactly. I've taken my rig to a shop here just to price it and they can reproduce my decals for $300 all around. My rig is white with black trim and the factory put the stickers on the white, painted the black trim on, and then removed the stickers to leave the white underneath. The sign shop can help me duplicate this right down to applying the stickers prior to me having the trim painted and removing them when the paint is dry.
                I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by plasticboob:
                  could it be a special order color or something? I haven't checked my identification tag yet...
                  I like the bold orange - there were some wild colors offered but I don't remember that orange. Perhaps you can post the VIN or the builders plate numbers? A special order paint could be determined from those - anyone out there with a FSM could decode the VIN and builders plate for you.

hth Tim
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

i believe that's a 77 cherokee. the color is Tawny Orange. the reason i say this is b/c the alloy rims and chrome package didn't come out till 75 along with fancy bumper guards. though WT came in 76 they still had NTs. i could go on but who cares. anyway, the color matches my factory list of colors for that year it could also be a 78 b/c that was the last year of the 401. my .02
                    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                    Originally posted by johnny019
                    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• PhilSine
                      304 AMC
                      • May 25, 2002

Originally posted by orangecherokee:
                      i believe that's a 77 cherokee. the color is Tawny Orange. the reason i say this is b/c the alloy rims and chrome package didn't come out till 75 along with fancy bumper guards. though WT came in 76 they still had NTs. i could go on but who cares. anyway, the color matches my factory list of colors for that year it could also be a 78 b/c that was the last year of the 401. my .02
                      But, to add to the mystery.....

The Cherokee stripe down the side of the 77 Chero's was that intertwining crossing indian type design while the one he has on his rig is the one displayed in my '74 brochure. Also, there are no Chero's in my '77 brochure with a white top but there are in the '74 brochure. I'm not an expert on this as I was born in '74 and have no recollection of what was produced when. I'm only going by the 2 brochures I have which happen to be '74 and '77.

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                        All Makes Combined
                        • Jun 30, 2003

Hey everyone....I really believe it's a '74...For one, the intake manifold does NOT have the pattern for the 4350...it has the 4300...which I believe was only used on the '74s? I might be wrong as I have only owned this beast for a little over a year and a half. It's also an "S" - when did they stop that? The vin is J4A177CZ42317, also, the stupid emissions tag affixed near the radiator says all kinds of stuff about emissions applicable to "1974 model year vehicles blah blah". So how did this later color get on a '74 Cherokee? And believe me when I say it is everywhere, even under the dash and deepest darkest reaches of the flashlight!
                        Rob
                        Click for video

Comment

• PhilSine
                          304 AMC
                          • May 25, 2002

The "S" has been on every Cherokee emblem I've ever seen. I've seen em on rigs between 74 and 79 that I could identify the year on. The emblems on my Chief all have the "S" on them.

Comment

• Stuka
                            • Jan 21, 2001

The WT came out in mid 75.

'S' Models are basically a cheif package without having WT axles and flares.

There was also a cheif 'S' model

My cherokee is a plain jane no special anything (well except for being an AM General custom order, but besides that hehe)

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                              All Makes Combined
                              • Jun 30, 2003

Stuka, yeah yeah yeah! Watch out or I'm going to steal that really cool AM General warranty tag!
                              Rob
                              Click for video

Comment

Working...
                              X