• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pitcher3853
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 10, 2015

What radio do you have?

I am looking to replace the current radio that is in my 78 J10. It did not have a radio from the factory but the previous owner installed an old kenwood which is no longer made. Just curious what you guys are using. Thanks!
    1978 j10 shortbed:
    AMC 401 (.030 over),hooker headers, edelbrock performer carb, holley distributor, T-18, dana 20, 4 inch lift, 35 inch bfg's
  • Fearless
    232 I6
    • Dec 03, 2015

I put in a JVC KD-X50BT that I had left over from another project. AM, FM, WMA, MP3 player with bluetooth, AUX and 2 USB inputs, and RCA outputs for an amp if I choose. Really like the Bluetooth for handsfree calls and streaming Pandora on longer trips.

I think I paid around $100 for it a few years ago.

(sorry for the pic quality)
    Fearless
    '89 Grand Wagoneer slightly Modified
    "The only time you have too much fuel is when you are on Fire"

Comment

• acct21
      327 Rambler
      • May 20, 2014

Jensen single-DIN with fold-out touch screen, Sirius/XM, Bluetooth phone, satellite navigation.

Matches the "Accusound by Jensen" speaker grilles (OEM was a Jensen cassette deck).

1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
        232 I6
        • Dec 15, 2016

Mine still had the factory push button radio with a POS deck installed in an ammocan bolted under the dash... PO was not tasteful. The factory location is a bit smaller than modern single dins, subscribed to see what other people have done,
        1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
        Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

Radio Delete plate with under-dash 8 track player in my 63
          AM radio in my 68
          AM radio in my 70
          AM radio with under-dash FM converter in my 71
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• dtatum
            232 I6
            • Sep 30, 2014

Alpine 7502

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

AH, ah... working on this one, the 7155, installed in 1984-85

Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

Mine has the factory AM that has been converted to AM/FM/Aux

Looking at it you would never know it isn't completely original.
                '72 J4500

Comment

• lkmarsh
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 21, 2008

Who did the conversion? That looks great. Too late for my Wag,
                  already cut the dash for single DIN, but all of my other car dashes are intact...
                  Lyle

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
                  69 1414x Wagoneer 350/TH400 DD & Ski Ride
                  68 Chevelle wagon 350/BWT50
                  68 Impala wagon 327/400
                  73 Cougar droptop 351C/FMX Garage Queen
                  04 Impala LS - Wife's DD
                  73 Wagoneer parts donor

Comment

• Crankyolman
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by lkmarsh
                    Who did the conversion? That looks great. Too late for my Wag,
                    already cut the dash for single DIN, but all of my other car dashes are intact...
                    The person who did my radio was
                    Replace or repair your classic car radio with Bill the Radio Guy. We offer custom car radio replacements and repairs, as well as bluetooth, USB, FM, and conversions.

It's not very cheap I think it was around the cost of a replacement radio but worth it to me to keep my original radio and get FM. There are a couple of people doing this. Here is a list of at least some

One thing to be aware of is to be very specific about what you want done As far as converting to AM-FM he has two things he does, one is called an "add-on" the other a "Conversion" to him these mean 2 different things.

"Add-on" means he adds on an FM tuner and aux jack and can add on extra speaker connections, which I didn't have done or want.

"Conversion" means "Stereo conversion allows from 1 to 4 speaker stereo from AM/FM, iPod, MP3, CD, USB and Bluetooth input with an option for Voice Command. With power ratings at 4x45 watts, external amplifiers may be added through 5 line outputs for even more power if desired."

Not being aware of this I asked for an FM only conversion, which to me meant just add FM (Mono) but to him meant the full blown conversion with 4 speakers and all that. When he told me it was ready and the bill was $450 I had a cow because that was not what I asked for. I only have one speaker and don't plan on adding others because I'm almost deaf in one ear so stereo is wasted on me and I didn't want to add any speakers. He said he would make it right and a week or two later sent me a radio back that was Mono but I noticed the original connections were not on it. So I checked my pictures and found it had a different serial number than the one I sent him so I had another cow and fired off a very unpleasant email to him because I expected MY radio back not somebody else's. He apologized, paid return shipping and made it right. I'm happy with my radio and wouldn't hesitate to send him another one, I just feel it's necessary to caution people considering this about being very precise about what you want and expect. If you want just FM added specify you want an FM mono add-on. If you want extra speakers, specify that or whatever you specifically want and if you are as picky as me and expect to get back the exact radio with the correct numbers and exact wiring connections, specify that and take pictures so you can be certain you get what you are paying him to do.

I don't really blame him for trying to switch out radios, he did the full conversion thing on mine and didn't want to do all the work to undo it when it is likely nobody would notice the switch. The truth is I wouldn't have noticed the switch if it hadn't been for the different connectors, which left me scrambling to try to make work rather than just sticking it back in and connecting up the original connections.
                    '72 J4500

Comment

• Cliff
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 30, 2002

I have a Pioneer single DIN bluetooth that used to be in the glove box, but the PO butchered the box, so I replaced it was a plastic one from BJ's. I installed a Tahoe console, so I am moving the stereo there. The cool thing is Crutchfield makes an antenna splitter (or "joiner" might be a better term) allowing me to retain use of the original AM radio and the console stereo. Works great. I can even play both at the same time.
                      Cliff Danley
                      1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• backroadin'
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 11, 2004

Originally posted by dtatum
                        Alpine 7502

I remember those!! That's what I was going to mention when I read this post - If they still made a modern deck with the post style face.
                        Mine is a Sony of similar vintage, but it's not a post style. Looks more like letanks, but without the cool EQ adjusters on the side!
                        Cool thread!

....now if I can only find where I put my Def Leppard tape and try to wind up all that slack in the reel with my finger while going through this intersection....
                        Good times!
                        1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown https://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/cool.png

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious shhttps://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/eek.pngt!"

Comment

• deckside
                          258 I6
                          • May 02, 2015

Kept my original 8 track in the dash and just installed this blue tooth amp to run my music from my phone...kicks serious ass for the $$ and I have access to all sorts of music including radio through apps

4-channel marine/powersports amplifier with Bluetooth® — 90 watts RMS x 4
                          1980 Wagoneer Limited "Prissyish" Sold
                          1972 Wagoneer Butter Scotch Gold restoring

Comment

• ZackN920
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 18, 2015

8 track...

AWESOME! I'd be using that rather than Bluetooth. I don't know nothin' bout that fancy stuff!
                            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                            Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                            ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Driftwood
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 12, 2000

My 79 came with a hacked dash and no stereo. So I made my own Delete Plate. Hold the laughter!
                              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X