• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

brake fluid as a paint stripper?????

I have a brush guard that I picked up cheap. The paint on it was bubbled in a couple of spots since the truck had caught fire. I put some regular ACE hardware type paint stripper on it and it only seemed to sort of work.

While cleaning out the garage I noticed I have a lot of old brake fluid. I also know that this stuff strips the paint off anything it touches.

Can I use it to strip the paint off my grill guard. (okay, the answer is yes). The real question, will I be able to repaint it? I have several types of paint prep items from when I painted my engine compartement. I just wonder if the brake fluid will get into the metal and make a decent paint job impossible.

Thanks

[ February 22, 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: will e ]
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

• Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

Pick up some of that elcheepo import brake cleaner at the dollar store (I clean the shelf out when I find it in stock there) stuff works great at removeing oil and such after stripping.
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• dnixon
      360 AMC
      • Jul 28, 2002

well when my brake resivours lid popped off and I got brake fluid all over my frame It stripped the paint and underspray down to the metal.. couple coats of primer and some flat black paint and it was perfect..
      All It Takes Is Money.
      I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• jeepguzzi
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Oct 21, 2000

My brother-in-law had his new Porsche vandalized. Seems someone put brake fluid on the fender. He had it repainted.
        79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

Okay. I will give it a shot. I figure if I let it dry off, wash it, clean it with some proper paint prep material, prime it right then I should be in good shape.
          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• dnixon
            360 AMC
            • Jul 28, 2002

i think the only thing is that the stuff is pretty freakin' toxic... so best to stay away from things that you want to live and from freshwater sources
            All It Takes Is Money.
            I'm the reason why you can only have Jeeps for Avatars. You're welcome.

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
              GRUMPY
              • Apr 10, 2001

GO TO WAL-MARTS!!!!! AND GET A GAL OF "THINNER",IN THE AUTO SEC,.....6.95 THAT WILL WORK!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• Big Blue J-10
                350 Buick
                • Feb 02, 2003

The brake fluid will work!!!Just be sure to thourally clean the part before any priming or painting.
                Adam
                1980 Jeep J-10<br />AMC 360 (stock except some chrome)<br />Dual exhaust<br />Dana44 front AMC20 rear<br />4\" inch Trailmaster susp.lift<br />Chevy shackles front,extra leaf rear=5\"inches total lift for now<br />35x12.50 15(no fender triming)<br />body lift coming up soon<br />SOA not far off<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/BigBlueJ10/\" target=\"_blank\">\'80 J10 BigBlue</a><br />\"It\'s not that life\'s to short...<br />It\'s just that your dead for so long\"

Comment

Working...
                X