• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j20brett
    360 AMC
    • Jul 05, 2006

j20 build

Edit: Since this is a build, im linking my old threads here also.

Hood_louvers
    Bumper_Build
    Wheelbase_Shortened
    Flatbed_Fab
    Halfdoor_Fab
    Rockslider_Fab
    Tcase_skidplate_fab

Well since i am slowly building this pig, i might as well start a thread.

From the begining when it was stock

To a new grill, front bumper, lift, tires, and wheels

Cut the fenders for the first k-rocks run, and built a skid plate...it started a chain reaction of mods

After thrashing the bed pretty good at k-rocks and Gilmer, it was time for some drastic changes. I hated how long it was and the lack of traction i was getting. So i got an aussie locker for the front and took 18" out of the frame in the rear, ditched the bed, and built a nice flatbed for it. I had to relocate the gas tank, so i made a cradle out of quarter inch plate and bolted it up to my 4x4x.25 rear crossmember. I also built some have doors for better visibility. The bench seat was pretty crappy also, so i picked up some suspension seats also.

This is what i am thinking of. So pick the top or bottom left design. the other 2 are the bracing designs. Feel free to add pointers as this is my first cage

Last edited by j20brett; 11-22-2011, 03:07 PM.
    Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • TexTJ209
    360 AMC
    • Oct 06, 2005

Bottom one.

Gonna run it into the cab?
    '10 Chevy Silverado 5.3L - The DD.
    '81 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo
    '73 Jeep J2000 - On the perpetual backburner.
    Texas A&M Offroad

Comment

• j20brett
      360 AMC
      • Jul 05, 2006

I havent decided yet. I would like to make a decent looking exo for it eventually, but i dont have enough tube right now. This should keep me from completely crushing the cab and killing me if/when i roll it...i hope
      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• DevEmp
        232 I6
        • Feb 24, 2008

You're making this out of DOM and not HREW, right? What size, what thickness? Do you have the chop saw/bender/welder/notcher or are you paying for stuff to fab'd?Triangles are your friend, and keeping it simple helps while actually trying to bend and notch and weld it all together....

I'd pick neither. If you're making it as an actual cage to save your life, put it inside the cab and not behind it, especially if you're limited on tube. The top of cage to somewhere between the top of the engine block and top of the radiator is all likelyhood the angle you upside down rig could be sitting at. If your (or your passenger's) head has any chance of moving into that zone, it probably will if you're rolling the rig over and trying to fight gravity. If it's just for show, a simple hoop behind the cab and some stiff legs down to the back of the bed and tie it in to the frame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no master cage builder, engineer, or journeyman welder. I just see it as putting the cart before the horse if you're building it as a safety device and not something to look pretty while it takes up cargo space in the bed. You've got a hard top on the rig, and that should help somewhat if you roll it, but if you're wheeling it and you feel like you might need some protection, why not start out right and put it where it'll do the most to benefit you?

My vote goes for in the cab.
        65 Wagoneer: Chevy 350/TH400/D20 D60F Corp14R - cage: 70% fuel system: 50% electrical: 10%
        06 Wrangler Unlimited: a locked rear D44 and enough lift to stuff 35" tires

Comment

• jeeping1974
          360 AMC
          • Jun 17, 2007

If your not going to build a whole in cab cage, at least put the hoop inside the cab and have the bars go out back to frame under the bed.

X2 on triangles.
          03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
          06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• misfittom138
            350 Buick
            • Dec 19, 2007

Bottom design. And I agree with something internal. I'm not a fan of external cages. I mean you can bulid an exo around a soda can, but you can still twist and mangle it up under the tube. At least with internal, the sheet metal will only come in as far as the tube allows. Just my .02.
            81 Wagoneer 360/727/208, lockrite rear/welded front,4.10s, 7"SOA/shackle flip,3" body,OBA,37" Iroks,chopped,caged,highsteer,hydro assist....

Comment

• j20brett
              360 AMC
              • Jul 05, 2006

Thanks for the advice. No, the cage would not be for show. I have seen too many crushed hard tops to go without some type of cage. For me, its all about the ease of fabrication, without sacrificing strength and reliability. It also needs to protect teh sheet metal. This is only the beginning point for my full exo cage. More will be added to it next year to finish it out when money becomes available. I am confident that the cage itself will protet me more than the hardtop alone ever could, even without the rest of the exo done. And as far as outside versus inside goes, it is really personal preference. DEsigned and built correctly, they perform the same.

And yes, i do have access to all necessary exquipment and tools to safely build this cage. It will be 1.75x.120 DOM

And it will tie into the flatbed, which will be further tied into the frame to prevent any failures. I just didnt have time to put all the extra detail into my drawing.

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• j10jim
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 11, 2003

I have a in cab cage that goes thru the dash. Also the front part of the halo bar actually goes into the brow on my truck
                1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• j20brett
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 05, 2006

Well here is how she turned out.

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• DevEmp
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 24, 2008

Did you end up using HREW? What's the wall thickness? Did you reinforce the frame where the hoop ties in? Tad sells some pre-cut plates that fit nicely if you didn't.
                    65 Wagoneer: Chevy 350/TH400/D20 D60F Corp14R - cage: 70% fuel system: 50% electrical: 10%
                    06 Wrangler Unlimited: a locked rear D44 and enough lift to stuff 35" tires

Comment

• j20brett
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 05, 2006

Havent finished it yet. Still need to box the frame ties and it is all 1.75x.120 DOM. I stiil need to add bracing underneath and in the back.

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• j20brett
                        360 AMC
                        • Jul 05, 2006

And the rest of the build pics that i finally got around to taking. She wheels!!

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• jeepjerry
                          304 AMC
                          • Oct 12, 2008

Nice shiny tires....
                          1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
                          1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
                          1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
                          Kenosha, WI 53142
                          http://www.alfanoperformance.com
                          For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• j20brett
                            360 AMC
                            • Jul 05, 2006

haha! just washed them off in the stream lol

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

nice work brett! did i miss the post on your square drive shafts?

Al
                              79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                              99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                              07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

Working...
                              X