• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75wag401
    232 I6
    • Jun 23, 2004

rear suspension lift

Ok Ive got a 75 wag (see my first post... apparently I cant type and it is Hello new mwmber, so...)

anyways, i put a 4 inch black diamond aka superlift
    set of springs on it and first of all the bushings were wrong on the backend, and also the springs are too long... the shackles are folded up on them and basically I,m gonna have to cut the brackets off and slide them back a few inches, theoretically giving me more lift...

Basically what I was wondering was if anyone else has had this problem and how hard the "psuedo-rivets" are to cut thru, and if theres a better method of approach....

thanks, Luke
  • The Anti-Chrysler
    Disciple of A.M.C.
    • Aug 19, 2002

Are you sure the lift wasn't for the later box mount shackles, vs. the post mounts you have on your '75?? I think that's your problem. Just now places like BJ's off road are coming out with a post mount lift kit.
    Jason Davis
    '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
    '85 J-10 (parts)
    '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• 75wag401
      232 I6
      • Jun 23, 2004

mine is post mount, but the springs said something like 74-80something..... jeep wagoneer/ cherokee.....
      basically they said they WERE for a 75 or so they said...

only nice thing is that leaves more room for more lift [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• 89grand
        Resident ***hole
        • Feb 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure the rear springs are different on '75 and down. So if they said 74-80 something that doesn't sound right. It should have said 76-91.
        Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
        31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
        2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
        2000 Jeep Wrangler
        1988 Cadillac Brougham
        1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
        1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• 75wag401
          232 I6
          • Jun 23, 2004

eeehhhhh whatever... they're wrong nonetheless...
          but My present complaint is the insano bouncing, but hopefully that will be remedied (sp?) soon

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

Yep, you got the wrong springs on there. Not your fault, a fair amount of post mount guys been thru the ringer on this one.
            Your post mount springs are 52" long (gee, same as some chevy trucks, go figure) and the ones they sent your are 56".

BTW, Welcome.

Your thought on moving the rear post back has a few pitfalls or it would have become comon practice by now among us post mounters (I know, that just doesn't sound good).

First and by far the worst is that post is on there really really good, peek inside the frame on the back side, if it's like the 3 I have had, that baby is welded thru the frame.

Second it's going to change the relationship between where the axle sits and the wheel well opening. Not insurmountable but certianly another problem.

I would send the springs back, demand a refund and damages.

One solution if your old springs are in decent shape is to flip the shackle and then add whatever size block will level it out. Get new ubolts, make sure they are 9/16", not them cheasy ones at the zone.

Skyjacker makes 52" Chevy springs in 2", 4", 6" and 8" lift versions, or you can go the cheap route like I did and use Triangle springs set for 2 1/2" of lift and a 2" block.

Here is the link to the part# for the Triangle 2 1/2" lift springs (they will need your jeep bushings).

Here is the link for Triangle sping distributors in GA.

Do a tech forum searh for post mounts, lots of other onfo out there to.
            Best of the FSJ luck to ya.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
            Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• 75wag401
              232 I6
              • Jun 23, 2004

Problem is..... I'm already runnin about 4 inch lift blocks... any idea on movin both posts? or is that just crazy talk? I bought the springs nearly a year ago, so I dunno if a return is possible... I just finished my freshman year of college so you can see I haven't exactly had the time to mess with it...

Comment

• 89grand
                Resident ***hole
                • Feb 23, 2003

Tad, you're a post mounter? Not that there is any thing wrong with that. Like Tad said, moving the spring mounts isn't exactly crazy talk, but it's close. I would try to sell the springs and get the correct post mount lift springs, or do the shackle flip.
                Steve

1989 Black Grand Wagoneer, BJ's 4" lift, ProComp ES3000's
                31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's,MSD 6A,TFI upgrade,360,727,229,2.72 gears.
                2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
                2000 Jeep Wrangler
                1988 Cadillac Brougham
                1966 Dodge Monaco 500 383
                1965 Pontiac Tempest 326

Comment

• 75wag401
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 23, 2004

any idea what the springs are supposed to be or what I could pass them off as? ha
                  and are there 6 inch lift springs available yet?

what exactly is the shackle flip?
                  a shackle reversal or what...cuz a reversal would be counterproductive (nice vocabulary huh?)

Comment

• billyrb
                    BJ's Off-Road
                    • Aug 15, 2001

75wag401, our post-mount suspension system will be available around the end of august. Will be a direct bolt on, unlike the superlift set you just got.

btw, I'm a UGA alumni. GoooooooOOOOO DAWGS!
                    BJ's Off-Road
                    [email protected]
                    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by 75wag401:
                      ...any idea on movin both posts? or is that just crazy talk?...
                      Well, I teach welding, build and fab for living and I wouldn't bother. Way too much fab work for the end result IMHO,

Originally posted by 75wag401:
                      any idea what the springs are supposed to be or what I could pass them off as? ha
                      and are there 6 inch lift springs available yet?

what exactly is the shackle flip?
                      a shackle reversal or what...cuz a reversal would be counterproductive (nice vocabulary huh?)
                      You said they were Wag springs? Correct?
                      Then that's what they are, 76-91 rear 4" lift?

Post Mount Shackle Flip =
                      Jack up the rear enough to take the weight off the springs, pull off the shackles, jack it up some more, install them upside down.
                      Pretty simple but it only works with your original 52" springs.

Do the search, I swear there are many who know more who came before me.

To this day, I still thank Kimborough for saving my *** and wallet, (him and the search function). You are not around much anymore but I never forget who helped, Thanks Buddy
                      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• billyrb
                        BJ's Off-Road
                        • Aug 15, 2001

Kimbrough has helped out more people than I can think of, and is truly an FSJ God!

Btw Tad, you should send him pics of your SOA kits.....
                        BJ's Off-Road
                        [email protected]

Comment

• 75wag401
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 23, 2004

I already got SOA up front... will show pics soon as soon as I get it runnin again... (haha sort of) anyways Ryan, I work at PORC and had alex email you bout those springs today...
                          for my front SOA, I just need the High steer brackets, but i found some cheap on ebay, and one of the few graces my jeep has given me is flat top spindles...

Comment

• billyrb
                            BJ's Off-Road
                            • Aug 15, 2001

hehehe, too funny. I'll get you a price shortly.
                            BJ's Off-Road
                            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X