FnK Moab 11 Pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gambler68
    yeah it was a stupid obstacle. Hikers likely tossed all the rocks down off the trail that's not shown in the pic is my opinion.
    I'm sure those rocks were stacked to help vehicles get up the steps. It would be the only way you could get a tire up without bumping the heck out of it and risk bumping yourself right over the edge of the trail!
    Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
    77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
    The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

Link to Porcupine Rim (the few hundred yards we went before turning back) and Sand Flats Rec Area views.

Shots of the infamous stepped switchback:

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Yeah there's no way that's meant to be a switchback any more for anything not low and small like an atv..hmm..go figure.. :/

People better get off their butts and haul out to Moab next year, we'll be seeing more of this. We saw 20x more atvs and rhinos then even baby jeeps. In fact, I'd say we passed less than 10 actual jeeps in three days on the trail.
        1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
        1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• bigun
          • Feb 10, 2003

Any pictures of anybody going down it?
          charlie
          KB0HXA
          "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
          How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
          Robert A. Heinlein
          The birth of CROM is recorded here
          http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

Originally posted by bigun
            Any pictures of anybody going down it?
            Nobody went down. We backed up to a spot that allowed us to turn around and we left the trail.

Comment

Hhhhhhmmmmmmm - just googled porcupine rim trail thinking I'd find some images or vids. Every single link on the first search result page was for mountain biking. Still searching......

And pretty much got nothing. Mostly mountain biking the trail. Looks like it is an in and out trail altho there is a bypass or two back out to Sand Flats Rd. You can drive about 11 miles and it turns into bike single track. Found one vid from 06 coming down the ledges, but not the decent around the switchback.
              Last edited by Jeepstress; 04-18-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                304 AMC
                • Aug 22, 2003

try this for some pix of that spot

searched porcupine trail moab ut and went to 10th page to get away from biking info
                Last edited by flatbackdragon; 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM.
                "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

Good catch. I gave up after page 6 or so! Even searching youtube it's mostly all bikes.

Comment

• bigun
                    • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                    Nobody went down. We backed up to a spot that allowed us to turn around and we left the trail.
                    Understood definitely need to bring Crom someday
                    charlie
                    KB0HXA
                    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                    Robert A. Heinlein
                    The birth of CROM is recorded here
                    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                      304 AMC
                      • Aug 22, 2003

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                      Good catch. I gave up after page 6 or so! Even searching youtube it's mostly all bikes.
                      looking at first page after your comment of mtn biking went straight to page 10 and looked for anything that had 4x4 in title or site. worked like a charm, this ol mans brain works sometimes. haven't checked any further yet tho.
                      "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                        304 AMC
                        • Aug 22, 2003

if i just hadn't forgotten to take the date off the camera

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                          Señor Jackhead
                          • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by flatbackdragon
                          little drop to the left for a 180* turn at Porcupine

This is what it looked like in 2005. Those are 40" tires. So it was still a bit steep.
                          Flint
                          Ran when parked.
                          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

on the way to Hey Joe

Flint
                            Ran when parked.
                            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• srobertsfsj
                              304 AMC
                              • Aug 26, 2002

I knew I remember being on the trail, that is the year I broke the J20 and rode with Michael.

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                              This is what it looked like in 2005. Those are 40" tires. So it was still a bit steep.
                              Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer Super Chief 360 / TBI / WT conversion / 35x12.5x16 BFG Mud-Terrains (Project Link)
                              http://www.cfsja.org / http://www.fsjnetwork.com

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep?s temp going towards that 220F mark, I?m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X