• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEX
    258 I6
    • Dec 20, 2001

Shackle flip (Stuka HELP!)

I tried to do a shackle flip today on my 73' J10. It didn't work I don't know what I did wrong so if anyone (Stuka esp.) could give me some step by step instructions I would be very greatful.

Thanks

TEX
    In the Process of buying another J10. 77 long bed, 401, 400, QT.
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

hrm...what part about it didnt work?

Basically you unbolt the rear eye of the spring from the shackle, then tturn the shackle so it faces down (takes some force to do this). Then you bolt the spring back up to the shackle.

When done it should look like this image:

EDIT: Oh, your brake line wont be long enough. It will need to either have adrop bracket, or just bend the steel line down so you have some slack. This is what I did...sure it issnt 100% correct..but I havent had any problems yet.

[ December 12, 2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Stuka ]

Comment

• TEX
      258 I6
      • Dec 20, 2001

Ok. Do you unbolt the spring from the axles first? How is the truck supposed to jacked up? I really don't get it.

Anymore info?

Thanks
      TEX

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

ahh ok....

you need to support the weight of the truck on blocks or stands of some sort. You have to support the frame. The axle needs to be un-bolted from the springs yes. Remove tires of course.

What I did is have 2 jacks under the axle, took tires off, then lowered truck down onto these big pine rounders i have, that are about 25" tall, onto the back of the frame.

Then I unbolted the u-bolts, but kep the 2 jacks under the axle to support it (they are rolling floor jacks) Then once the axle is free, lower it down. Then un-bolt the rear eye of the leaf spring from the shackle. Then rotate the shackle, you will need to use some force to do this.

Then bolt the springs back to the shackles. With the shackles pointed down. Then bolt the axle back up.

Oh yes...as stated in the above post...you will need to lengthen your brake line, or unbolt it and bend the steel line down.

Comment

• TEX
          258 I6
          • Dec 20, 2001

Thank you greatly! I really appreciate the help on this. The break lines are shot. The previous owner busted a Ubolt and drove it anyway breaking the break lines, shocks and the other ubolt. I have break lines, shocks and 4" front leaves coming from Rusty's pretty quick here.

Thanks Again!!!!

TEX

Comment

• Stuka
            • Jan 21, 2001

Make sure you get new u-bolts for the back. Factory they are 1/2 inch. You can convert to 9/16 tho. But you have to drill out the plate that they bolt to. Not a big deal, just get it straight.

Comment

• TEX
              258 I6
              • Dec 20, 2001

Already ordered!

Thanks
              TEX

Comment

Working...
              X