Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MonsterMash

Bigger Speakers in GW

My '84 GW has plenty of room both in the front door and also in the back panels for larger speakers. Have any of you guys upgraded your 5 1/4 in. speakers? It looks like it would merely take a couple of customized brackets for each speaker to be mounted. The possible problems I see are probably going to be due to the door panels and maybe rear panels and also the ability to access the jacket storage area which I keep plenty of stuff in. Any comments would be welcome.

------------------
    '84GW360--"Spinner"
    And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.
  • Bernie
    232 I6
    • Apr 11, 2000

I haven't gone with bigger but I have gone with a nice set of Boston Acoustics and they sound great. I'm thinking that if you went to big it might intefere with the window.

------------------
    To many Jeeps not enough money!!
    To many Jeeps not enough money!!

Comment

• Marc_01
      327 Rambler
      • May 10, 2000

I installed 6 1/2 in the doors on my 87 wag.
      87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• Rye
        232 I6
        • Jun 15, 2000

I didn't go with stock speaker placement. I have 6x9's in those cheap Wal-mart boxes and I made some mounting brackets that placed them up and over the wheel wells (far enuff back to keep the back seat passengers from banging their heads). This way it doesn't interfear with cargo placement and they are high enuff to sound good.
        Then in the front I made a custom speaker bracket to hold 5 1/4" speakers under the dash, centered on my glove box. This works for me. I'll probably add some tweeters on top of my dash later. Now I just need to fix my exhaust so I can actually hear the music.

------------------
        76 Wag 401 Th400 Q-trac w/ low range
        3" body lift 32" BFG's
        Dual exhaust
        My first 4x4!!!
        Slowly coming alive
        87 Grand Wagoneer
        401, Z&M HEI, Eldelbrock carb/intake/headers, Tadrack, Youngjeeper front recovery mount

Comment

• RustyJeep
          304 AMC
          • Apr 09, 2000

I put 6x9's in the back just by making some mounting plates out of 3/8" particle board. I never used the jack storage area anyway, so i was feasible for me. Maybe not, though if you actually do use it...not much room left.
          -Rustyjeep-
          aka Ben Mitchell
          '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• MonsterMash

I just got done putting 6"x9" speakers in my front doors and man they sound great. Really good bass. I put in 4 ways and I really like them. They fit just fine and I even used 2 of the original screw holes. They are deep so there is only about an inch or so between the magnets and the outer door skins but there shouldn't be a problem with that. I even left the door panel openings the same and I just put some 5 1/4" grills over the openings since my stock grills were busted. I'd like a bigger opening but with the metal trim and the map pocket it wasn't really a job I wanted to take on. The speakers I got were easily mounted with four little metal straps that I got at the hardware store (about 2" long with holes on either end). I'm really happy with this set-up. I just hope they will weather alright there considering the moisture and pounding they will be taking. By the way if anyone hasn't heard of Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) then they should check it out. I've bought audio stuff from them for many years and they have been excellent in both prices and selection.

------------------
            '84GW360--"Spinner"
            And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.

Comment

• wcollier
              232 I6
              • Apr 26, 2000

ugh! I just paid a significant amount of money to have a Sony CD deck installed, and some middle of the line Pioneer 5 1/4" speakers (4). What a disappointing sound! So much for BestBuy being 'inventive'. I asked the guy if he could custom fit some 6x9's in the front and/or rear, and he said 'no way'. argh. There's so little low end, and minimal mid-range. Sounds like crap. I like the idea of adding partical board and mounting rear 6x9's. I might do that and add a cross over and route bass to rear. Was also considering one 8" sub, but no place to put it and not mess with cargo area.

Argh!

------------------
              Will Collier
              Austin Four Wheelers / TMTC
              1988 Grand Wagoneer "Woodless"
              EMT-I / KB5WRK
              Will Collier<br />1988 Grand Wagoneer \"Woodless\"<br />360 w/RV Cam(new rebuild), 727(new rebuild), NP229 (new reseal)<br />Edelbrock 1406 4bbl & Performer Manifold (no EGR), Dual Dana 44\'s (3:31)<br />MSD 6A Ignition and Blaster 2F Coil, Accel Spiral Core 8.5mm wires<br />Rough Country 3\" Spring Lift, Heckethorn Shocks & Steering Stabilizer<br />31 x 10.5 BFG AT KO\'s, 3 Core Radiator, Flowmaster, Zero Smog!<p>* KB5WRK *

Comment

• RustyJeep
                304 AMC
                • Apr 09, 2000

WC,
                Depending on what sony deck you have, you might not need the crossover. My sony that I installed has digital crossover right inside. Also, with the 6x9's in the back, I had a 40X4 amp powering it. Polk Audio all the way around. I believe it took me 3 hours to cut the new openings in side pieces, make brackets, and paint them. Works real slick.

-Rustyjeep-
                aka Ben Mitchell
                '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

Working...
                X