Fuel Tank support advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank support advice

I have been given an 88 wagoneer and was planning to pick it up and drive it home (4 hour drive) this weekend,but the fuel tank skid plate is rusted through and pretty much worthless. My question is are there supports that hold the tank besides the skid plate and will it hold the tank for the 4 hour drive home? My choices are to let the guy order the $300 part and install it then wait an extra week to pick it up or can I rig it somehow and have the part made cheaper once I get it home?

------------------
  • andy d
    Shade Tree Shaman
    • May 06, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trogers:
    I have been given an 88 wagoneer and was planning to pick it up and drive it home (4 hour drive) this weekend,but the fuel tank skid plate is rusted through and pretty much worthless. My question is are there supports that hold the tank besides the skid plate and will it hold the tank for the 4 hour drive home? My choices are to let the guy order the $300 part and install it then wait an extra week to pick it up or can I rig it somehow and have the part made cheaper once I get it home?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>welcome to the gwag universe! unless skidplate is dragging dont worry. the gas tank is molded to fit in various nooks + crannies of chassis.independent of the skidplate are conventional straps.with out looking @rig its difficult to diagnose. does gwag run? you should be set;reason tank hasnt dropped pinching off fuel lines.
    goodluck!!!

------------------
    '88 gwag
    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• scotty
      • Jun 12, 2000

there were not conventional staps on mine.the skid plate is vairly thin metal and not much of a skidplate.there is a rubber mat that cushions the plastic tank all around the inside. the box/skidplate thing is what keeps the tank in place. just about every full size jeep ive ever seen after 1980 has this same problem.the frame and box i think were structurally engineered to retain,mud,salt slush,etc.so they rust very quickly.it is pretty thin metal.
      i got parts from a guy that(actually,the rig i was getting the parts from) when he picked it up,it ran fine,etc.,so he stopped and put $10 worth of gas in it to get home and the gas tank fell out-thunk! onto the ground.
      it is a tough call without seeing it.$300 sounds like alot to me.i was simply going to hang mine with conventional straps,then make a real skiddplate(out of THICK metal to protect it)but i ended up mounting a big square tank in the back instead.
      this may ssound alittle corny,but for the drive home,id just wrap a few bungy cords around it and go.the peoblem i had was that the side of the box was rubbing on the rear drivehaft,since the entire bottom was gone. as long as nothing is rubbing, i think youll be fine.as was stated in the other post,the tank is form fitted to the frame,and the box has to be real bad for the tank to actually fall out.after i got mine out,i was surprised what little was still holding it in place!
      anyway,a few bungee cords or wratchet straps will get you home,and be able to properly assess the situation,and maybe come up with a better than $300 solution.

hoe this helps.

------------------
      scott
      85 grand wagoneer
      258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
      38x15.5 gumbo mudders
      snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
      3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
      custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd
      scotty
      85 grand wagoneer
      258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
      38" TSL SXs
      chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• Ralph
        Third Member
        • Apr 11, 2000

JW Jeeps sells the skid plate for $130. I've been shopping for price, since this is in line with my next project (the skid plate and replacing my rear leaf springs).

There's an excellent article (with pictures) on replacing the skid plate at the Colorado FSJA website: http://www.cfsja.org.
        We did it to Japan. We can do it to it to Iran!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ralph:
          JW Jeeps sells the skid plate for $130. I've been shopping for price, since this is in line with my next project (the skid plate and replacing my rear leaf springs).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! They must know the value of their skidplates, as I got mine for $85, including shipping across the country just, a year ago! Auto Rust Technicians (link on my GW page) has come up with a frame-rail/skidplate repair kit; I haven't seen it yet.

But while I was waiting for the J&W shipment, I used a small ratchet tie-down around the tank, frame and something on the body to secure the tank, and that held it just fine (my skidplate was only half rusted away, and sagging in the back).

------------------
          Bob Barry
          <UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
          * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am going to strap it down as a precaution and find a cheaper skid plate,possibly one from J&W Jeep.I've been waiting since April to get this jeep and I'm not going to let a little rust keep me from driving it to its new home!

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X