International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Drivetrain

Old 08-01-2002, 04:05 AM
Jeep Doctor

Quote:
Originally posted by porkchop:
I finally remembered and went out and got a picture of the bellhousing of the TH400 on the 70 wag. Here it is.

It also has a really deep pan, deeper than mine, that has the standard GM writing on it.
IIRC, a Chevy-pattern would have five-bolts; the bottom four shared with the BOP pattern, and a single top bolt, rather than two top bolts for the BOP pattern. The universal-case TH350's and the like have seven bolts, with the top bolts for both the Chevy and the BOP patterns.

That torque-converter looks like it's sticking out pretty far. Comparing that pattern to the BOP-nailhead adapter pictures posted, I'd say Porkchop has a nailhead-pattern tranny in that '70.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:06 AM
Sloppy Shifter

flexplate spacer
Sure would like to see a Pic of that! Or is it an AMC thing? I have never pulled the one I have apart, but I know the Buick there is no spacer.

[ August 01, 2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]
Old 08-01-2002, 04:08 AM
Master of B.S.

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
Porkchop it is not original. That is a Chevy bolt patern, I have one of them as well.
Hmmmmm, I wonder why he said it is. He has the adapter for it and everything. I will have to get a hold of him and see what's up. I don't know for sure, I am learning on this. Thanks for all the help. I am sure Hump is glade as well .
Old 08-01-2002, 04:15 AM
Master of B.S.

So is it original, Bob? This is getting to be confusing .
Old 08-01-2002, 04:26 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Nothing confuseing really. I will explain it clearer this time. Jeep NEVER EVER EVER used a BOP Patern Transmision in ANY Jeep........ It was a Buick NAILHEAD only bolt patern. The Only way Jeep was able to hook up the Nail Head transmision was through an adapter ring Like I have pictured here, a different adapter was used for each different bolt patern used. AMC 327, and BOP for the Buick 350, and the later standardized AMC bolt patern. 3 different adapters in all. NAILHEAD Adapter
UMMM This look familiar??? I pulled a 454 from a Chevy Pick up this TH400 was behind it. Looks like your pic! Chevy Bolt patern
Old 08-01-2002, 04:33 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Hey Pete, do you have any pics of the amc adapter? I need to make sure the adapter I think I am getting is really for an amc motor.
'99 & '00 XJ parts Jeeps
Old 08-01-2002, 04:40 AM
Sloppy Shifter

No I do not. It is still in the 72 Wagoneer I have. First off it will need to be out of a 70 to 73 FSJ anything else would not be correct. You can eyeball it pretty easy though. one side will have the AMC 360 bolt patern and the other the Nailhead Patern. It would Look identical to the Nailhead Transmision I have pictured on one side and like the TH400 that was in front of your Q-Trac. Or the rear of your 360. Simple stuff!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 04:52 AM
Master of B.S.

Ok so then according to Bob Barry it is a nailhead pattern but it looks like the chevy pattern you have. So from what you are saying then is that there is no way that the TH400 that is in the 70 wag is from the factory?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:07 AM
Sloppy Shifter

I do not think there is any similarity between the Chevy or the Nail Head patterns at all. The only way that TH400 you have pictured got into that FSJ was it was put in by the same person that ran a Chevy engine in front of it. It is not original nor is it Nail Head bolt pattern. It is a Chevy.... That's it!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:46 AM
304 AMC

CJ, As I said earlier in the start of this thread and you just agreed, there is no way it is an original tranny in PC's 70. They just never put a chevy th400 in a FSJ. Let's talk about the crank spacer though. To mate a 360 up to the nailhead I assure you it's needed. If you bolt it all up w/o it, the flexplate will be about 3/4in away from the torque convertor, so a person would be inclined to pull the convertor out to the flexplate, disengaging it from the oil pump. I cut one of the spacers down to mate my 401 w/o a hole in the crank to my late model tranny, had to space the bellhousing as well. At any rate they exist and were used on these. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether they were on the Buick set up or not. J20

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/
Old 08-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Master of B.S.

Now it is clear . It is not my 70 wag, it is gremlin's. But thank you for clear the whole thing up for me. I am still going to talk to the PO of the 70 and find out why he swears that it is the original tranny. He was only the second owner of it.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
To mate a 360 up to the nailhead I assure you it's needed. If you bolt it all up w/o it, the flexplate will be about 3/4in away from the torque convertor, so a person would be inclined to pull the convertor out to the flexplate, disengaging it from the oil pump. I cut one of the spacers down to mate my 401 w/o a hole in the crank to my late model tranny, had to space the bellhousing as well. At any rate they exist and were used on these. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether they were on the Buick set up or not. J20
Ok I Kinda figured it would have to be the AMC 360 thing. Buick does not have the spacer, and nor does the AMC 327 if I remember correctly. I have a 360 and Nailhead trany in a 72 but it is still in it I have never pulled it, yet. When I do I guess I will be sure to pull the spacer.

[ August 01, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]
Old 08-01-2002, 12:12 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Question

Sorry, But I just pulled the motor out of my 73 a few days ago, and didn't see either a spacer, or the tourque converter sticking out past the tranny bell housing... where is the spacer located, and does anybody have a picture of it set-up? I don't want to goof anything up when I put it back together...
Old 08-02-2002, 05:14 AM
Sloppy Shifter

I already know you have the AMC 360, so Ok am I to understand you have the Nailhead Trany with the AMC to Nailhead adapter, and found no spacer between the Crank and Flex-Plate? nor between the Flexplate and Torque? I would like to know this as I do not think there is one. I have looked and never seen one either, in the real world nor all my books. However everyone has been telling me about a Spacer?
Old 08-02-2002, 05:35 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I obviously am the last one to know, as I am a big goof up when it comes to my Jeep, but Rande said that there is a flexplate spacer that is coming with the transmission I bought off of him. I guess I can confirm when I get it.
'99 & '00 XJ parts Jeeps
Old 08-02-2002, 05:57 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
I will go out and check it in the morning. I can also get some pics of it.
PC.

I would really like to know what tranny is in there. Original nailhead, BOP, or swapped Chevy, or....

kris.

[ August 02, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Kris ]
Old 08-02-2002, 06:18 AM
Sloppy Shifter

Quote:
I would really like to know what tranny is in there. Original nailhead, BOP, or swapped Chevy, or
CHEVY If that does not convince you go to ebay and do a search on Chevy Bellhousings I think you will see that is a Chevy Transmission. It is not Original. If you are thinking a Buick 350 will bolt in.......NOPE it will not. If you would like to see the Bolt patern of the Buick I can post pics of that as well, I have em all.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:23 AM
Master of B.S.

We have come to the conclusion that it is positively chevy. As to when, if at all, it was swapped in is still a mystery. I am going to contact the original owner this weekend, hopefully, and find out.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:35 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
I already know you have the AMC 360, so Ok am I to understand you have the Nailhead Trany with the AMC to Nailhead adapter, and found no spacer between the Crank and Flex-Plate? nor between the Flexplate and Torque? I would like to know this as I do not think there is one. I have looked and never seen one either, in the real world nor all my books. However everyone has been telling me about a Spacer?
You are correct in thinking I have not found any of that in there.. I do have the 360/ adapter/ nailhead TH400.... but there is no spacer......
Old 08-02-2002, 06:38 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
We have come to the conclusion that it is positively chevy. As to when, if at all, it was swapped in is still a mystery. I am going to contact the original owner this weekend, hopefully, and find out.
Thanks,
I will call you this weekend....

kris.

Save the Hammers<--Click it!

AX-15 swap info threads...
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
Theres more but that should get you started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinPete
-If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-