• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brody93
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 17, 2012

Value or No

I have a 1989 Grand Wagoneer. It has rust in the quarte panels, floorboards, fenders. Basically it is going to need quite a few patches and welds. I have stripped the tired woodgrain and paint off for the most part. It has electrical gremlins and a 200k plus motor that will need rebuilt along with all new suspension around plus transmission rebuild most likely. Interior gutted and gonna need all new. It needs basically everything that could go wrong to be fixed. It came from Maryland so it has coast rust with salt. I live out in Oregon so no rust. There is the intro, her is the question. It is a color code matching Spinnaker Blue and clean title. I did not know if that is worth the value or if color code does not really matter on these? I picked it up a year or so ago for a grand and it has been sitting in my garage ever since as I collected some parts but don't know if I want a new starting point or to venture into this. Sorry for the long post. Long story short, is 1989 Grand Wagoneer with color code of Spinnaker Blue worth more than an average waggy?
    Thanks in advance!
    Good to be back, I have missed the Jeep way of life ever since I let go of my Cherokee Chief years ago.
  • 8man
    304 AMC
    • Jan 04, 2011

The real question is "what is it worth to you?"

I wanted a Jeep Cherokee. So I bought one that had no real value for a grand. It now has a new motor, tranny, interior, paint and much more.

It was worth it to me, but I didn't do it for re-sale. My daughter can get rid of it when I'm gone.
    79 Cherokee S (current project)
    82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

The color isn't going to add any value because of the rust. It is going to need to be painted. These Wagos are almost worthless unless you have a daily driver-able/super nice one. Then the price goes through the roof. People paying big money for them don;t want to pay big money for a rust bucket, they want to pay big money to drive it and look at it. A desirable paint code only adds value if they color is in good shape.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Sheesh, lotsa rust, lotsa miles, bad motor, very tired mechanicals, bad suspension and interior.... That's a serious time/money intensive project car or at best a cheap "questionable" parts donor. Yeah the Spinnaker Blue is a nice color but doesn't add to general market value especially considering the orig pretty paint will be destroyed by extensive body/rust work.
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

The most economical route is to start with the best example you can find.

Parts car, IMO.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
            Cherokee Outlaw
            • Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like a parts rig/junkyard fodder to me unfortunately
            -Jonny B.
            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
            1979 Wagoneer - Sold
            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

It sounds like a parts wagon to me, good luck with your decision.
              1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
              Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• ShagWagon
                350 Buick
                • Apr 10, 2016

Build it and keep it.
                87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

Working...
                X