• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DieselSJ
    304 AMC
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ivecowaggy
    The air filter is definitely on my list and I'd like to change it to a waste gate intercooled turbo set up in the future but running more than 10-12 psi of boost on this type of engine I've read is bad because of the 17:1 compression ratio, I could be wrong tho, more or less would want a turbo that spools up at lower rpm, I only see max boost when passing on the highway. And a trans with more gears would make a HUGE difference in the power output I think.
    17:1 begs for more turbo boost. Just make sure the head gaskets are up for it. My 6.5 stock compression is like 21:1 and guys drop it to 18:1 if they want to push more boost into it. With my compression, I run a max of about 15psi. If I went down to 18:1, I'd push 20psi into it.
    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
    -99 XJ Limited.
    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• 350 Vortec
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2014

Odd,over here we do it the other way around,lower compression in order to increase running boost..pretty sure that's universal

Comment

• ivecowaggy
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 29, 2015

That's good news! Now I just have to figure out if I need to swap to a waste gate turbo to gain more boost, also have to add an intercooler
        1984 white wagoneer
        Iveco diesel swap
        727/229

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
          232 I6
          • Aug 14, 2012

Case International farm equipment dealers sell Iveco irrigation engines. they might be a source for parts.
          "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• DieselSJ
            304 AMC
            • May 19, 2003

That's good news! Now I just have to figure out if I need to swap to a waste gate turbo to gain more boost, also have to add an intercooler
            Well, you don't install a waste-gated turbo for more boost. They typically allow you to tune it to get your boost sooner. You can run a smaller unit so that it spools quickly, then the wastegate opens to bleed exhaust so that you don't overboost. Intercoolers are a good idea for anything over 12psi. Less than that and there really isn't much gain.
            -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
            -99 XJ Limited.
            -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• ivecowaggy
              230 Tornado
              • Jan 29, 2015

After looking in front of my radiator I don't believe I have enough room for an intercooler, that's bummer. Never thought of checking there for parts thanks for the tip! I have a lead on a guy with a similar size turbo I think its a garret that has a waste gate. I understand how that works between the two types, I need to find more info about the engine and turbo to see what kind of boost it is capable of. Otherwise I'll have to find a smaller one
              1984 white wagoneer
              Iveco diesel swap
              727/229

Comment

• DieselSJ
                304 AMC
                • May 19, 2003

After looking in front of my radiator I don't believe I have enough room for an intercooler, that's bummer. Never thought of checking there for parts thanks for the tip! I have a lead on a guy with a similar size turbo I think its a garret that has a waste gate. I understand how that works between the two types, I need to find more info about the engine and turbo to see what kind of boost it is capable of. Otherwise I'll have to find a smaller one
                Use a water-to-air intercooler then you just need a small heat exchanger in front of the radiator.
                -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• ivecowaggy
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jan 29, 2015

Are those only available in the aftermarket?
                  1984 white wagoneer
                  Iveco diesel swap
                  727/229

Comment

• DieselSJ
                    304 AMC
                    • May 19, 2003

Are those only available in the aftermarket?
                    Typically, yes. But you can source the heat exchanger and pump from some factory supercharged vehicles.

But you can find everything on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ooler&_sacat=0
                    -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• ivecowaggy
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jan 29, 2015

That's a lot cheaper than I figured they would be. Definitely be putting this on my TO DO list
                      1984 white wagoneer
                      Iveco diesel swap
                      727/229

Comment

Working...
                      X