• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grenadiers
    258 I6
    • Jan 02, 2003

TH400 final update...bear with me!

In previous posts I mentioned that I had rebuilt the tranny and it didn't work. Well, I bought a used one for $100 and started to remove the old one friday night. I got the low range unit on the QT removed, and then decided to drop the pan to take a look. Immediately, I noticed that the manual shift rod was not connected to the main valve! No motion gonna happen without that. So, I reconnected the two, and running thru the gears the rod slipped off of the valve. Hmmm, why did it do that? I looked at the new tranny and grabbed the shift lever, ran it thru it's gears, and noticed that it didn't move in and out like the one I have! Light bulb went off, and reread the rebuild instructions. There is a 'nail' that holds it in to the case, mine was missing. Put a new one in, buttoned up the tranny, and the jeep now works! THere was a bit of metal in the fluid and pan, so I'm sure the rear sun gear and pinion gears were fried some. Put 50 miles or so on it today, and it worked fine. Have that spare in case it goes south. Warm weather is here in minnesota and now have a FSJ to enjoy it!
    Unicef Foster Child sponsored by a Canadian Family
    1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, excellent original condition.
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

Congratulations!

It's nice when the fix is an easy one like that.
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• PlumCrazy
      360 AMC
      • Oct 07, 2003

Change your filter and check it again after a few more miles and see if there is any more metal in the pan...never hurts to look, just messy

Wayne S
      My license plate says "Crazy" not stupid

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
      *STATUS Down as a summer project*

Comment

• gsmikie
        Auto Trannie God
        • Feb 18, 2001

yep there are 3 nails in a th 400..... the metal(dust) in the pan after a rebuild is common unless you had a lot but since the truck did not drive i doubt you have any damage in the trans
        I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• Grenadiers
          258 I6
          • Jan 02, 2003

That would be nice, we drove it over 100 miles this nice warm weekend in minnesota. Could hardly feel it shift, very smooth. Now I can concentrate on the 475 little things that need attention. Hmmmm, gas gauge doesn't work, can't lower the rear window with the key, front switch works great though, passenger side exhaust manifold has a crack in it, can smell exhaust fumes in cab, need to booger up a manual choke cable for the new holley I put in. Last question, for now, why does the upper radiator hose collapse on itself?

Comment

• PlumCrazy
            360 AMC
            • Oct 07, 2003

bad t-stat...a good cure for that is to drill an 1/4" hole on the metal flange of the t-stat to allow some water to pass (but not much) even if the stat goes bad.

Just my observation through trial and error
            My license plate says "Crazy" not stupid

1971 J4000 Buick 350/TH400 "Terra"
            *STATUS Down as a summer project*

Comment

• Grenadiers
              258 I6
              • Jan 02, 2003

I have a new stat and hose, I've seen that weep hole in other stats for previous vehicles.

Comment

• janie
                • Aug 11, 2001

Congrat's! Always nice to hear that someone had good luck with their TH400.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

Working...
                X