• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glake
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 04, 2015

1964 Swiggity-Swaggon

When I brought home this 1964 Wagoneer, my daughter called it the Swiggity-Swaggon. Don't know why, she's a goof.

The plan is to give her a total overhaul. She won't be 100% original, but I plan to keep her looking as close to the way she is now - just better. I love the lines and especially the grill and dash.

I've got a fresh SBC 350 TBI to go in. I'll be getting a 700R4 attached to the original Dana 20 (depending on the case condition). I plan to remove the older model Dana 44 from the rear and the 27 from the front and find a set of newer generation 44's. She already has a Rancho lift that I'll keep with 30" or 31" tires.

I look to be the 5th owner. She came with the original pink slip and 4 bills of sale. The original owner kept her until 87, owner 2 sold it in 90, 3 in 2013, and finally owner 4 sold her to me in 2015. It was amazing that all that paperwork was kept, but it sure made getting a new title from AAA a breeze!

Somewhere along the way, I'm guessing owner 3, a small block was installed. The install was a real hack job. I'm finding all kinds of crazy stuff. Here are a few of my favorites:

I had a 4 day weekend this weekend and was able to get started on some of the dismantle. I post some updates tonight after I do some more today.

I need a few emblems if anyone has a source:
    Front fender 'Jeep' emblems . The should be the ones that just say Jeep with a large J. Both are missing
    Passenger side fender '4 Wheel Drive' emblem
    Tailgate 'Wagoneer" emblem
  • Mike D
    350 Buick
    • Jul 29, 2002

Does it have the aluminium vin number in the engine compartment ?
    64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
    50 truck
    63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
    And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• glake
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 04, 2015

Originally posted by Mike D
      Does it have the aluminium vin number in the engine compartment ?
      Door frame, 1414013182
      Last edited by glake; 02-17-2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• glake
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 04, 2015

Spent the last couple of days taking the front apart and getting the motor/trans out. Can't believe the number of bolts holding the whole front together.

Found that a rat had made itself a nice nest in the heater box. Turns out he was a patriotic rodent as there was an American flag in there with him!

Found the floor to be toast after I removed the lousy patch job done by a PO. In the end it was actually helpful because I ended up cutting a lot of it out and pulling the transmission and transfer case out through the door rather than laying underneath.

Once I got the motor out, I found out it's a 283 from a 57 Corvette. That should make some Corvette restorer happy.

The transfer case looks solid from the outside. I'll get it drained, cleaned up, and have a look inside over the next few weeks.

Comment

• Mike D
          350 Buick
          • Jul 29, 2002

HA !!!!!

That's funny .... 283's were not just in corvettes ... some other passenger 2 doors used the 283 ...

How do i know you ask .... ?

I have a 1950 283 in my 63/64 .... took me some time to find the block numbers to verify what the friken motor was ( pulled from my 1950 willys truck)

couse i rebuilt it with ported / milled 305 heads....
          64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
          50 truck

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
          And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

• glake
            230 Tornado
            • Jan 04, 2015

HA !!!!!

That's funny .... 283's were not just in corvettes ... some other passenger 2 doors used the 283 ...

How do i know you ask .... ?

I have a 1950 283 in my 63/64 .... took me some time to find the block numbers to verify what the friken motor was ( pulled from my 1950 willys truck)

couse i rebuilt it with ported / milled 305 heads....
            You are correct. On my initial look the numbers indicated a 57 built at the Flint plant, which is where vette engines were built. After a bit of scrapping I found the FC code which indicates a car, not vette. Still kinda cool.

Comment

• Ced
              232 I6
              • Jul 03, 2007

Wouldn't it be a 1963 with Willys still on the tag rather than Kaiser Jeep. Also the rain gutter stops at the D pillar. My 63 was like that.
              1989 Grand Wagoneer
              1985 CJ-10A
              1968 M725 - project

Comment

• mud89
                304 AMC
                • Nov 18, 2009

You are right , this one was built in february 63.
                Maybe it was titled in 64
                J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Mike D
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 29, 2002

Originally posted by mud89
                  how do you know when it was built?
                  64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                  50 truck

Addendum:

Comment

• glake
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jan 04, 2015

Originally posted by mud89
                    It came with the original pink slip that said 64, so that's what I figured was the year. I did some reading on this site and others around the interwebs and read something about When Kaiser took over from Willys they kept using the Willys plates for a while, so I figured that was the case here. If it's really a 63, great, the older the better in my book! I'm done with new cars and going back to simpler, better vehicles.

DMV was a lot different back then. Maybe it was a 63, sold in 64, so that 's how they registered it?

Comment

• Mike D
                      350 Buick
                      • Jul 29, 2002

I would tend to agree .... i thought my wagoneer is a 63 .... or its a 64 ....
                      64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                      50 truck

Addendum:

Comment

• mud89
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 18, 2009

how do you know when it was built?
                        Tonka posted a sheet with some production figures (SN) a few years ago, i think he has actually several sheets, same for a few forum members. I have also some jeep litterature on my side
                        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• mud89
                          304 AMC
                          • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by glake
                          DMV was a lot different back then. Maybe it was a 63, sold in 64, so that 's how they registered it?
                          yep that's what joe says

Comment

• babywag
                            out of order
                            • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by glake
                            I need a few emblems if anyone has a source:
                            Front fender 'Jeep' emblems . The should be the ones that just say Jeep with a large J. Both are missing
                            Passenger side fender '4 Wheel Drive' emblem
                            Tailgate 'Wagoneer" emblem
                            I still have all the emblems from my '65. Even have a pair of the d-pillar rear wings as well.
                            Tony
                            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                            X