• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

Combining old style main leafs with newer spring packs

Here's the idea..

I know a HC spring kit would be the best way to go, but can't afford that yet.

Is it feasible to do this:

take the main leaf with eyes from an older spring pack (ie, from the 65 J200 or 68 J3000).

remove the main leaf from a set of newer springs. I know the lengths may be slightly different, but would it matter? Use the packs under the older skinnier mains.

Now this leaves you with a fat spring pack under a skinny main, I know. Taking the later style ubolt pad and turning it sideways, it leaves about oh..1/8th to maaybe 1/4" on each side. Now..obviously you couldnt weld spacers on that, but you could grind down a channel for the skinny mainleaf to sit in.

Will this work? I havent measure anything, just one of those 'squattin down and staring at it for a bit' ideas..
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

No, you do not want to mix/match spring widths. That would be a bad thing. You're going to end up putting all the strain on that one main leave because it's smaller. I talked with a guy at Alcan when I built my rear springs this summer...he said it was cool to mix/match leaves but to keep them as close as possible in size (width/height) or you put undo stress on the smaller ones.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

Working...
    X