Well I guess we are not behind on snow pack anymore. I enjoy snow, plowing digging, clearing every year. But there is always a point where I am ready for it to stop and get warm. I believe I am there.
Last August we had a metal roof put on. To many leaks and I found all our roof trusses were cracked in the same spot at the eves. Plus fire protection. All the snow comes off the roof at speed. I have to show this picture as this is our view now. I have dug out the house to see out twice now. So if anyone wants any snow come and get it. I wonder if Frank needs any? Ha.
Not everybody keeps a kaiser hubcap in their living room.
Alright so the real reason for this post. I had hoped yet again to be all done with the dash. But getting the glove box door mounted revealed a big difference in flatness of the supposed to be satin black paint. I scuffed it today and shot another coat of paint on it only to find where all the dust specs were in my shop. On the glove box door. So I will scuff it again and super clean the mini booth and try again. That is the very last detail.
So along the way I was not able to get the gang plug on the instrument cluster as both the pins, plug, and terminals were in terrible shape. Enter partsdude4x4dotcom... He has made a new circuit board and somehow managed to find the gang plug. You can get it loaded with wires or empty. I bought the loaded one. Here it is, board and plug.
For once an aftermarket part is made better than OEM. The pins have a stout swedge on the backside making them resistant to getting loose.
The plug slides on very smoothly.
Now there were two problems that were not to big of a deal. But they were there and care needs to be used mounting the board. The lower retaining clips holes were a shade off. Once the screw was started it seemed to go together without to much preloading.
And a slight interference fit on the gang plug cut out. You can see it on the upper portion. A little pressure and it slid on. I suppose I could have filed it, but I was eager to get this done. Look at the nice front side swedge on the pins. Very resistant to loosening up later.
All mounted and ready to go.. By the way. I have a plentiful supply or early column shift indicators now. PM if you need one.
I cut the 1 foot wires off about half way. The existing plug is really hard to get plugged in to the circuit board as your hand does not fit well behind the cluster. Here is original and uncut.
My prepared pigtail with epoxy heat shrink terminals. I preshrunk the crimped ends before doing one wire at a time to keep from making a mistake. The included instructions were great but I just did one wire at a time.
This made much needed extra length. I was not able to plug this in without rubbing anything and scratching paint. Now there is plenty to work with. All the wires are the correct color.
I pretested each 194 light bulb and made sure they worked. Then bent up the contacts for a snug fit. Only the left turn signal bulb needed some twisting to make contact. Absolutely everything works! This is done and I snapped the cluster in all the way with a grin.
So the plastic glove box I found does not fit very well. It needs to be 1/2 longer to really fit right. But I made it work. I needed a micro switch for the glove box door clock so it could be shut off while not being driven. Save the battery. Here is a switch with bullet connectors in case it needs to be replaced.
And the switch is up high just inside the the glove box door.
All I am waiting on is a decent paint job on the glove box door. I have a couple meetings tomorrow and I hope to get paint reapplied tomorrow evening or Thursday. Then on it goes. I have a new "Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4x4" decal and a new correct tire pressure decal to put on. THAT is going to be cool! I have some extra cool very rare items to also show. But that is a surprise. It took me literally years to find them. I am all giddy.
Now where is my snow shovel.