International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM
327 Rambler

seatbelt work = fantastic..... no surprise.

2 odd facts about vehicle seat belt material and vehicle carpet:

my mother and dad met at an allied chemical plant in hopewell virginia
where they worked in the mid to late 60's

one of the things they made was seatbelt material.

I bet it was used in a lot of U.S cars/trucks.

the carpet in a 1979 trans am I restored had a tag from the manufacturer
of the carpet,.....J.P. Stevens co.

where I believe the true story and movie of "norma rae" was written about.
portrayed by sally field....who we know has connections with car movies we like

dave in nc
2004 RUBICON jeep
Benson, NC
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I think I could probably rebuild your existing belts. I do have a few but didn't want to part with to many. Some are no good. I still need to find good ones in my stash for my X model. I will send you a PM with some thoughts.

No offense intended to you or anyone else, but I would not recommend you rebuild seatbelts for others. The liability is just too great. There are professional places that will rebuild and/or re-web seatbelts. Let them take on the responsibility.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouring442
No offense intended to you or anyone else, but I would not recommend you rebuild seatbelts for others. The liability is just too great. There are professional places that will rebuild and/or re-web seatbelts. Let them take on the responsibility.

I agree completely. That was the first thing on my mind. So I won't be doing that for that very reason and my seemingly big issue of not having enough time. At least till Sadie is done. For the other projects that is.
I did get him set up with a spare (untouched) belt and some decals so he could rebuild his own. That is the best thing.

The companies that do belts are crazy expensive. Unreasonably so... But I get it and honestly, thanks for the very sound advice.

Dave that is a great story about your parents. That name is printed on the belts here. I wonder if they handled them back then?

I got up at 3:30 am to plow snow yet again. We got 25 inches in two days. We already had 18 or 20 on the ground. It is up to my waist. I just got done digging out our windows. The sluff off the roof went 6 plus feet high and blocked our view out. Crazy ... We are no longer shy of snow this year.
I don't get much done in the shop when this happens. I am pretty beat and need a nap. I am hoping tomorrow I can get some shop time in.

And last Friday I flew to Seattle to hang out with Bill and family. I hated to leave. I drove back Sunday in a blizzard after picking up his nephews 2001 cummins 24 valve dodge 3500. Finally a real tow rig.
I now have a tow rig to haul sadie home to that madhouse called Seattle.

Most users ever online was 656, 06-30-2007 at 09:50 PM.
I was there! Still waiting for my Tee shirt...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 and 71 project J trucks
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 02-13-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:37 PM
304 AMC

Well I guess we are not behind on snow pack anymore. I enjoy snow, plowing digging, clearing every year. But there is always a point where I am ready for it to stop and get warm. I believe I am there. Last August we had a metal roof put on. To many leaks and I found all our roof trusses were cracked in the same spot at the eves. Plus fire protection. All the snow comes off the roof at speed. I have to show this picture as this is our view now. I have dug out the house to see out twice now. So if anyone wants any snow come and get it. I wonder if Frank needs any? Ha.

Not everybody keeps a kaiser hubcap in their living room.

Alright so the real reason for this post. I had hoped yet again to be all done with the dash. But getting the glove box door mounted revealed a big difference in flatness of the supposed to be satin black paint. I scuffed it today and shot another coat of paint on it only to find where all the dust specs were in my shop. On the glove box door. So I will scuff it again and super clean the mini booth and try again. That is the very last detail.

So along the way I was not able to get the gang plug on the instrument cluster as both the pins, plug, and terminals were in terrible shape. Enter partsdude4x4dotcom... He has made a new circuit board and somehow managed to find the gang plug. You can get it loaded with wires or empty. I bought the loaded one. Here it is, board and plug.

For once an aftermarket part is made better than OEM. The pins have a stout swedge on the backside making them resistant to getting loose.

The plug slides on very smoothly.

Now there were two problems that were not to big of a deal. But they were there and care needs to be used mounting the board. The lower retaining clips holes were a shade off. Once the screw was started it seemed to go together without to much preloading.

And a slight interference fit on the gang plug cut out. You can see it on the upper portion. A little pressure and it slid on. I suppose I could have filed it, but I was eager to get this done. Look at the nice front side swedge on the pins. Very resistant to loosening up later.

All mounted and ready to go.. By the way. I have a plentiful supply or early column shift indicators now. PM if you need one.

I cut the 1 foot wires off about half way. The existing plug is really hard to get plugged in to the circuit board as your hand does not fit well behind the cluster. Here is original and uncut.

My prepared pigtail with epoxy heat shrink terminals. I preshrunk the crimped ends before doing one wire at a time to keep from making a mistake. The included instructions were great but I just did one wire at a time.

This made much needed extra length. I was not able to plug this in without rubbing anything and scratching paint. Now there is plenty to work with. All the wires are the correct color.

I pretested each 194 light bulb and made sure they worked. Then bent up the contacts for a snug fit. Only the left turn signal bulb needed some twisting to make contact. Absolutely everything works! This is done and I snapped the cluster in all the way with a grin.

So the plastic glove box I found does not fit very well. It needs to be 1/2 longer to really fit right. But I made it work. I needed a micro switch for the glove box door clock so it could be shut off while not being driven. Save the battery. Here is a switch with bullet connectors in case it needs to be replaced.

And the switch is up high just inside the the glove box door.

All I am waiting on is a decent paint job on the glove box door. I have a couple meetings tomorrow and I hope to get paint reapplied tomorrow evening or Thursday. Then on it goes. I have a new "Do not drive on hard surface roads in 4x4" decal and a new correct tire pressure decal to put on. THAT is going to be cool! I have some extra cool very rare items to also show. But that is a surprise. It took me literally years to find them. I am all giddy.

Now where is my snow shovel.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 02-19-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
327 Rambler

That some deep snow my friend. We have had just enough to make it miserable arou d here. That and COLD.

Started to assemble my dash and found the same problem with the plastic glove box. Did your box come from BJs?. Mind posting up some pics of the mount? I have forgotten after almost 3 years exactly how it goes in.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
350 Buick

I installed BJ's cardboard glovebox. Installation was not so easy. Can't imagine wrestling the plastic glovebox into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
That some deep snow my friend. We have had just enough to make it miserable arou d here. That and COLD.

Started to assemble my dash and found the same problem with the plastic glove box. Did your box come from BJs?. Mind posting up some pics of the mount? I have forgotten after almost 3 years exactly how it goes in.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
I installed BJ's cardboard glovebox. Installation was not so easy. Can't imagine wrestling the plastic glovebox into place.

I got the BJ's plastic box and it still isnt quite right. I would really like to see them provide an installation video of the exact product they ship. If they'd tried to install mine, I think they would agree that it was not made for my truck... I may actually try to 3d print one. I could probably do a better job getting the dimensions correct at any rate... it wouldn't be flexible like theirs is, hit it also wouldn't need to be...

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
304 AMC

You guys are right on the money. Honestly I can't remember where I bought it. I bought dozens of parts and stock piled them till I needed them. This being the plastic insert, it definitely needs improvement. I fed it up near the speaker pushing and bending the plastic lower flange to snap above the dash metal. As it went in I gently forced the plastic past all the metal parts that were in the way eventually getting it horizontal and able to slide in place. I had to push the front plastic ear behind the dash metal. I marked everything with a silver sharpie and removed it for punching with a metal punch. What a tug O war.

The plastic insert is to narrow width wise by maybe 1/2 or 5/8ths. The sides are forced open to slip past the screw holes. Plus the box is to tall as the top is about a half inch above the upper metal frame of the dash. I did not attach them up top.

In my opinion aftermarket parts all to often fall short. The final details and adjustments are ignored and good enough is good enough. When I make something I toil over it for a long time with every attempt to make it the best fit that I am capable of. I also test every part I make. So poor fitting parts are a big let down. Omix-ada is really bad at this. Crown used to be a great company, but some of the stuff I have gotten lately does not even fit (dana 20 X-fer case rebuild kit) Old NOS stuff on ebay is the way to go. I have a saying about china products. "It looks like a pen, but it does not write"

Bill, Patient owner of Sadie made a plastic cardboard folded insert replica years ago that fit perfect. I have it on the shelf and I did not use it because it is white and dirty. But it fit well. I will have to take a picture of it today.

11 degrees.... A regular heat wave.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
304 AMC

I just went and snapped these pictures. Bill will be proud to see his handy work from years ago. Probably before the internet.

A beautiful but dirty reproduction.

Taped together.

Great upper corners.

I had considered keeping this for a pattern. On the list for the future.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
230 Tornado

Good Progress

Looking good. I bought a voltage regulator from Parts Dude.
My cluster is working great.Expensive little part but well worth it.
I can't remember where but i bought a new cardboard glove box for my 65 Glad
It was a struggle to get it in but everything lined up well.
Have you any news on door mounted weatherstripping yet.???
Cheers W

Email sent!!!

Last edited by Stumplake : Yesterday at 12:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
258 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I just went and snapped these pictures. Bill will be proud to see his handy work from years ago. Probably before the internet.

A beautiful but dirty reproduction.

Taped together.

Great upper corners.

I had considered keeping this for a pattern. On the list for the future.

Al, if you can flatten that out and scan it, I can probably make a 3d rendering that would go a long way to be able to easily (relative term, right?) manufacture a properly fitting ABS part

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
350 Buick

I was thinking similarly but low tech.

Flatten it out and trace it onto 1/16" ABS. Heat gun to make the bends.

Pop-rivet it once it's in place.

I'd ask for a tracing of it but it wouldn't work for my dash.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM
230 Tornado

Glove Box

Just looked back at my receipts. I did buy the cardboard glove box at BJ's
I's a super tight fit but it's in and looks really good . Took me 3-4 beers I think.
W
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63J200atLSU
Al, if you can flatten that out and scan it, I can probably make a 3d rendering that would go a long way to be able to easily (relative term, right?) manufacture a properly fitting ABS part

Greg, I don't have a scanner that is big enough. I am sort of like SJTD as tracing it out would be the first thing I would attempt. Could I trace it onto brown kraft paper and send it to you?

I will say that I am really eager to send Sadie home. There are so many things I want to make it's nuts... I don't feel like I can devote time to R+D to get the several ideas nailed. Not with Sadie so darn close to being done. I will have to devote time for door panels and I am working on it. Same with the door sill plates. I am just having an issue with the longer ones on the front doors.
Let me know if a tracing would work for you. Bill would be happy to know his old crusty glove box is getting the eye.

I have Sadies old metal dash mounted for recovering dash pads. It seems like it is ready to use for testing custom bent ABS glove boxes. I will research where to get it. And or, Possibly kydex like you would use for a holster? Not that I have ever made a holster....

Stumplake, I got your email. And a reply has been sent. Thank you.

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumplake
Just looked back at my receipts. I did buy the cardboard glove box at BJ's
I's a super tight fit but it's in and looks really good . Took me 3-4 beers I think.
W

Well that is cool. At least they are getting made and fit for the most part.
It takes some of the need to get them made right away. 3-4 beers sounds about right. Man, a cold beer sounds good. It has been 12 years no alcohol for me. I tried hard to explode my liver and came close, but made it through.
It still sounds good though.

Thanks for letting the masses know on the glove box.

I just had a thought.... Uh Oh.... On the cardboard glove box. Could you not seal it and strengthen it with minwax wood hardener? I plan on using it on door panels to seal them. That stuff is amazing.

Anyway...

1969 1414X Wag,
1970 Wagoneer Not Sadie
1953 Willy's wagon
1983 FJ60 wagon