• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

Manifold vacuum?

I had a mechanic do some head work and when I get it back he installed this where my brake booster previously went. It doesnt have any vacuum to it? I thought this port had a lot of pressure. He also didn’t install the metal intake pan gasket, and said it was t necessary. Could that be why there isn’t any vacuum there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs
  • gpcl16
    232 I6
    • Apr 02, 2016

Is that an edelbrock intake manifold? Hard to tell without zooming out on the photo to get some context but that looks like it could be the PCV valve? There would be no vacuum coming out of the port, it leads to the crankcase (valley pan). You would want manifold vacuum running to the valve. I would not install an intake without the metal shield. As I understand it, it prevents oil from the lifters/pushrods from splashing up on the underside of the intake and burning up and caking. I installed an edelbrock intake several years back. I had to source a rubber grommet like that and use a different PCV valve (I believe it was from a chevy 350).
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    4" BDS Suspension Lift
    Tru-Trac Rear
    Howell GM TBI with Custom Tune

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by gpcl16
      Is that an edelbrock intake manifold? Hard to tell without zooming out on the photo to get some context but that looks like it could be the PCV valve? There would be no vacuum coming out of the port, it leads to the crankcase (valley pan). You would want manifold vacuum running to the valve. I would not install an intake without the metal shield. As I understand it, it prevents oil from the lifters/pushrods from splashing up on the underside of the intake and burning up and caking. I installed an edelbrock intake several years back. I had to source a rubber grommet like that and use a different PCV valve (I believe it was from a chevy 350).
      Yes its an edlebrock perormer intake manifold. Yes it has a metal valve in it. And he put a 1/4 hose about 7inches on it. I assumed it was meant to be plugged into my canister system for vacuum. I blocked it off and ran a splitter to my fuel regulator overflow hose connected to the throttle body for vacuum and that seems to work good. Should I unplug the PCV valve and run a hose somewhere? I don’t know what to do with it. I thought it should have a lot of vacuum. I didnt know.

He didn’t install the metal gasket. Said I didn’t need it and he installed a fel pro I think and gave the metal one back to me.
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by ShagWagon
        Yes its an edlebrock perormer intake manifold. Yes it has a metal valve in it. And he put a 1/4 hose about 7inches on it. I assumed it was meant to be plugged into my canister system for vacuum. I blocked it off and ran a splitter to my fuel regulator overflow hose connected to the throttle body for vacuum and that seems to work good. Should I unplug the PCV valve and run a hose somewhere? I don’t know what to do with it. I thought it should have a lot of vacuum. I didnt know.

He didn’t install the metal gasket. Said I didn’t need it and he installed a fel pro I think and gave the metal one back to me.
        Really?! You may need a new mechanic. You do need that valley pan. The Fel Pro kit is the metal pan and 2 end pieces. You can run without the end peices but you should have the metal pan. I have a feeling he gooped gasket maker in there instead of using the pan. The valley pan does more than just seal the intake to the heads...

That IS definitely your PCV valve but I don't think it is the right one for an 87. As long as that top nipple is connected to manifold vacuum it should work OK as you have it but you will probably want to replace it with an earlier model PCV (they are straight through) unless you have a carbon canister. If you look here at the 84-84 diagram you can see how that type of valve "should" be hooked up.

I also think it is best to have your brake booster connected to it's own, dedicated manifold vacuum nipple (I assume you already have that). Most of your vacuum system should be mostly stock, even with an Edelbrock intake and 4bbl carb. The only reason to change your vacuum system is if you get rid of stuff.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ShagWagon
          350 Buick
          • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
          Really?! You may need a new mechanic. You do need that valley pan. The Fel Pro kit is the metal pan and 2 end pieces. You can run without the end peices but you should have the metal pan. I have a feeling he gooped gasket maker in there instead of using the pan. The valley pan does more than just seal the intake to the heads...

That IS definitely your PCV valve but I don't think it is the right one for an 87. As long as that top nipple is connected to manifold vacuum it should work OK as you have it but you will probably want to replace it with an earlier model PCV (they are straight through) unless you have a carbon canister. If you look here at the 84-84 diagram you can see how that type of valve "should" be hooked up.

I also think it is best to have your brake booster connected to it's own, dedicated manifold vacuum nipple (I assume you already have that). Most of your vacuum system should be mostly stock, even with an Edelbrock intake and 4bbl carb. The only reason to change your vacuum system is if you get rid of stuff.
          Yes he was a new mechanic I tried. Runs a machine shop too. He gave it back to me and Ive had to do several hours to get all the Spark plug wires re routed away from data lines and insulated. He plugged off my canister system and never ran a line to it so my heater actuator didnt work, or cruise,4wd etc.... Broke the wire to the noise canceller and I had to resolder the wire back on, broke my fuel pressure gauge, left off a spark plug wire and left 2 others not snapped on.. and probably a few other half assed sloppy, no pride in your work stuff at a premium price.

I plugged the brake booster into a port on the fitech.

I think there is maybe a vacuum port on the front of the manifold. ill check tomorrow and run the pcv to it if it sucks and thats where it supposed to go.

Thanks

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

he used fiber gaskets instead of the pan. you might pull some oil thru the PVC without the pan,you may not.

there is a baffle that comes off the stock intake and gets put on the new intake,that one you really do need.

i prefer the pan but the gaskets work fine too.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• ShagWagon
              350 Buick
              • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by Ristow
              he used fiber gaskets instead of the pan. you might pull some oil thru the PVC without the pan,you may not.

there is a baffle that comes off the stock intake and gets put on the new intake,that one you really do need.

i prefer the pan but the gaskets work fine too.
              Thanks for the wisdom! I was worried I would have to re install it with the pan. I think what I bet happened was he didnt know what to do with the oil modification. I had to take some tin snips and cut it to fit the 6 inch tube when I installed it the first time. Maybe he wasnt feeling so ambitious. I didnt ask. Dont want to ever talk to him again lol.

I ran a hose from the pcv valve to a dual vacuum port on the frontside of the manifold. I was confused because I always thought pcv valves are on valve covers.

I think I got this right. Running good.

Comment

Working...
              X