• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thomas792
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 16, 2007

Salvage Yard Woes

I had a mixed success day at the salvage yard today. I went there looking for the following pieces:
    Front license plate holder
    Rear seat latching pieces (had to cut one of mine off because the dang torx bit shattered and the tork bolt shed all its teeth)
    Tailgate alignment bumpers (little rubber pieces that are cone shaped that help align the tailgate with the body)
    A/C vents
    Vent windows with gaskets
    Front and rear, driver and passenger window frames

First salvage yard had not Grand Wagoneers although the internet said they did. I talked with one of the workers and he said they had one on the lot - I couldn't find it even though most days I seem to have have a "sixth sense" for them. After trying to get the front license plate holder off of about 6 different XJ's I finally found one that did not have rusted bolts. When I got the plate holder off, it was all cracked. I finally found one on a Grand Cherokee - it wasn't the same as the majority of the Grand Cherokees that bolt through the front, It was on the bottom of the bumper and the bumper had the square inserts just like my Grand Wagoneer.

I headed off to the other yard (same company 30 miles away). Freeway ride was good but there was a vibration that came on around 60 mph and went away around 75 mph. I kept it steady at 65 and didn't seem to have a problem as I just turned the radio up.

At the second yard I found two Grand Wagoneers. First one appears to have been sent to the yard because of emissions (paperwork in the back and all the readings were off the chart, literally.) Pulled one of the rear seat latching pieces but the other one must have been related to the one on my vehicle. The Torx bolt looked more like an allen head as no teeth remained. When I got the one out I was shaking because it was in there good.

Same scene at the second Grand Wagoneer. One of the rear seat latching pieces as stuck hard with a bad bolt but the other came off fairly easily. Now I have three of the large spindle pieces and I need good bolts. The A/C system was on the floor so I pulled the three vents with a screwdriver. It also had good locks in the doors with KEYS that worked.

The wiring was all hacked on both GWs so I couldn't get the tailgate down to get the tailgate alignment bumpers. I may go back soon and bust the window out with yard permission.

I tried to pull the vent windows but couldn't really persuade them to come out. I undid all the bolts but they really wouldn't budge. I also tried to pull the window frame. I have some diagrams that show three bolts in the back and one in the front. I pulled out the bolts but I could not get the front of the window frame to budge although the back was loose. I realized that they had a small weld holding them into the door so I used my screwdriver and hammer to break the weld.

Altogether a pretty positive day but I really want those window frames because mine are rusted due to the window shades that were previously installed.

Anyone know how to get them out??
    1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
    Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)
  • serehill
    Gone,Never Forgotten.
    • Nov 22, 2009

hmm

All the ones I've ever seen were riveted on the front where the top hinge is mounted.

80 Cherokee
    360 ci 727 with
    Comp cams 270 h
    NP208
    Edlebrock performer intake
    Holley 4180
    Msd total multi spark.
    4" rusty's springs
    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• austinaubinoe
      360 AMC
      • Aug 08, 2010

Originally posted by Thomas792

one appears to have been sent to the yard because of emissions (paperwork in the back and all the readings were off the chart, literally.)

I may go back soon and bust the window out with yard permission.

-Why not just attach a battery to it directly?

Are you talking about Brandywine auto parts?
      Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
      5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
      SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
      -1994 Baby Grand
      -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
      -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
      -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
      i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
      i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• Thomas792
        327 Rambler
        • Sep 16, 2007

I was talking about Widewater Auto Parts. They have one location in Widewater, VA and one in Fredericksburg, VA.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          304 AMC
          • Apr 09, 2000

I made the trek down to Nashville only to discover they had scrapped the vehicle the day before
          NathanielButts
          IFSJA Member #18
          RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
          MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
          TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

to remove the vent window, you need to pull out the main window, so for newer fsj, the motor has to come out, the track the glass stays at the bottom.... then you can slide the vent window after removing the screws on the door frame (A pillar) of the door, and the one or two nuts on the door skin.

To remove the window from the track a small ratchet socket is a good tool, and IIRC it is metric.

As for rusted nuts.... PB blaster, or the 50/50 mix acetone/trany fluid.

The impact driver is your friend too.
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Thomas792
              327 Rambler
              • Sep 16, 2007

Definately picking up an impact driver. PB Blaster would have helped if there were enough Torx splines to hold onto the socket. I soaked my bolts with PB Blaster for three days a couple times a day and it was still frozen.

I think I'm going to try to work a deal on the front doors and take the whole things. How much do they weigh each? These doors are basically gutted but they could still be fairly formidible.

Comment

• Brizio
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Apr 11, 2008

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                I made the trek down to Nashville only to discover they had scrapped the vehicle the day before

One time I went to the you pull it, because on the website they had listed a '85 Wagoneer. So went there and found a Wagoneer but XJ...
                brizios.com
                Small Scale Jeeps
                Brizios

Comment

Working...
                X