• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EEKAJEEP!
    232 I6
    • Jul 13, 2006

Stumbling and Dies

Hey all.

My 88 J10 (360/2BLL/da huge grey stock dizzy cap...sorry ITMO a migraine so I forgot what kind of dizzy it is)recently developed problems staying running. I'll give you a short low down. I let my neice make a few run up to the store about 2 miles to get parts for her brake job. After the third trip I get a phone call saying the truck cut off and would not start, so it must be out of gas. I thought nothing of it, since The fuel gauge hasn't been registering right lately,and I kept a can in the back just in case.

She fills it,and puts a few dollars more in at the gas station and has no problem. Cranks up fine and gets home. She tells me that the low fuel light was not on at all...which is the only time the gauge was ever accurate since it stop registering full when you topped it off. SO she wasn't really out of gas.

So, the next day I crank it up let it run for 10 minutes before I head to work. I put it in reverse and give it gas, and she dies. I am like WADDAFUDGE. I crank it up again, and get down to the corner 1/4 mile down the road and making the turn she hesistates and dies. Work is 8 miles away, and after that no more troubles.

After work, (8 hours later) I crank it up and she runs...put it in gear, give gas, and she dies. I crank it again....she dies. Crank it and she makes it 100yds to the stop sign, as I make the turn without stopping for the sign, she dies. I crank it up, and rev the gas, she turns over and I put her in drive, she ran like she was choking on the gas ( i think I gave quite a bit), tried to backfire , but didn't, and stumbling quite a bit. After a few minutes she seemed back to normal excepted when I came to a stop, and tried to accelerate. She would hesistate. To compensate for that I would leave my foot on the gas to keep her from cutting off. She did fine wide open, not a problem not a stumble. Cruising down the hwy was ok.

Could it be a bad choke? From your experiences where should I look. I am not uneducated when comes to repairs, but I have had my doozies with jeeps. I am not by any means a master mechanic.

Jeeps seem to go awry at a moments notice.

Thanks!

Geno
    Last edited by EEKAJEEP!; 02-12-2009, 09:43 PM.
  • aatcman
    258 I6
    • Apr 10, 2006

Sounds like either a stuck / sunk float OR a bad fuel pump or fuel filter to me.

hope this helps
    Just my 2 Cents (Good grief!! Even my weedeater laughs at me now!! Silly gas prices!)

1986 Grand Wagoneer (225xxx)

1988 Comanche Pioneer (215xxx)

Comment

• ironroad29
      360 AMC
      • Nov 12, 2000

to get it to start do you have to hold the pedal all the way down like its flooded?
      Looking for a j truck in VA.
      1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
      2004 crown vic LX sport
      1997 2 door Tahoe sport
      preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• fitron74
        232 I6
        • Aug 29, 2001

Stumbling eekajeep

If the problem is not in the fuel system then the engine computer module is probably the culprit. Been there.
        Dale Swaney<br />Warren, PA

Comment

• EEKAJEEP!
          232 I6
          • Jul 13, 2006

hmmmm

Originally posted by ironroad29
          to get it to start do you have to hold the pedal all the way down like its flooded?
          I did that night I wrote about previously.

Today, the POS fired up with a single pump of pedal ran fine...revved no problem....idled seems fine. FIne in reverse. Put it in drive and as soon as I hit the gas she hesitated like I had not hit the gas, and the second time i hit the gas she went on down the road. So everytime I leave from a stop pr slow down and reaccelerate she hesitates. So today she wasn't the bucky PITA she was the other night. Now, today's temp is 70. The Other night it was around 30. Don't know if that may matter.

Thanks for help.

Geno

Comment

• andy d
            Shade Tree Shaman
            • May 06, 2000

Sounds like it is fuel related, but just for grins check the coil wires connections. A frayed coil wire will do this too.
            \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

Working...
            X