• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason H. Rea
    232 I6
    • Apr 12, 2003

Where are the Full size D44s ???

I've been looking for a rear D44 for my jeep. It needs to be longer than 60, but less than 66 WMS.

I already have a front HP D44 out of a 79 Ford that measures 66 and looks like it's going to be a PITA to cut down, so I'm going to run it full size. But now I have to find a rear, and I want something around 63. I figure you Full Size Jeeps should have an idea which vehicles came stock with a D44 of this length.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jason
  • waggin'ear
    350 Buick
    • Apr 24, 2001

WT cherokee or J-truck

J10 D44

J20 D60 (30 spline)
    adam

Gotta a lot of junk

" I may not be good, but at least I'm slow"

Comment

A truck rear is going to be more like 68" or better. They are wider than the fronts. I would say check wide track cheros. Problem there is going to be that the only rear D44s from them are offset to the pass side a few inches. If you need a centered axle you could nab an AMC 20 from an '80-83 chero. That should be wide enough for you and will be centered. And if strength is a worry, it'll be just as strong as a D44.

Anthony
      1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Sambo
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Sep 25, 2001

narrow trac axles are 59"
        and wt chero axles are 63"
        you might try dodge ramchargers early years,like before 79/80 some had d44 rear instead of a chyco 8 3/4 or 9 1/4!!!!
        77 chero DEAD.
        84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Jason H. Rea
          232 I6
          • Apr 12, 2003

Originally posted by Sambo:

you might try dodge ramchargers early years,like before 79/80 some had d44 rear instead of a chyco 8 3/4 or 9 1/4!!!!
          Actually, I was looking over some of these at the local bone yard. I'm not the greatest at identifying axles on the vehicle. Can you give me some obvious differences between a D44 and the CHYCO axles.

Comment

A D44 will say "44" on the lower right webbing while looking at the diff cover.

Anthony
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Jason H. Rea
              232 I6
              • Apr 12, 2003

[quote]Originally posted by Jason H. Rea:
              Originally posted by Sambo:
              [qb]
              Can you give me some obvious differences between a D44 and the CHYCO axles.
              I think I have the answer. Diff cover Bolt count. They both look like stop signs, but the 44 has 10 bolts, whereas the CHYCO has 12. Thanks

Comment

• mountainlander
                258 I6
                • Feb 15, 2004

You also might consider a 9 inch out of a fullsize bronco. Should be around 65.
                Robert Fenton

Comment

• rockcandy
                  304 AMC
                  • Aug 20, 2003

Originally posted by Cecil14:
                  A truck rear is going to be more like 68" or better. They are wider than the fronts. I would say check wide track cheros. Problem there is going to be that the only rear D44s from them are offset to the pass side a few inches. If you need a centered axle you could nab an AMC 20 from an '80-83 chero. That should be wide enough for you and will be centered. And if strength is a worry, it'll be just as strong as a D44.

Anthony
                  hmmmm....I believe it is the other way around. The fronts on nearly every vehicle are wider than the rear
                  1979 waggy, one ton WT conversion going on...

1979 golden eagle buggy...living on through donations across the country

Comment

On everything else, yes. The J-trucks are funky though. Makes them REAL stable but makes for a real wide turning radius.

Anthony

Comment

• Jason H. Rea
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 12, 2003

Thanks, everybody, I finally found my Axle. It came off the rear of a 78 K5 Blazor, thanks to a distant cousin I have only met once before. D44 and came with 4.11 gears and a rear locker all for only a $100. It's on it's way home right now.

Thanks again for all the info. I'll edit this post later with proper measurements for future searches.

Comment

• scotty
                        • Jun 12, 2000

post a pic of the axle. unless someone swapped in somethin,the rear axle in a 78 k5 blazer will be a corp 12 bolt

not that you shouldnt run it. 12 bolt is not a bad axle,specially with 4.10s and a locker. only bad part is C clip axles,and thats not such a big deal if you convert it to discs [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        scotty
                        85 grand wagoneer
                        258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                        38" TSL SXs
                        chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• Jason H. Rea
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 12, 2003

Originally posted by scotty:
                          post a pic of the axle. unless someone swapped in somethin,the rear axle in a 78 k5 blazer will be a corp 12 bolt

not that you shouldnt run it. 12 bolt is not a bad axle,specially with 4.10s and a locker. only bad part is C clip axles,and thats not such a big deal if you convert it to discs [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          You know I was thinking that same thing, but he swears it's a 44. You might be right about it swapped under the K5 in the past, because aparently it had some work done on it, a few years back. Now it's just a parts truck. I'm still hoping it's a 44, because I Don't that I can get an electrac or 4.88 gears for a 12 bolt yet, and I don't like the idea of a C clip axle.

Comment

• scotty
                            • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by Jason H. Rea:
                            I don't like the idea of a C clip axle.
                            there was a time when i said the same thing,but the way a friend of mine converted his twelve bolt to discs,there is absolutely no way the shaft could come out if it broke.he put a front rotor on the rear of the axleshaft flange,and held it there with front wheel studs,so theres no way it could come out since the rotor is held on by the caliper.

i have recently heard of a guy whose pressed on bearing "walked" itself down the shaft on a bolt in axle(like the 44) so to me its almost 6 of one,half dozen of the other,the C clip vs bolt in axle.

[ May 04, 2004, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: scotty ]
                            scotty
                            85 grand wagoneer
                            258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                            38" TSL SXs
                            chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• cammobus
                              232 I6
                              • Mar 13, 2004

Jason - where ya @ i got an 87 GW fac tow pkg - i am looking to part out it has 44's F&B
                              No Matter Where You Go, There You Are ....

86 Stock 64,000 miles

83 Cherokee - 258 I6 Stock [for now]

Comment

Working...
                              X