• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brentwood
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2015

401 smoking issue

Hey guys, my 401 is smoking badly. It smokes a bit at idle and gets worse at higher rpm.
    It's not burning oil or coolant. It starts right up, idles well at 950 rpm, runs strong and sounds good.
    I readjusted air fuel mixture, made sure choke is opened all the way and double checked timing.
    Everything seems fine besides excessive smoke, which is primarily coming from right side of exhaust.

What do you guys suspect the problem is?
    1982 Wagoneer w/258, Rusty's 4in spring lift, motorcraft 2100, 32x11.5x15 bfg's *sold*

1972 J4000 Chevy 350, th350, divorced Dana 20, Holley carb, alcan 4in springs, 35in BFGs on 15in slots

1978 J10 golden eagle w/Levis interior, 401and th400, Edelbrock avs2, 32x11.5 falken rubitreks on stock golden eagle wheels
  • levelhead
    232 I6
    • Nov 04, 2016

A faulty modulator valve on your transmission can cause your 401 to suck trans fluid through the vacuum line to it into the intake manifold and burn it. Pinch off or plug the vacuum line temporally (your trans won't shift ) and see it that stops it. If so replace your modulator valve.
    1988 GW (2)
    1980 Cherokee Laredo
    1979 Wagoneer
    1976 J10 401
    1977 Wagoneer 401
    1977 J10 4 speed
    1969 J3000 (2)
    1955 CJ3B
    1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

This might sound strange but check for a valve cover gasket leak first. If a valve cover is leaking and a exhaust manifold is leaking, the exhaust manifold or header will draw oil in to it and of out the tail pipe in smoke.
      The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• Cliff
        350 Buick
        • Mar 30, 2002

I had a strange problem where my fuel tank vent line (the one that goes to the charcoal canister) had rusted closed, and on warm days the fuel was building pressure in the tank and pressurizing the fuel line to the carb and richening the mixture, and making tons of black smoke under acceleration. Since this is affecting one side more than the other I wouldn't suspect this, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.
        Cliff Danley
        1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• brentwood
          232 I6
          • Oct 01, 2015

Originally posted by levelhead
          A faulty modulator valve on your transmission can cause your 401 to suck trans fluid through the vacuum line to it into the intake manifold and burn it. Pinch off or plug the vacuum line temporally (your trans won't shift ) and see it that stops it. If so replace your modulator valve.
          Thanks, I'll check that next time I work on the truck.
          1982 Wagoneer w/258, Rusty's 4in spring lift, motorcraft 2100, 32x11.5x15 bfg's *sold*

1972 J4000 Chevy 350, th350, divorced Dana 20, Holley carb, alcan 4in springs, 35in BFGs on 15in slots

1978 J10 golden eagle w/Levis interior, 401and th400, Edelbrock avs2, 32x11.5 falken rubitreks on stock golden eagle wheels

Comment

• brentwood
            232 I6
            • Oct 01, 2015

Originally posted by SC/397
            This might sound strange but check for a valve cover gasket leak first. If a valve cover is leaking and a exhaust manifold is leaking, the exhaust manifold or header will draw oil in to it and of out the tail pipe in smoke.
            Not seeing a valve cover leak. Installed new gaskets a few months ago.
            This reminds me that I plugged exhaust manifold emissions ports back in the summer. The driver side went smoothly. On the passenger side, pieces of inner tube came out with stock bolts. Could this be my issue?

Comment

• brentwood
              232 I6
              • Oct 01, 2015

Originally posted by Cliff
              I had a strange problem where my fuel tank vent line (the one that goes to the charcoal canister) had rusted closed, and on warm days the fuel was building pressure in the tank and pressurizing the fuel line to the carb and richening the mixture, and making tons of black smoke under acceleration. Since this is affecting one side more than the other I wouldn't suspect this, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.
              Thanks for your reply. I have a fuel pressure regulator set to 5psi.

Comment

• jammer1
                232 I6
                • Jun 13, 2015

Could it be bad valve seals (letting oil into the cylinder). May be able to see it on the plugs.

Comment

• MysticRob
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by brentwood
                  ...It's not burning oil or coolant...Everything seems fine besides excessive smoke, which is primarily coming from right side of exhaust.
                  I don't see where you've described what the smoke smells like.

You said it's not burning oil or coolant, but how did you verify that?

You also stated it's coming from the "right side of exhaust". Do you mean it's emanating from inside the engine bay or the right side exhaust pipe (assuming you have dual exhaust)?

Hard to help troubleshoot when we're not right there with you, but first I'd ensure you've properly identified the type of smoke (maybe you have, it's just not clear in your posts thus far), then work on identifying where exactly the issue is coming from.
                  --Rob--
                  1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                  https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                  https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• brentwood
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 01, 2015

Originally posted by jammer1
                    Could it be bad valve seals (letting oil into the cylinder). May be able to see it on the plugs.
                    I'll check, thanks

Comment

• brentwood
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 01, 2015

Originally posted by MysticRob
                      I don't see where you've described what the smoke smells like.

You said it's not burning oil or coolant, but how did you verify that?

You also stated it's coming from the "right side of exhaust". Do you mean it's emanating from inside the engine bay or the right side exhaust pipe (assuming you have dual exhaust)?

Hard to help troubleshoot when we're not right there with you, but first I'd ensure you've properly identified the type of smoke (maybe you have, it's just not clear in your posts thus far), then work on identifying where exactly the issue is coming from.
                      My oil and coolant levels aren't noticeably dropping. Smoke doesn't smell like coolant.

Yes straight dual exhaust, no x or H pipe.

Drivers side has "normal" amount of exhaust smoke.
                      Passenger side has excessive smoke that gets worse as engine warms up and at higher rpms.
                      Smoke comes from passenger side tailpipe and back of engine bay/front of cab area on passenger.
                      It's not safe to drive, the fumes are getting into the cab.
                      I have to spend some time looking at it and I'll update the post if I find anything.

Comment

• MysticRob
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by brentwood
                        My oil and coolant levels aren't noticeably dropping. Smoke doesn't smell like coolant.

Yes straight dual exhaust, no x or H pipe.

Drivers side has "normal" amount of exhaust smoke.
                        Passenger side has excessive smoke that gets worse as engine warms up and at higher rpms.
                        Smoke comes from passenger side tailpipe and back of engine bay/front of cab area on passenger.
                        It's not safe to drive, the fumes are getting into the cab.
                        I have to spend some time looking at it and I'll update the post if I find anything.
                        That helps narrow it down. If not smelling of coolant, it also won't be carb related since the effect would be seen out both pipes, so it has to be something related to that passenger side.
                        Does it smell like unburned gas or oil? You didn't mention that either.

I'll assume oil since you didn't mentioned it misfiring from a bad plug or lack or spark on that side, so maybe the valve seals as jammer said, gummed up rings not sealing a cylinder properly, or something else along those lines.

I had gummed up rings on my high mileage Saturn 4-banger. I poured Seafoam into the crank to loosen all the sludge and deposits, ran that for quite a few miles, and that eliminated the problem for me. Hopefully your plugs give you more info.
                        --Rob--
                        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 15, 2010

Are you getting a lot of blow by out of the vents?, If your getting more smoke when warmed up I would look at valve guide seals, the umbrella type get hard and break off with age, viton seals are better but require machining of the head.

Comment

• brentwood
                            232 I6
                            • Oct 01, 2015

I tried seafoam in fuel and crankcase oil last week. Also used a bottle of the seafoam for carb/intake.
                            I ran it for a couple hours since. Can't drive it because it smokes too much.
                            The smoke is a light grey whitish color.
                            I pulled passenger side spark plugs... No oil on plugs but they did have a lot of soot/carbon on them.
                            I tried pinching off trans modulator line...made no difference.
                            Still no noticeable oil or coolant loss.
                            I really don't know what to do and can't afford an engine rebuild right now. I may just end up selling it.

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                              350 Buick
                              • Feb 09, 2014

Maybe not a question that makes sense , but how is the brake fluid level in reservoir?

Maybe doing a compression test also to rule out all possibilities!?
                              Last edited by Heep-J4000; 01-24-2021, 02:22 PM.
                              Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
                              73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
                              80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
                              70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
                              85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
                              83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

Working...
                              X