• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonygeorge
    232 I6
    • Apr 12, 2011

1989 Mustang ECU running my Wagoneer!

The wagoneer is finally fuel injected! This has been a work in progress for the last year and as of yesterday the carburator came off and the Fuel injection tunrned on. I am very happy with the results. You can check out my thread on the build if interested. Surprisingly it took little tuning (I use that phrase loosly i spent hours and hours learning about ford ECU's prior) to get it running. Don't ask about the glue stick plugging up the line coming off my idle air control valve. Now i will be fine tuning to get her really running! and next comes the CNG Conversion. **Edit: link to my build thread http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=148194

Last edited by jonygeorge; 06-25-2012, 07:39 PM.
    1988 Grand Wagoneer
    Ford 460 w 429 heads Performer cam and Shorty Headers. Ford Fuel Injection out of a mustang. Natrual Gas Kit.
    NV4500 Transmission NP205 Twin Stick T-case. Up and Running!
  • nc wagoneer
    350 Buick
    • May 08, 2012

Had to ask just cuz you said not to, why's the gluestick there?
    old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
    Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
    "BROWED AND PROUD"
    Originally posted by fulsizjeep
    Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• p@55w0rd
      232 I6
      • Mar 09, 2010

Has anyone asked why the gluestick is there yet?
      Project: 1979 Wagoneer 360, Turbo 400, Q-Track, and Dana 44's
      Lovingly refereed to as the "The Wagon"...
      Daily Driver: 2008 Jeep Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7L, Q-Trac II
      http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/jeepxk/DSC08388.jpg

Comment

• jaber
        Dragin Az
        • Oct 17, 2003

So what system are you using? What did it come off of? What did it take to adapt it to yours?
        Link to your build thread???

Details, we need details....
        Last edited by jaber; 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM.
        Jeff

'43 cj2a
        '51 Willys p/u
        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
        '68 Panel Delivery
        '74 CJ5
        '75 J-20 Wrecker
        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
        '77 J-10 p/u
        '79 Cherokee
        '88 Grand Wagoneer
        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• BGW
          350 Buick
          • Jan 02, 2009

He's running a 460 (awesome by itself) with EEC-IV electronics. The later 460s had fuel injection, so it's not too bad to switch that stuff over. I'm so jealous of a 460 powered Wag. I'm sure it's awesome.

Nice job!

*Edit: he didn't go the easy route, he had the intake machined for the injectors and he also has CNG capability. Awesome work!
          Last edited by BGW; 06-16-2012, 09:56 AM.
          1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• bigblock91

I too would love to have my 460 fuel injected.. hmm maybe I should find some motivation..

Comment

• lil jeep mec
              258 I6
              • May 23, 2012

here is his build thread!
              Starting this thread to document my wagoneer build. Started with a 1988 Grand wagoneer that i purchased in San Francisco CA for $1500.00 and drove back to Kaysville UT leaving an oil trail the whole way home. 4 gallons of oil later i made it home. The good thing about the purchase is the body is in great shape with no rust. I
              78 j10 4bbl 360 green on 35's
              360, t18, d20, d44's, 4.09's
              plan on...
              -SOA
              -37's in 2 or 3 years 40's-54's
              -not cutting the flares
              -get the 360 running
              -twin stick
              -OX lockers!

Comment

• jaber
                Dragin Az
                • Oct 17, 2003

Thanks for the link, I'm headed over to check it out.
                My DD is a '75 J-20 with a Caddy 425 BB running 454 TBI. Lack of an OD is kicking my but right now.
                Jeff

'43 cj2a
                '51 Willys p/u
                '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                '68 Panel Delivery
                '74 CJ5
                '75 J-20 Wrecker
                '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                '77 J-10 p/u
                '79 Cherokee
                '88 Grand Wagoneer
                '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• jonygeorge
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 12, 2011

The gluestick was there to plug up my IAC (idle air control valve) as it is not functioning properly and basicaly creating a huge vacume leak. I will reconnect it once i get a my tune "fine tuned". Also i will later post some updates on performance once i get things dialed in if anyone is interested. I should be able to get 500HP out of this setup. The engine runs a lot smoother already though and i am excited to get it really running great, i have been out of town the last week and unable to do anything. If anyone wants to do the same setup as i have done with the fuel injection send me a message and i can give you some good advice on where to find wirng diagrams and step by step instructions etc. If you have some spare time and are comfortable with soldering and learning, it really was not a difficult job and you could get the the parts for around 200.00 from ebay or a junk yard. Plan on spending anotherr 300.00 or so for the tuning module and software. If you don't already have an engine with fuel injector bungs you will spend more on that as well but if you have access to a skilled tig welder you could just about any intake to fuel injection by welding bungs in and making your own fuel rail. Also you would need provisions to run a (TFI) distributor on whatever engine you plan on using, other than that you could get any V-8 engine to run off of this type of setup regardless of the size or make. If you don't want to go with the tuning module you could opt to get a custom chip burned but by the time you were done with that and paid a dyno tuner you would probably be well over the 300.00. Personaly I enjoy learning how things work, and also like being able to maintain and change my setup myself as i make changes in the future without having to pay a professional.
                  Last edited by jonygeorge; 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM.
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer
                  Ford 460 w 429 heads Performer cam and Shorty Headers. Ford Fuel Injection out of a mustang. Natrual Gas Kit.
                  NV4500 Transmission NP205 Twin Stick T-case. Up and Running!

Comment

Working...
                  X