• IslanderOffRoad
    258 I6
    • Feb 04, 2006

This is driving me crazy... so far I've replaced:

Brake light switch
    Turn signal flasher
    Fuses

Turn signals work
    Hazards work, but blow a fuse on occasion.
    Brake lights, nothing.

I found a wire comming off the brake light switch going to the glove box of all places... looks like the glove box light is tied into this circuit? The bulb is missing there, could that be screwing up the brake circuit (AMC did some weird stuff)?

How far into the body are the rear light grounds? Looks like thats the next step.
    John V
    94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

06 Honda Accord SE 5spd- The Daily Ricer

Comment

• J10Joe
      304 AMC
      • Oct 06, 2005

this should be right for your jeep. grounds look like this:

_______
      ____
      _

there should be groounds coming off your rear maker lights, going to the frame. clean them up you can find them, make new ones if they're not there anymore
      1985 J-10 LWB
      258/727/NP208
      4" lift, TFI, MC 2100

1988 J20-one of the last ones
      8400 GVRW
      360/727/208
      TFI, Rustolium (brushed)
      Fisher/Meyers plow truck

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

the cruise box is under the passenger side dash,that is probably where the wire from the brake switch is going.

inspect the big flat connector for the wires going into the steering column,it will be clipped to the right side,down under the dash,on the side of the column,make sure all the connections are clean,tight,not burned,and check for broken wires there.

have you checked the turn signal switch yet?
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
          258 I6
          • Feb 04, 2006

turn signal switch or flasher?

i replaced the flasher this afternoon.
          John V
          94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by IslanderOffRoad
            turn signal switch or flasher?

i replaced the flasher this afternoon.
            the turn signal switch,in the steering column.the power to the brake lights is send through that switch,because,when you use the turn signals,that switch determines which light flashes (signal) and which light shines steady (brake light).if the turn signal is not engaged,both brake lights will shine.i had the same problem as you,had signals,hazards,tail,but no brakes.looked everywhere,finally traced power to the column,power was going in,but not coming out of the switch.i simply had to clean the switch assembly,my truck is a working project,a little rough so i just hosed it down with some solvent,while in the column,and shot some grease in there. if your truck is nice,remove the switch for cleaning and dielectric greasing,it's not that hard.try this,lean a piece of cardboard against the back of the truck on the drivers side,so you can see the tailights reflection on it.hold the brake pedal down,and firmly wiggle the turn signal stalk up an down,and fore and aft,see if they flicker.if not,clean the swith anyway,and move down the trouble shooting list.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
              258 I6
              • Feb 04, 2006

Thanks for the tip ristow, i'll have to try that.
              John V
              94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
                258 I6
                • Feb 04, 2006

BTT.

After studying wiring diagrams, it seems that my jeep does not run the brakes through the turn signal switch... that was only run up till 81. My brakes are independent of the turn signals.

Looks like its on to the grounds next.
                John V
                94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
                  258 I6
                  • Feb 04, 2006

I'm back again, with more confusion than ever!

Cleaned the grounds, no such luck.

I've got a Haynes manual, was reading it while looking at the wiring for the tail lamps while doing it. According to Haynes, the brake lights are a pink wire, which should have their own bulb. A white wire is the tail lights, which share a bulb with the turn signals (lt. green).

In actuality what I found is White and Pink going to a bulb together... and lt. green having its own bulb.

So, is haynes wrong or is my jeep's wiring screwed up and thats what is preventing the brake lights from working?

Thanks in advance
                  John V
                  94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
                    258 I6
                    • Feb 04, 2006

Got them working finally.

Combination of bad grounds and a brake switch put on too tight.
                    John V
                    94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Comment

• Retro93
                      Junk Collector
                      • Nov 02, 2001

Originally posted by Ristow
                      inspect the big flat connector for the wires going into the steering column,it will be clipped to the right side,down under the dash,on the side of the column,make sure all the connections are clean,tight,not burned,and check for broken wires there.
                      Yup...the power for the brake lights goes through there. Closely inspect all the connectors. My brake lights weren't working. I checked the connector and found that the brake light feed was broken where the wire went into plug. It was hard to see, but once I repaird it I had no addional problems.
                      79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by Retro93
                        Yup...the power for the brake lights goes through there. Closely inspect all the connectors. My brake lights weren't working. I checked the connector and found that the brake light feed was broken where the wire went into plug. It was hard to see, but once I repaird it I had no addional problems.
                        Starting in 82, the brake light wiring was no longer run through the Multi Function Switch.

Just want to prevent confusion for future searchers
                        John V
                        94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

Comment

Working...
                        X