• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Guilbeau
    304 AMC
    • Apr 17, 2002

Holley Fuel Injection ECU replacement options

I am looking to find a replacement for my Holley Analog Electronic Control Unit (ECU)that shipped with the 502-Series Analog Pro-Jection 670 CFM Throttle Body Injection that I put on my SJ in the mid-90's.

Came across a website that involves a Do-it-yourself (DIY) fuel injection controller that you put together yourself, called MegaSquirt.

For about a couple of hundred dollars, it seems that you can build an ECU that can be used to replace the Holley ECU.

Anyone out there heard any pro's or con's on this unit?
    Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper
  • gsmikie
    Auto Trannie God
    • Feb 18, 2001

what is the diff in control between it and the holly ?????
    I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• SpruceMoose
      350 Buick
      • Nov 01, 2000

i was under the impression that you could use the digital ecu in place of the analog one, provided you also install the manifold pressure sensor. give holley a shout, and let us all know what options there are.

sm.
      88 Grand Wagoneer<br />\"Spruce Moose\"<br /><br />See the Moose at:<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fsjworld.com/mygallery.asp?id=3294</a> <br /><br />AMC 360, DANA 44 F/R 2.72, TF 727, NP 229<br />Jacobs Pro-Street Ignition, Edelbrock 4bbl Intake with Holley 2bbl Analog Pro-Jection<br />Flowmaster 2.5\" 50 Series Delta muffler and tubing<br />K&N cone air filter, Amzoil fluids all around<br />31x10.5 BFG A/T KO<br />Rusty\'s 4\" lift<br />Home-made tube nerfs and bumpers<br />BJs Muscle grill<br />HF,VHF,UHF ham rigs and too many antennas (not)<br />8-Ball shift knob from college (1975)<br />Hella fog and driving lights<br />Kenwood MP3 HU, Orion sub amp, Jensens all around<br /><br />Mileage? We don\'t need no stinkin\' mileage!

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
        304 AMC
        • Apr 17, 2002

The MegaSquirt is a Motorola based microprocessor based on the 8-MHz Motorola 68HC908GP32 Flash-badsed microcontroller, and a Motorola MPX4250AP MAP sensor.

The open code is written in assembly language along with a free-ware compiler.

Since you build the ECU from schematics and purchase the components and/or the printed circuit board, you are in a much better position to troubleshoot and modify the system for your specific requirements.

The system uses commonly available GM sensors (MAP, coolant temp, manifold air temp, throttle position, oxygen, and tach trigger) and all schematics, software, components are listed for anyone to review.

The system uses pusle width modulation to pulse the injectors and control is via the MC68HC908GP32 and a lap top CPU with a serial port to interface to the pre-programmed processor.

Essentially you purchase the Printed Circuit Board (PCB), the MAP sensor and a Field Effect Transistor (FET) driver in a partial kit. The remaining parts are available from Digi-Key and you purchase them separately with the BOM. Then stuff and solder the PCB and mount in an LMB Heeger case to house the Electronic Control Unit.

Next would be the addition of the MAP sensor and the Oxyden sensor and wire into the system.

Then change out the control lines to the throttle body injectors and away you go.

There have supposedly been around 1000 of these kits purchased.

Holleys options are just as SpruceMoose indicated.

However, that is Holleys solution and they do not give out schematics, nor offer code to folks.

Holley has been less than open about some of the problems that have plauged the Analog units.

Besides, I am an Electronic Technician and am not afraid to get into the details, there is little chance that I cannot use everything that I currently have set up, and just add the MAP and Oxygen sensor and build the ECU from MegaSquirt to replace the Analog unit (which is archaic to say the least). Lots of knob turning to adapt to various situations, new after 10 years of use, I think that I have found a more tunable solution for a few hundred dollars.
        Joe Guilbeau<br />1983 Cherokee Laredo WT (SJ-17), 360/229/727/D44/D60 4.10 Gearing, 8-lug hubs, Edelbrock Performer w/EGR Intake, Mallory Unilite Series 47 Photo-Optic Infrared Trigger Vacuum Distributor, Mallory Surge Protector, Mallory Promaster Coil, Holley Pro-Jection TBI 502-Analog, FlowKooler High Output Water Pump, Staggered 4-Core Custom Industrial Radiator, HD Fan Clutch, Dual Electric Fans, CS130 Delco 105-Amp Alternator, Oil Bypass Mods at Rear of Block and Distributor Oiling, Superlift 4\" Suspension, Rancho RS5000\'s, Hi-Tech 31\" Re-Treads, Aero 33 Gal Tank w/Skid Plate, Custom Rear \"Longhorn\" Bumper

Comment

• Stolen76
          350 Buick
          • Dec 13, 2001

You can also go with TPIGUY's system. Most of the Holley system is GM stuff anyways and you'd just have a couple of things to add.
          76 Wag, 360, TH400, 3.55\'s<br />Q-Trac P/T, 16%OD, 2\" AAL<br />Uniroyal LT265/75-16\'s on 16x7\'s

Comment

• Joe Guilbeau
            304 AMC
            • Apr 17, 2002

Originally posted by Stolen76:
            You can also go with TPIGUY's system. Most of the Holley system is GM stuff anyways and you'd just have a couple of things to add.
            I hear you, with all of GM's R&D Budjet pouring into the design, that is probably by far the best engineered solution that is easily converted.

I sent an e-mil out to tpiguy, about a electronic fuel pump, but havn't heard back as of yet.

I suppose that I just like to tinker...

Comment

• Dive 30
              350 Buick
              • Aug 31, 2001

The Holley ECU is rumored to be based on the GM 747 ECU, I haven't seen one, but am told that the harness connectors are the same. Thus, you could get a 747 ECU and re-program it or buy the Howell ECU that is designed for AMC 360s.

Phil
              "Hooper Drives the Boat, Chief!" from 'Jaws'
              '85 G-Wag, AMC 360 - Edelbrock Performer Cam and Intake, Megasquirt TBI, TF 727 with TCI Kit, NP-208, 4" Skyjacker Softride, Detroit EZ Locker front and rear.

Comment

Working...
              X