• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billyrb
    BJ's Off-Road
    • Aug 15, 2001

Location of exit pipe

I know we all talk alot about carbon monoxide and exhaust flowing back into our wags while driving. I have the factory deflector wing, but still I worry about the fumes. Has anyone ever tested the location of the exit pipe to see if the fumes are less or more (into the cab) while driving? This would probably be something that would have to be tested in a wind tunnel with computer systems, but I figure it is at least worth asking.

~ryan
    BJ's Off-Road
    [email protected]
    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts
  • Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

How about if I just put about 10 students in a wag and see which one passes out first. This won't solve the problem but it will tell you where not to sit.
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Don S
      • Feb 06, 2002

GEEEwilliekers If the DRIVER goes first does that mean we get rid of all ten of'um ........ ...ds..
      Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
      It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
      ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• Lindel
        Perfesser of Jeepology
        • Jun 15, 2000

that's why you test with the poor performers
        Jeep Grounds
        RRV Homepage
        Texas Full Size Jeep Association
        1987 Grand Wagoneer
        AMC 360/TF727/NP229
        1999 Wrangler Sport
        4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• billyrb
          BJ's Off-Road
          • Aug 15, 2001

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tadsal:
          How about if I just put about 10 students in a wag and see which one passes out first. This won't solve the problem but it will tell you where not to sit.<hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I almost choked on my drink while reading that! TOO funny, Tad!

~ryan
          BJ's Off-Road
          [email protected]

Comment

ok here's what you do....side pipes! "YEAH MANG, jou jus' crooz down de boolevar' wich jour chrombed side pipes, mang, an' jou pick up the sen-yor-it-tahs all over eh-town, mang! maybe lower the truck 6" and add hydraulics, mang, jou are all set!" Whoa, where the He11 did that come from? In all seriousness, what about in front of the rear tires? you may have to move the gas tank with duals or run them both out the passenger side. How about a deflecter on the pipe itself to deflect exhaust away from the rear airstream? wherever you run it, they say its a really good idea to have the exit behind the crew compartment... which pretty much means strait out the back, logically. maybe put a strait back system on (from manifold to rear bumper) and add 6" so it stays away from the rear window/tailgate seal. I don't know, who else has rusted through rear quarte panels on their wag/chers? this is a GREAT way to get fumes into the cabin- way to go JEEP!

Comment

• billyrb
              BJ's Off-Road
              • Aug 15, 2001

As much as I don't like the looks, I probably will have it turn out just behind the rear passenger wheel, and have a little down-turn adapter put on.....not sure yet, though. I have a pup who will be riding in the back of the wag, and, of course, I will HAVE to have the window down for him.....although he can be a pain in the rear, I wouldn't want to kill him with exhaust fumes.....at least not yet.....

~ryan
              BJ's Off-Road
              [email protected]

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

because of the negative pressure area at the rear of the wag or SUV types when tootling down the road, ex gasses can be vacumed into the pass compartment.

AND since most OE designers have the ex pipes turn left or right just after the rear tires, it wood seem a good place to start. this where i have mine located.

i wood have exited the pipes B4 the rear tires, but i get hi centered alot and that wood crush the pipes too often.
                Ken's:
                1966 Super Wagoneer
                5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
                (Soon to be TBI)
                "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• shredby4
                  350 Buick
                  • May 28, 2001

You may be suprised how much exhaust is actually coming through the body. I had to put a new floor board in mine... so I pulled the whole interior out. Everything. A lot of exhaust can be drawn in near the rocker panels when you are sitting still. The body of these things has plenty of places were fumes can come in a travel through. Especially towards the rear where the exhaust exsits. I'd pull my interior panels off in the back and take a look and see if there are some "invisible" holes. I would take care of any rust I found while doing this. Then fill it with fiber glass...and fiber glass insulation. If you do that in the very back (where the factory speakers are) it may improve the sound of the stereo too.Plus in mine the inner fender wells in the back had lots of "loose" places where exhaust could come in... Check all that stuff... Good luck

Comment

• billyrb
                    BJ's Off-Road
                    • Aug 15, 2001

The body on mine is rust-free, so I am a little more lucky. But, when I get ready to install new carpet, I will yank every piece of carpet and padding, clean everything, and seal ALL bolt holes / joints / seams with body sealer. This should help out quite a bit. Also, not sure if anyone else does this, but if you remove the cargo area side panels, and look into the wells, there are lots of opportunities there for holes. Check em' and seal em'. Take part of an afternoon also and lay under your rig.....inspect the exhaust system and check for leaks / holes, etc.

~ryan
                    BJ's Off-Road
                    [email protected]

Comment

• RustyJeep
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 09, 2000

Just make sure ya don't seal the drain holes for the fender wells. That was the cause of rust in my '90 GW.
                      -Rustyjeep-
                      aka Ben Mitchell
                      '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• shredby4
                        350 Buick
                        • May 28, 2001

To Billyrb...WOW a rust free FSJ!!!!!!!!! Lucky isn't the word.. Some of what I am talking about is the way it's put together..not just rust. There are spot welded seams that start to bow with age... I guess that's what causes it. Anyway..like I said it's full of passages.. It may not hurt to insulate 'em for other reasos like road noise and climate control. That air conditioner (if ya got one) would work better, and so would the heat. Just my opinion...unless the insulation gets wet for some reason it shouldn't have any negative effects. I still like tadsal's idea.

Comment

• irbob
                          360 AMC
                          • Apr 11, 2000

I'm spray foaming all around the edges in "Woooooof's" rear quarters. I hate dust more than rust but if I can keep the dust out then water will have a hard time getting in there also, along with fumes. Most of the outside elements come in through the tail lights on mine. I couldn't believe all the light shinning in around those rear wheel wells. I love that spray foam.
                          Bob
                          83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                          83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• Don S
                            • Feb 06, 2002

Ryan!!........I thought RUST FREE ment you didn't have to PAY for it??? ..Right at the top of the rear tire...that lip on the fender..is only spot welded and leaks water...Also the clip-holes for the chrome strips and tail lights leak..I noticed my rockers are Galvanised .........ds..
                            Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                            It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                            ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• billyrb
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              • Aug 15, 2001

Pay??? ME pay? Didn't you know, I'm a cheap son of a gun????

~ryan
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X