X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenMachine
    232 I6
    • Jun 14, 2002

I hate setting up ring and pinions.. And this one time I tried to replace the oil pump gasket that was leaking on a 360 and snapped off 3 of the bolts in it ( that was fun).

I don't mind Torx. I don't own a set of torx bits I just weld a nut to them and turn them out with a wrench and then never put em back. My wifes 91 Xj had one on the top of the transmission and I almost cut a hole in her floorboard trying to get it out. It was reverse torx though and just really really hard to get a wrench on.
    GreenMachine

Comment

• prayforsurf
      232 I6
      • Oct 31, 2006

I'm surprised that you guys had trouble with the upper starter bolt, i never had a problem with that, and im terrible with that kind of stuff. the thing that had me ready to sell the jeep was the stupid fuel pump....maybe i was just having a bad day, and was being a little over cautious about crossthreading the bolt (i dont believe its possible to be overcautious with that kind of thing but w/e), but i couldnt hold the pump up and get the bolt in straight, i would always get a cramp in my forearm from the funky position and then it would make me lower the pump a frogs hair and disalign the holes.

as for the plug behind the heater core... i get that one from underneath, works awesome. i think we should have a competition, who can change all the plugs on their jeep properly and start her up.
      88' Grand Wagoneer. Working on it piece by piece just keeping it running.

"Slow progress is sure progress"

Comment

• jeepnhal
        258 I6
        • Jan 09, 2005

body rust.i dont mind mechanical work(its stress releif for me)but i hate body work and i plain suck at it.unfortunately its unavoidable here in ct
        1993 xj,35s,rubicon express this n that daily driver/wheeler
        1977 waggy(plow king)

Comment

• thejum57
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 05, 2001

Don't even have to think about that one........the gas tank. I've had to drop it 3 times. All the lines, fuel, and air. The filler setup on a J-10 is un-freakin' beleivable to work on. Well it's still hard to fill it, and the guage still doesn't work. So, I guess it will come out a 4th time this year!
          Jim, W.Mass. 1976 J-10 258/6 "short-bed" rebuilt motor, Webber 2bbl, Rancho 5000, C.B. 2M HAM, 30" high cap to fit over roll bar KB1FIT (sadly...sold)
          http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/000_0747.jpg
          2ooo Dodge Grand Caravan
          1987 Chevy Cavalier Convertible
          1986 Jeep Comanche
          http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/000_1213.jpg

Comment

• Am4wag
            327 Rambler
            • Oct 04, 2004

Installing 4in. lift kit (all 4 spring packs) in late November,1/2in. water on floor of shop (raining and leaking roof),by myself.
            88GW,360,3 angled valves,K8600,1406,TFI,MSD,727,<br />Hurst,NP229.D44\'s,3:31\'s,BJ\'s 4in.,31in.Generals,ProComp alloys.S-10 box,"Swissed" rockers"

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
              350 Buick
              • Jan 18, 2004

I have to concur with some of the other guys here. Getting them dagone body bolts out is a nightmare, that along with the exhaust manifold to y pipe bolts. I tried removing both sets of these bolts and they are designed to rust and break off as opposed to coming out. Another little easter egg that AMC/Chrycho left for us all!!!. I have been able to tackle the other projects (Fuel pumps, trans, starter top bolt etc.) With relative ease. maybe I am doing something right. Who knows. but the rear two bolts on my body mounts broke off and the others will definitely break as soon as I attempt to remove them. Too dagone cold right now to finish off the body lift but I guess when the weather breaks I will be using many four letter words putting in the body lift. Dang.
              88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
              89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
              2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
              1. TBI
              2. New fuel tank
              3. AW-4 Transmission
              4. Aluminum condensor
              5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• zmjeeps
                304 AMC
                • Jun 14, 2000

Removing and installing FSJEarls truck trans for no good reason...

Zack
                Zack Heisey
                Z&M Jeeps
                419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                www.zmjeeps.com
                [email protected]

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
                  304 AMC
                  • May 02, 2003

Originally posted by zmjeeps
                  Removing and installing FSJEarls truck trans for no good reason...

Zack
                  I just wanted to make sure that you knew how to remove one and put it back in!
                  FSJ-Earl
                  2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
                  2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
                  1989 GW - the one that started it all
                  1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig

Comment

• Dome
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 06, 2000

That **** vinyl power window track in the drivers side door that seems to break every 9 months like clockwork. Not the most difficult thing, but definitely one of the most annoying.
                    Last edited by Dome; 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM.
                    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
                    360, TF727, NP228
                    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker

Comment

• Ranger
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 04, 2001

I'd have to say I despise changing water pumps on AMC V-8's especially on rigs that are loaded with accessories.

Ranger
                      1986 J10 Pioneer

Various other parts FSJ's

Comment

• zmjeeps
                        304 AMC
                        • Jun 14, 2000

Originally posted by FSJ-Earl
                        I just wanted to make sure that you knew how to remove one and put it back in!
                        Somebody forgot to mention that none of the bellhousing bolts were even finger tight...
                        Zack Heisey
                        Z&M Jeeps
                        419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                        www.zmjeeps.com
                        [email protected]

Comment

• andy d
                          Shade Tree Shaman
                          • May 06, 2000

lessee, gas tank, fuel and water pumps. 30' of vacuum hose and the dozen or so valves used to smog a 60s engine to 21st century dyno smog test specs. Electrics dont faze me, the location of the fuse box does. The assortment of fasteners: English, metric and Torx is a PITA. The oil pan and the Y pipe are fun too. On the whole, I'd rather wrench on my 528e. .
                          \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                            Cherokee Outlaw
                            • Jan 10, 2006

INTAKE MANIFOLDS!!!!! Takin mine off for the 5th time in 3 months
                            -Jonny B.
                            1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                            7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                            AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                            NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                            F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                            R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                            1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                            1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                            1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• nw_upstart
                              232 I6
                              • May 25, 2006

Having do do an engine rebuild and swap in a week in the early cold winter of January because you wrecked your other truck and needed a rig to drive. Spending countless hours doing this in the rain and mud with little to no sleep and a growing cold, only to not be able to connect the engine and tranny. Got through everything and was suddenly held up by a 1/2" gap.

Turned out to be the pilot bushing. Clutch kit came with 2, and the only difference was about a millimeter. It was a millimeter that made a huge impact however.

Other than that the back passenger valve cover bolt. **** heater core is in the way even when you're laying across the engine.
                              Meg - 1979 Cherokee WT, 360(Freshly built- upgraded most everything in it)/T18/D20, 3" lift, 33x12.5 BFG All-Terrain KO T/A, D44/D44 Detroit TrueTrac

1976 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400
                              1978 Cherokee WT - 360/TH400
                              1985 AMC Eagle 4x4 stationwagon

Comment

finding out that the exhaust is mounted to the quadratrac case was a fun treat, no wonder i couldn't get the t-case to drop after pulling the 4 bolts. oh and the nut that held that pesky exhaust bracket on was covered by the bolt that held the exhaust to said bracket.

also having to leave the front drive shaft attached to the t-case while you drop it because the crossmember hinders access to the driveshaft bolts, thats a fun one.

the top starter bolt is also a major pain.

come to think of it, the only thing that isn't a pain in the arse on these rigs is adding oil... but thats really two faced because you are always frustrated how much oil ya gotta add to these things.

and we're shocked that AMC never made it...

Al
                                79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
                                99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
                                07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

Working...
                                X