• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • His-N-Hers Woodies
    232 I6
    • Apr 13, 2018

Rear mount XJ gas tank (LS Swap) write up

I decided to use a later model XJ tank for my grand waggy LS swap. The 19 gallon tank is a good fit in the spare tire location. The problem is the filter/regulator needs to be bypassed so it can deliver the required pressue. My cost was about $50 including a new universal level sending unit.
    Added a return by drilling and tapping for a fitting.

Used this $35 sending unit.

Drilled and tapped the 5 holes which ARE NOT equally spaced apart

Remove the filter/regulator. Run a line so the pump discharges through the hole where the filter/regulator was. Us an external filter of your choice.

A 1/4 pipe coupling fits nicely in the hole. I secured mine with JB weld. I couldn't find a JIC/NPT elbow locally so I cobbled one together from stuff I did have.

Plumbed up the pump and slid it back into the module housing

I'm using a spin-on element

Fuel pressure is what the dr ordered and no leaks.

Fabricated some brackets to use the XJ hangers. Trimmed the original hoses and plumbed them up the the fill necks.

• 81jseries
    232 I6
    • Aug 31, 2001

Thank you for posting this! I picked up a 97 XJ tank this past weekend for my sniper efi install because of this post. I'm hoping to get my stock 1967 fuel gauge to work, Is there a reason you used the aftermarket sending unit rather than the stock XJ sending unit?
    67 wagoneer - GTO 389 & 4spd

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 18, 2003

I put the same late model XJ plastic tank in my 79 a few years ago. I had a local metal shop bend me a 1/2 in thick steel plate to match the contour of the XJ tank and then used that to mount the tank. I can support the whole back of the jeep on that skidplate.
      For the sender, I took the bottom half of the XJ sender, and combined it with the top half of a WJ sender. The WJ's use a very similar sending unit with the exception of that they use a external regulator (built into the fuel filter) so it has a normal feed and return fitting on it. However the WJ tank is not as deep as the XJ tank. So I combined the two.
      For some reason I never took pictures when I did all this years ago.
      79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
      Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
      93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• yossarian19
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2016

I like it.
        I may wind up sacrificing my spare tire to do something like this. Right now I have TBI & a TBI pump in the stock tank, but I picked up an MPFI manifold so... this might be happening sooner than I care to think about

Comment

Working...
        X