• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aktrapper
    232 I6
    • Aug 29, 2008

NP229 Troubleshooting

I am having a lot of little problems with my 229. I don't want to swap if I can figure out how to make it reliable. Anyone know a source for a good troubleshooting guide to diagnose problems? I tried the search and didn't find anything. It doesn't always lock in and the hi/lo lever doesn't move. We did find some vacuum leaks and fixed those. Thanks in advance.
    Certified Novice Mechanic...
    89 Grand Wagoneer (AMC 360/TF727/NP229)

A work in progress!
  • Chief Gunner
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 10, 2006

I was able to download a manual for the 229 from Tom's ole jeep web site. There are some trouble shooting guidelines in there. It also tells you how to disassemble and reassemble your transfer case. I just for mine apart and put it back together. It is very easy at the end of the day. Take your time and put your posts in order that you take it apart on and it will be easy.
    The War Wagon: 1986 GW- SOA/SF on 33X12.50's, 360/727/NP228, CS 144 Alt, OBA
    Wife's DD: 2012 Ford Focus SEL

My carbon foot print is bigger than your's.
    WWW.SOCALULTIMATE4X4.COM

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

x2
      Prolly your best guide if not your only one avail. If you plan to do your own work buying a paper factory TSM is money well spent. I prefer paper manuals rather than online or CD's but to each his own. If you've already replaced some of your vac lines because they were bad odds are the rest of them are also tired. Don't ignore the vac lines to the front differential. The axle vac lines are part of the tcase vac system so a leak anywhere in the system is still a leak.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

The front axle has to shift first before vacuum will be sent back to the transfer case and the case has to be in 4 wheel drive before you can move the range lever. Joe is correct, I would go through the whole vacuum system.
        David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
        83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
        10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• aktrapper
          232 I6
          • Aug 29, 2008

Thanks guys, now the fun begins...
          Certified Novice Mechanic...
          89 Grand Wagoneer (AMC 360/TF727/NP229)

A work in progress!

Comment

Working...
          X