Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

bummer oh well it was a good and faithfull servant during it time. I did like it's size and ease of use plus it was my first and you always remember the first LOL
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• klank
      304 AMC
      • Sep 02, 2003

Well guys I've been studying for my test and I take it April 10th.. I hope Matt Faber is doing the same.

I've narrowed it down to these models to buy for now. They are 2 meter. Anyone have an opinion on one or the other? Thanks if you do.

IC-T2H Sport ICOM

IC-V8 ICOM

TH-K2AT Kenwood

VX-150/64B Yaesu

[ March 25, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: klank ]

Comment

• FSJ Thing
        Propane Protagonist
        • Aug 25, 2002

I bombed the test a few months ago when I took it. I though I had enough of the answers memorized to pass, and every question on the test I remembered reading on my answer sheet but couldn't remember the right answer for it! I'll talk the test again before Ouray, but a few other things are on the front burners right now...

EDIT>>>I forgot to wish you well! good luck!

[ March 25, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: J-truck Thing ]
        The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• klank
          304 AMC
          • Sep 02, 2003

Thanks!

Comment

• bigun
            • Feb 10, 2003

with a handi talki you have the option of using it as a mobile with power cord external mike and speaker and atten.. Some times this has been done by the factory just like todays hands free phone set up except you still have to use the mike. But then you can pull it out and use it like a handi I know that is the way the Denver PD used to be setup
            charlie
            KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
            Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• jeeprme1
              230 Tornado
              • Mar 25, 2004

COOl, Jeeps and Ham radio, so much in common. Both are fun taking to mountain tops, wife complains about both, both of them will empty pockets. Good luck on new hobby, it's alot of fun. I don't regret getting into it, very rewarding hobby. Hope to hear ya on the air. 73's and good luck. N0ZMP

Comment

• klank
                304 AMC
                • Sep 02, 2003

Ok, jeeprme1, what up with everyone in ham putting "73's" in their ending message. Got me confused and I see it everywhere.

Comment

• Don S
                  • Feb 06, 2002

Originally posted by klank:
                  Ok, jeeprme1, what up with everyone in ham putting "73's" in their ending message.
                  klank:

... "73's" is a code that means the same as Have a nice day. or

Have a good one and CUL.. Don S..

ps I just got my ten-year renewal ...WB5ZCR
                  Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                  It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                  ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• 2Stock
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 09, 2001

Update: I found a mint Kenwood TS-830S on Ebay about a month ago and bought it. I am very happy with it so far. I need to do some mods to the the antenna and have some Andrews coax on the way from another ebay surplus store. I don't have a license yet. I am listening in on the 40 meter and 80 meter bands at night and some 20 meters in the day. If anybody is interested, there is a request before the FCC right now the change the license requirements for the Novice class to not require morse code. There are also some restrictions on which bands the Novice can transmit on. 73's
                    1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• Rande
                      Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                      • Jun 26, 2000

Not sure how much more the FCC is going to do for us. They can easily sell our bands for a tidy profit.
                      N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
                      1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
                      1966 Mustang
                      1937 IH D2

Comment

• Ferrets
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 11, 2004

Hey guys, I just caught this thread out of the corner of my eye. I'm glad to see so many Ham FSJ's !

One of the coolest ham related things I've recently come across is echolink EchoLink

I spoke with someone on Cape Bretton Island,NS. My signal went from my computer over echolink to the NS repeater - from there it was put out on 2M.

I think this will come in very handy when I am up there on vacation with a rig in my car - my parents ( both hams ) can link up from Long Island. THey are in Europe right now - I spoke with them this morning - It was wild - EchoLink allows conference calls mixing RF and INternet signals. My dad had 5 of his ham buddies in a QSO over three continents.

73's

Mark

PS - Rande, did you get that OD J20 home yet ? I'm planning on mounting some Mil radios in mine....
                        '81 ex-Navy J20 w/ troop seats
                        Looking for info on this vehicle

Comment

• 2Stock
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 09, 2001

Rande: I was listening on 80 meters last night to a conversation among several hams in your area of the country. They were concerned about the FCC taking HAM bands and using them for broadband video. They mentioned "BTL" and "BTL nodes" several times. I got the idea that this was some type of technology or maybe a company trying to promote the use of 400' towers to broadcast a service. I have not heard of that before in Texas so I wondered if this is something new to Minnesota. Is this your concern about the FCC selling bands? As far as I know, the only wireless broadband commercially available operates in the area of 5ghz+ and has a range of approx. 30 miles per tower.

Ferrets: Thanks for the reference to Echolink. I looked them up. Very interesting.
                          1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• klank
                            304 AMC
                            • Sep 02, 2003

Tomorrow and Sunday I'm going to a class for my technician license. Sunday is a half day. I will than take my test the following Saturday. I have been taking a practice test on QRZ.com 2x a day to study. You know it's weird. I'm having a hard time finding terms for stuff. I can't even find a term for the word "Perigee" on arrl's website. Anyways, I'm trying real hard to pass this. I guess the club who puts this on has a cd they hand out that will help you pass the test that much quicker, and it's all free.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna be ready and I'm really excited. Wish me luck also that I get a really cool # for my license.

Comment

• klank
                              304 AMC
                              • Sep 02, 2003

Ok, so things are looking up. It's really dead at work today and I'm all caught up on work so I've been taking the practice tests on QRZ.com. I have passed 1 out of 3 tests. That's pretty good considering a month ago I really knew nothing about this stuff.

P.s. this Topic of the month stuff is like a ghost town. I'm here all alone.

Comment

• bigun
                                • Feb 10, 2003

Hey Matt good luck on the test 73s
                                charlie
                                KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                                X