• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calfano9730
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 09, 2017

81 Wags ISO HELP

Hey guys I'm new to this scene picked up a 81 wagoneer about 6 months ago and almost finished with the restoration. I have a few questions 1st I love the look of the 78 j10 hood with the scoop in the front. Will they swap out and fit the wagoneer? And the other question is can anyone show me what the p/s brackets should look like mine sits a little high and smacked the factory hood and busted the new paint after I adjusted the hood down to where it needs to be. ( now I know why it was adjusted so high from the get go) thanks in advance.
    P.S. How the he'll do you attach pics lol.
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

Which grille are you referring too?

These are from the "Show them grills" thread in the "FSJ Fabrication" forum on this site:

Wrench Monkey's Razor Grille. Requires removal on your existing mounts:

j10jims's Rhino. Requires removal of existing mounts, new headlights with trim rings and pie plates to cover the inboard holes unless you mount lights like he did. Also, in my opinion, requires the proper hood. As you can see the upper corners don't fit right and the top contour is off. Also note the holes in the valence in the upper corners.

Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Calfano9730
      230 Tornado
      • Mar 09, 2017

I'd upload pictures but it says my files are too big for the forum. I have the plastic grille with square headlights. The top hood is the one I want the lower pic is the grille I want but right now I need a hood I just pulled it out of the paint booth and when everything was reassembled I closed my hood and the p/s pump was mounted a little high and well it pushed the hood up killing the new prep work and paint I never really noticed because the hood was a good bit out of adjustment and when I readjusted it that's when it fup'd. But if I'm buying a hood I want the top one. Now when you say contour your talking body line up to the cowl correct? And thanks for the pics and fast reply.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Those hoods are the same. The only difference is the bar across the front on the upper one.

From a search:

The later hoods have a flatter angle over the grille and are kinda thinner at the center. The proper hood has a constant thickness over the grille and the corners wrap around it.

Some don't notice or care about the difference but it bugged me enough that I sold the grille I had saved.

There's a guy in the Vendor section selling fiberglass copies of the Rhino. CJ-7 headlights work.

I don't know why your hood hits the AC. Maybe wrong motor mounts? Been near 20 years since mine had the stock motor.
        Last edited by SJTD; 03-24-2017, 09:31 AM.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Calfano9730
          230 Tornado
          • Mar 09, 2017

Not the a.c. but power steering pump I noticed they have some different brackets on it but I don't know what factory is supposed to look like this is only my third amc engine in 18 years so I'm not that familiar with them. But thank you for the info still getting use to the forum. Trying to figure where everything is I will look around and see if I can find the parts for the clip thanks again.

Comment

• Strode
            1st Chair, Cowbell
            • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by Calfano9730
            I'd upload pictures but it says my files are too big for the forum.....
            Brad
            (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• tenoverthenose
              we don't know what he wants.
              • Jan 12, 2017

I have an '81 with a 258 in it that I can get photos of if it helps.

Comment

Working...
              X