• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tercules
    232 I6
    • Apr 14, 2009

Carb rebuild. Tube broke off in my hand

Hi all, It's me with another awesome question for you carb guru's.
    So I decided to tackle the carb rebuild myself today. I was removing the carb and following removal instructions ("There is a "S" shaped metal tube (with a disc shaped valve in middle) which connects the choke's bimetallic spring housing to the heat stove on the manifold. It's located on the passenger side rear corner of the carb. There is a brass adapter fitting between the tube and the carb. which has pipe thread on the carb. side and a compression fitting on the other") and this tube basically fell apart in my hand! First question is could this have been my loss of power going up grades and steep hills? would this tube being broken have caused a vaccume leak? I posted a week ago or so about a tea kettle noise under the hood when I'm pressing the motor to go faster or up hills. It would be awesome if this is all the prob is and I dont have to rebuild the carb in such a hurry to make the AZ chino run in 2 days.
    Second where can I get a replacement tube FAST?
    Please any help/advise would be great.
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    1979 J-10 Golden Eagle
    1984 Honda Goldwing Gl1200
    2005 Honda Civic
  • Tercules
    232 I6
    • Apr 14, 2009

Derr

I guess I didnt look close enough. The tube just pulled (easily) out of the manifold hole. There are 2 of them and they just push (kinda) into the manifold. Is this normal that there so loose in there?
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    1979 J-10 Golden Eagle
    2005 Honda Civic

Comment

• yankeedog
      304 AMC
      • Mar 14, 2007

convert to maual choke. or electric all that tube does is bring hot air up to the bi metalthingy it can be a liitle loose.

Comment

• jaber
        Dragin Az
        • Oct 17, 2003

No, unfortunately, that is not your problem. As yankeedog stated, one tube goes to the top back side of the carb to draw fresh filtered air into the stove pipes and the other one goes to the choke housing to heat the choke. They are usually loose on the ones I find, when they are even there. I dont think you will have as tough of a time with that rebuil as your telling yourself. Just take your time and follow the directions.

Good luck...
        Jeff

'43 cj2a
        '51 Willys p/u
        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
        '68 Panel Delivery
        '74 CJ5
        '75 J-20 Wrecker
        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
        '77 J-10 p/u
        '79 Cherokee
        '88 Grand Wagoneer
        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Tercules
          232 I6
          • Apr 14, 2009

Tubes

Thanks for your advise.
          I cleaned the carb up real good yesterday and soaked some parts over nite. I was really surprised how clean the carb looked. It looks like someone had recently rebuilt it. The gaskets looked new and the power valve looked good. Napa actually had the rebuild kit in stock but it cost me $85.00 So upon a quick phone call to dad he said there could be something they did wrong in the last rebuild and to go ahead and just do it since I had the kit.
          So today I will put it all back together and take a little ride up the grade, after I pull the radiator out and have it dipped and rodded that is.
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          1979 J-10 Golden Eagle
          2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
          X