International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 PM
230 Tornado

Starter Failure Mode and Hillbilly Fix

When I got this J-2000, it had a funny ignition setup. You turn the key to start, hear a click, then push the start button and it turns over. It took me a while to figure out since the push button is always hot, and will spin the starter, but it won't engage unless you hold the key in the start position.

It turns out the OEM starter has a dual function integrated solenoid that eletromechanically pushes the pinion gear into the ring gear, and then closes the relay allowing current to flow to the starter motor.

Well this one failed such that the starter motor power relay was stuck closed. If power is applied to the starter, it spins. So the farmer solution was to install a remote solenoid (relay) to apply power via the pushbutton, but only after turning the key which still actuates the electromagnet engaging the pinion gear.

It seemed kinda janky and hard to explain if anyone else had to drive the truck so I thought I'd fix it.

I'd read up on the gear reduction starters, which use a similar setup. They say explicitly in their instructions that it's fine to use a remote relay, but you have to jumper the connection that would actuate the electromagnet to push the gear into place. I tried that with the old starter and it did not go well. The original system provided a slight delay, which was apparently required.

I found this little gadget https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/tdr12v1.html which is an adjustable delay relay. I wired it in line with the wire to the remote solenoid/relay with a very brief delay and use the wire directly to the starter integrated solenoid as the signal. It works great!

This might be an unusual failure mode, but this is a great way to get more life out of a partially failed starter.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a good anti-theft device to me! Anyone breaks into your truck there is no way they are gonna get it started and drive away!!!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring