• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

Custom Stock Exhaust?

Good topic for the month! I'm hoping to do all new pipes on my '78 J10 in April, so good place/time for a couple thoughts/questions.

I've got a 258, 4 speed on this one, and looking just to go basically "stock" exhaust format, but I'll need to replace all the pipes/muffler. Not much left there right now! I've priced the parts and "can" order them, but the price has gone up considering in little over a year. I'd priced it at about $125 a little over a year ago. Could get a "custom" job(same thing, just all custom bent) done for about $145 around the same time. Now, the price for the just the parts is like $160. I haven't checked with the guy who can do the custom job, but gather he might be a little higher too by now. Still....here's what I'm thinking:

What if I remove the exhaust pipe(first chunk), take it in and have a new one bent to it's form. Get a new muffler, measure "exact" dimensions and bends for a tailpipe(can use my '77 as a guide there!), and just get custom bent "pipes" and install myself? Not sure about pricing, but does this sound like a workable route? I'm CHEAP, so bear that in mind....if I can save $20, I will! I don't mind doing the work myself(did my '77 a few years ago). Also...I'd prefer to give the $$$ to the custom guy(he's into old relics like ours!) than a farm/fleet where I'd order the parts otherwise.

So, I'm wondering..this would be "stock format", but "custom done".....sound feasible? Ya think?

Thanks....

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: UnkleMunky ]</p>
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...
  • mahlmann
    232 I6
    • Jun 15, 2000

In my experience, the prefab "factory" style exhaust parts (like you get from the parts store by Monroe, etc.) are cheaper than getting custom stuff made up, and they usually fit just about perfect. They may be thinner stock than you could get from a custom shop, but they will last a long time, even in Wisconsin. (I'm from Wausau, a LONG time ago.) You do have to get it welded once it's all put together though because clamps alone will not hold it together and keep it aligned. Can you do your own welding?

I would go with some sort of performance muffler rather than the factory-style strangler. Without a catalytic converter, you can fit a pretty long glass pack in there. I'm partial to DynoMax mufflers which are quieter and cheaper than Flowmasters, but they still cost more than a generic glass pack.

Good luck with yours.
    Mike Ahlmann<BR>\'87 Grand Wagoneer <BR>\"Steel Brick\"<BR>Sunnyvale, California

Comment

• Lindel
      Perfesser of Jeepology
      • Jun 15, 2000

Unk, your probably better off sticking with your plan, since I think it very unlikely that ANYONE makes pre-bent exhaust parts for our trucks, anymore.

The heat riser valve for the V8's is still a dealer item, for the princely sum of about $115.
      Jeep Grounds
      RRV Homepage
      Texas Full Size Jeep Association
      1987 Grand Wagoneer
      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
      1999 Wrangler Sport
      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• RustyJeep
        304 AMC
        • Apr 09, 2000

Actually, Walker and Merit, both of which I deal with on a regular basis, make prebent pipes for our rigs yet. I like Merit's pipes better, because they use mandrel bends and are cheaper than Walker. Walker uses those crimped style bends that don't flow as well.
        -Rustyjeep-
        aka Ben Mitchell
        '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• TexasJ10
          360 AMC
          • Jan 03, 2002

I haven't seen Merit pipes around here. Can they be ordered mail order?
          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• RustyJeep
            304 AMC
            • Apr 09, 2000

I don't know for sure...you can go to www.meritexhaust.com They have a dealer locator, so maybe there is a place in TX for ya to get them. Here in Michigan, they are as close as the nearest Auto Value.
            -Rustyjeep-
            aka Ben Mitchell
            '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

• Wagoneer622
              350 Buick
              • Nov 18, 2001

I didn't have a problem getting any of the pipes from CarQuest when I did the exaust system on my 360. Everything fit perfectly! With the help of the mighty sawzall I was done in about an hour. I am pretty sure my father was able to get that stuff for his 85 GW with the 258 about 2 years ago. I also have to agree that the exaust components have to be welded. I have to take my wag to my buddies shop one night so we can weld everything to together and get rid of the leaks from the bad seals.

Chris
              83 Wagoneer Ltd.(360/727/229)
              Chris

Jeepless, now running a 2012 Toyota Tacoma 4 Door SR5

Past Rigs:
              1983 Wagoneer Limited 360/727/229
              1985 Grand Wagoneer 258/999/229
              1986 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/228
              1987 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229

Other Rigs in the family from the past:
              1975 Cherokee S N/T 304/T-15/D20
              1979 Cherokee S W/T 258/TH400/BW

Comment

• Weelspin
                232 I6
                • Sep 07, 2001

I have the same powerplant and tranny set-up.... I went and had a professional make mine from scratch...... he had to make the pipe from the exhaust manifold out, then he put in the cat and a 36" glasspack and it all cost me 298.00.
                Good Luck!
                Dave<br />1986 Grand Waggy

Comment

• mccullough_89_GW
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 14, 2001

I had a single 2.5 system custom bent for 140 and bought a super turbo from summit for 45...

custom dynomax system for 185 installed...
                  after reading all these exhaust posts.... seems like I got a pretty good deal, also It kicks buTT, very happy....
                  kel

Comment

• UnkleMunky
                    350 Buick
                    • Oct 17, 2000

Thanks for all the input, gang! The Farm/Fleet parts I can buy are the cheapest cost around for pre-bent parts. Napa/Bumper are notably MORE! Being the custom shop could do the job(including labor) for only a few more dollars than the F/F parts cost, I thought that route might be worth considering. This shop is 1.5hours away, so not really convenient. This is why I'm thinking taking parts and having them made, and me install. I'll talk to them and see about it....he's into classics, so would feel good giving him the business! Still need to weigh all this out, but I'll post back after I finally go with one way or another...which will hopefully be in the next month as I NEED to get this done! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Again....thanks for the input....always love the viewpoints everyone adds....really helps out!

Take care...
                    Michael (UnkleMunky)
                    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
                    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
                    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

Working...
                    X