International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Fuel Injection

Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 PM
out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
When I was working on getting my Chero through smog, I came across a guy with a 79 CJ7 with a 401/Holley sniper in it. He said he originally had a Howell and it went through smog a couple times, but he wanted more power so he put a Edelbrock intake on it (but ground off the logo, and painted it to match the engine so it looks like a stock manifold), and the Holley Sniper. He said when he takes it to smog, they kind of scratch their heads when they look at it, assume the Holley Kit is the Howell kit, and do the sniff/evap tests. He said he has passed twice like that. He's banking that the smog techs can't tell the difference and twice it has worked for him which means he's been driving it for at least 4 years like that. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk failing but he swears by it.

No offense but holley sniper just hit market so not sure I'd buy anything the guy said. Also has ginormous Holley Sniper EFI script on it.
You would have to know smog guy, or find one ignorant enough to risk losing his license and a fine for a $xx smog test fee.

wayne-o be careful what you post in future.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
No offense but holley sniper just hit market so not sure I'd buy anything the guy said. Also has ginormous Holley Sniper EFI script on it.
You would have to know smog guy, or find one ignorant enough to risk losing his license and a fine for a $xx smog test fee.

No offense taken! My thoughts were similar but more like "that's a lot of time and effort to bank on the tech not noticing". Dude didn't do any of his own work (had a local custom shop do all his work). I had to explain the difference between 4bbl and 2bbls and what "long block" means during our discussion.

I called the shop to see if his Howell system was still there (because I would have bought it if it was) and the owner said he sold it "years ago". So, long story long, I don't put much weight on what this guy said but a) he seemed loaded (lots of money, not drunk) so I didn't doubt his story about having Howell and updating to a better system, b) He knew very little about how engines work, generally, so he may have been giving me info that wasn't a lie, but not necessarily correct and c) the shop, generally, didn't contradict him. Here's his Jeep, I contacted him because he had a '79 401 that had been smogged. He lives really close to me. Intake does not look engine color.
https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/5980569396.html

I did smog my Chero at the same place he went and I watched the tech smog my truck. He did some poking around during his visual inspection but he didn't take out any pubs to verify my configuration and when he was inputting the values for the inspection, he did not turn away from the computer to check anything.
1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Wide Track, 401, bone stock
Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin1876
Just curious if anyone has installed this kit. And if so do you like it?
Have you pulled the trigger on this? It looks like a good setup.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaques
Have you pulled the trigger on this? It looks like a good setup.
I have I've ordered it. But it is on back order and won't ship out until next month.
72 J4000
64 J200 (parts truck)
Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Noob!

Hey curious how this ever turned out?