V8 cam, intake and carb swap +Random pics of 8600/1406/3731 going in...almost there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

Is that for an aftermarket dizzy or are my eyes just playing tricks on me?
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• shiner2001
      350 Buick
      • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
      Is that for an aftermarket dizzy or are my eyes just playing tricks on me?
      That picture is as it is coming out. Stock gear on stock cam for a stock dizzy. I will be swapping the dizzy gear over to my Mallory as soon as this round of upgrades is done, that way the gears can continue to play nice together as they have for so long.
      Derek
      ----------------
      1973 Wagoneer 360
      1978 Cherokee 360
      1981 J10 360

----------------
      1964 El Camino 357
      1972 C10 454 LS6
      1979 Corvette L82
      1979 Scout II 345
      1988 YJ 4.2L
      1991 YJ 4.3L
      1990 Suburban V2500 350
      1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
      2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
      "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."

Comment

• grand_wag_85
        Murphy's Law Poster Child
        • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by shiner2001
        That picture is as it is coming out. Stock gear on stock cam for a stock dizzy. I will be swapping the dizzy gear over to my Mallory as soon as this round of upgrades is done, that way the gears can continue to play nice together as they have for so long.
        Thanks man. I dunno why but in that pic it looks so different for whatever reason. I've prolly done 4 or 5 timing sets on AMC's(slaps head), I feel like a heel.
        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
        '88 GW
        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• shiner2001
          350 Buick
          • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
          Thanks man. I dunno why but in that pic it looks so different for whatever reason. I've prolly done 4 or 5 timing sets on AMC's(slaps head), I feel like a heel.
          It's on an 84 that I have only had for almost exactly one year, so there is a greater than zero chance that it's indeed not stock, I am just assuming that it is (70K miles one owner, no major work or mods). It also very well could just be the photo playing tricks, maybe the angle or something, who knows.
          Derek
          ----------------
          1973 Wagoneer 360
          1978 Cherokee 360
          1981 J10 360

----------------
          1964 El Camino 357
          1972 C10 454 LS6
          1979 Corvette L82
          1979 Scout II 345
          1988 YJ 4.2L
          1991 YJ 4.3L
          1990 Suburban V2500 350
          1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
          2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• smearig
            232 I6
            • Dec 20, 2007

Have you fired it up yet? Mine is finally running pretty well after I got the timing straightened out. The cam is definitely a little lumpier at idle, I'm really liking it.

1983 WT Cherokee
            2003 Ram 2500
            2003 Bandit 1200s

Comment

• shiner2001
              350 Buick
              • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by smearig
              Have you fired it up yet? Mine is finally running pretty well after I got the timing straightened out. The cam is definitely a little lumpier at idle, I'm really liking it.

Not yet, I am away from home until next week, so it's just sitting. All I have left to do before I try to start it is add a new PCV valve (mine was the connected to the threaded fitting on the stock manifold, need one to push into the rubber grommet on the 3731) and finish the vacuum hook ups. I am going to get all new line I think so that I know they are in good shape. I'll be going down to San Antonio sometime next week, I may wanna take a look at yours and get some photos of the vacuum setup and what not if you don't mind showing it off.
              Derek
              ----------------
              1973 Wagoneer 360
              1978 Cherokee 360
              1981 J10 360

----------------
              1964 El Camino 357
              1972 C10 454 LS6
              1979 Corvette L82
              1979 Scout II 345
              1988 YJ 4.2L
              1991 YJ 4.3L
              1990 Suburban V2500 350
              1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
              2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• shackwrrr
                360 AMC
                • Mar 04, 2006

"A" and "B" should be plugged if they are not going to be used. normally they are for manifold vac nipples to control emissions. so the only 4 things that are vac controlled should be heater controls, PCV, Brakes, and vac advance.

vac advance should go strait to the front of the carb on the pass side nipple

vac brake booster should go to either the big port on the front of the carb or a fitting screwed into the intake

the pcv should be hooked to a large vac source about the same as the brakes

and the heater controls can be hooked to any full manifold vac the other nipple on the front of the carb will work
                Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• shiner2001
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 19, 2008

shackwrrr, can't the vac brake booster go to C, the port on the rear of the carb that is plugged in the picture? It looks like that is the port that Edelbrock designates for the brakes.

I am not with the Jeep right now, but I have another line hooked up to the large port on the front/center of the carb. I can't recall off the top of my head where the other end goes, but it was also connected to the front of the stock carb, to the best of my memory. Any insight on that since you said the brake booster can go there as well?

Like I said, I am probably going to start from scratch with the vacuum stuff when I get back home. After looking at several diagrams, I think I can replumb it all somewhat correctly, haha.

Along the same lines of vacuum and emissions talk, what have people done with the hard line that runs down to the catalytic converter? I believe there is a joint where it can be detached, and then I suppose it can maybe be either welded shut (not sure off the top of my head what material it is) or crimped or plugged somehow. Thoughts or suggestions?
                  Derek
                  ----------------
                  1973 Wagoneer 360
                  1978 Cherokee 360
                  1981 J10 360

----------------
                  1964 El Camino 357
                  1972 C10 454 LS6
                  1979 Corvette L82
                  1979 Scout II 345
                  1988 YJ 4.2L
                  1991 YJ 4.3L
                  1990 Suburban V2500 350
                  1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                  2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• smearig
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 20, 2007

Originally posted by shiner2001
                    Not yet, I am away from home until next week, so it's just sitting. All I have left to do before I try to start it is add a new PCV valve (mine was the connected to the threaded fitting on the stock manifold, need one to push into the rubber grommet on the 3731) and finish the vacuum hook ups. I am going to get all new line I think so that I know they are in good shape. I'll be going down to San Antonio sometime next week, I may wanna take a look at yours and get some photos of the vacuum setup and what not if you don't mind showing it off.
                    My vacuum setup is very limited because I have hydroboost brakes and the 208 transfer case. I think I even have the ball disconnected right now because I can't figure out why I'd even need it. I have a PCV and the vacuum going to the HEI and that's it for now. Give me a call if you're going to be in the area, I'm always down for showing off the Jeep.
                    1983 WT Cherokee
                    2003 Ram 2500
                    2003 Bandit 1200s

Comment

• shackwrrr
                      360 AMC
                      • Mar 04, 2006

theres my setup.

the big yellow one goes to the booster
                      the big black one goes to the pcv
                      the front little yellow one goes to the distributor
                      the rear little yellow one you can see where it goes to the canister on the firewall.

here is a diagram for 79. since you dont have alot of your emissons that should work

Oh and are you going to use the EGR? it isnt really needed if you dont plan on smogging it. If you do want to run it you need the EGR CTO on that diagram

a bigger overall picture of your setup may help us help you a little better

edit:

oh yea disreguard the honda EGR. it acually bolts right to the stock manifold, I am using it as a block off plate. lol
                      Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• Jayrodoh
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 07, 2004

I'm going to disagree with Shackwrrr as well, according to Edelbrock, the front port is PCV and the rear is brake booster. I know from my install that the vac was much stronger on the rear port than on the front and would cause the engine to die if not connected.
                        Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

for power brake and pcv i'd use the fittings that go on the manifold,as the factory uses,which the edelbrock intake has provisions for.
                          Last edited by Ristow; 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM.
                          Originally posted by Hankrod
                          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                          I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• shiner2001
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by smearig
                            My vacuum setup is very limited because I have hydroboost brakes and the 208 transfer case. I think I even have the ball disconnected right now because I can't figure out why I'd even need it. I have a PCV and the vacuum going to the HEI and that's it for now. Give me a call if you're going to be in the area, I'm always down for showing off the Jeep.
                            I thought I had it saved, but PM me your number again and I'll give you a shout if it looks like I'll have some extra time when I'm through there.
                            Derek
                            ----------------
                            1973 Wagoneer 360
                            1978 Cherokee 360
                            1981 J10 360

----------------
                            1964 El Camino 357
                            1972 C10 454 LS6
                            1979 Corvette L82
                            1979 Scout II 345
                            1988 YJ 4.2L
                            1991 YJ 4.3L
                            1990 Suburban V2500 350
                            1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                            2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• Lindel
                              Perfesser of Jeepology
                              • Jun 15, 2000

I used the intake port, just like stock for the brakes. IIRC I used the rear port for the PCV.
                              Jeep Grounds
                              RRV Homepage
                              Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer
                              AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                              1999 Wrangler Sport
                              4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• shackwrrr
                                360 AMC
                                • Mar 04, 2006

Im not saying that my way is best. Its just the way I did it because I didnt have any fittings on hand and was the easiest way at the time. If I were to re do it I would hook everything to the manifold except the dizzy
                                Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

Working...
                                X