• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skeletor
    350 Buick
    • Jan 31, 2006

Lift spring question

I just put these rough country lift springs on and I'm wondering if they are on backwards or if I should get rid of the degree shims. I don't like seeing driveshaft splines.. it does have a decent vibration

I'm fairly sure the front springs are on backwards...

1984 j10 LWB - for sale
    1977 Cherokee chief wide track(sold)
    2004 LJ - sold
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
  • backroadin'
    350 Buick
    • Aug 11, 2004

Rear spring shims are backwards - should aleviate the pinion angle instead of make it worse. same for the front. Those rear shims the way they are probably is the cause of the vibes. I don't think they're needed with a mild lift - someone should chime in with more info on that.

Often with a lift, the driveshafts need lengthening.

Fronts: are the measurements eye to center the same for front of spring and rear of spring? If they're different then it matters wich direction they go. Otherwise it shouldn't.

How many inches were the lift springs?
    Last edited by backroadin'; 11-01-2017, 06:43 PM.
    1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown https://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/cool.png

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious shhttps://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/eek.pngt!"

Comment

• backroadin'
      350 Buick
      • Aug 11, 2004

I know I saw this somewher on her but i cant find it now after about a hour of searches. I was wondering if anyone knows where the list of sizes of spring for each FSJ is. Im looking for a chart showing the eye to eye dimensions and the widths and also the bushing sizes. I know it was on here that I saw this chart, but I cant

This says your fronts are 24"x22", (each eye to center) so it matters which end goes where. (I believe the 24" end goes to the back.) Same with the rears - 26x31, although if you had those backwards it should be obvious.

I gotta say, I put a 4" spring lift on my wagoneer and I needed to lengthen both my driveshafts a few inches to keep the splines from showing. The PO had put the front springs on backwards on purpose to avoid needing to lenghten front shaft, but the axle/wheels sat back in the wheelwells and it looked goofy. Yours look like they're where they belong.
      Nice looking ride BTW!
      Last edited by backroadin'; 11-01-2017, 06:45 PM.
      1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown https://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/cool.png

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious shhttps://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/eek.pngt!"

Comment

• skeletor
        350 Buick
        • Jan 31, 2006

Thanks, I've been wondering about that shim

This is a 3.5" kit, but it looks like it's a little more than that. Those are 33x10.50s

On the front the way rough country springs are made I found out that the side with the bigger eye is the longer side by an inch which is opposite of factory springs.
        there are no front shims. The steering angle isn't bad though.
        1984 j10 LWB - for sale
        2004 LJ - sold

Comment

• J20 project
          304 AMC
          • Dec 27, 2000

The guys are dead on w/ the shim.....

As stated, folks get pretty stuck on the idea that they were good w/ stock length on the driveshafts. They also run them that way successfully many times. Doesn't mean they are right.
          Pushing the axles away from the frame(lifted) makes the shafts lengthen out and compromises their ability to have the correct slip range while wheeling. Extremely important on the front as it tends to droop more while crawling around.

J20
          BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
          775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• skeletor
            350 Buick
            • Jan 31, 2006

My 77 Cherokee didn't need driveshaft work and that was with a bigger lift, I guess jeep changed driveshafts every once in a while.

I'm going to take off the overload and the shim on the rear and see where I am.
            1984 j10 LWB - for sale
            2004 LJ - sold

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Non-simetrical springs have the longer side attached to the shackle. The short side to the solid mount. I believe the front springs are 47" [24 & 23] center pin.

Comment

Working...
              X