International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 01-21-2019, 11:45 PM
304 AMC

Didn't really "do" anything today. I did do my second 10 minute run to finish my cam off. I feel much better about it. Then I let it idle for a minute or so and I just sat and enjoyed the tone.

I am going to step away from it for a few days. I am pretty fried on it and have a ton of wiring clean up to do. I still have a few mods to do, too (like a 4 wire O2 sensor, mounting up the computer, plugging the fan into the computer, etc.). Then I'll start tuning it, put the fenders/hood back on, etc. Holy cats these TH400's drink a lot of ATF! I put 2 quarts in the converter when it was out, then poured a gallon down the fill tube, and when I checked it when as it was running, it still was not even registering on the dip stick. Geesh. I also bought another pig nose. The outer ring of chrome on mine is thrashed and it had some serious cracks. I am going to black the next one out like my first one, but it should look much better. This is my old one:

I love the idle tone. The sound is almost perfect. It'll be perfect when I have a crispier throttle response.
(Same video, not sure which link will work better)
http://gdurl.com/Ihlu
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1812...ew?usp=sharing

OK, Full Size Jeeper! Get yours going because it will sound even more amazing with your higher compression ratio, better heads, and cam!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 AM
304 AMC

Sounds BAD @SS !!!! Hope to have mine ready to run over the summer. I know it seems like a long time, but I can't believe how fast you got yours back together.

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 AM
350 Buick

School me on the heat sink.
Is it for the stock ignition module on the inner fender or is it for Rang's aftermarket module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babywag
COOL!
You MUST use a good heatsink on ignition module or it'll die.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
School me on the heat sink.
Is it for the stock ignition module on the inner fender or is it for Rang's aftermarket module?
Kind of neither: My ignition module is a stock GM ignition module from a 95 GM 350 TBI. So it's not the Duraspark module that used to be on my inner fender but it's also not aftermarket. The GM Ignition module gets SUPER hot. Even with my little heatsink from Fry's, it was almost burn your finger hot in just 15 minutes of running. Last night I started mounting the bigger/uglier heat sink and I should have some pictures of it up in the next couple days.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Size Jeeper
...I know it seems like a long time, but I can't believe how fast you got yours back together.
Ha! Your rig is on a whoooooole 'nother level than mine! IMHO, there are 4 levels of builds: level 1, pull the engine, replace the worn parts, machine, and put it back in (this is typically what you would get from a mechanic). Level 2: Pull the engine, clean it, mod it some (or engine swap), and put it back (this is my build, His-N-Hers Woodies builds, etc.). level 3 is take the Jeep apart and put it back together, body work, etc. (your build, JPSwapMohn's widetrack GW build) and level 4 is super rare, time consuming, etc. The only build on here I follow closely like this is Kaiserjeeps build of Sadie.

So each level takes more effort, money, and time. Doing it in your driveway/garage, I think a level 1 should take about 2 months, Level 2 should take about 6 months, level 3 takes 1-3 years, and level 4 could take well over 3 years. I don't think this summer is a long time for you to get yours running at all. I think your build is lightening speed! JPSwapMohn's is lightening speed. His-N-Hers Woodies swaps engines faster than I change spark plugs.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM
232 I6

Ok rang-a-stang.......... BREAK IS OVER we want a progress update. This rig is not going to finish itself.

Chris
1965 mustang fastback
1972 international travelette
Yes I have a problem that’s why Iam here
Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapexl8r
Ok rang-a-stang.......... BREAK IS OVER we want a progress update. This rig is not going to finish itself.

Chris

I second this!

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
Soon to be a 401!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:01 PM
304 AMC

Back in the saddle (for a short time).

Last night I cranked a little.

First, I mocked up my airfilter. I am going to do a dual snorkel so I hooked up the stock filter to see how it landed, then laid my spare on top and adjusted it to see where I wanted the second snorkel and marked it on my stocker. This will be a project for me while I am on travel next week.

Most of what I did was clean up wiring. I started on the passenger side and and cleaned all of them up/re-routed them how I wanted them over there, then started to hang my passenger fender. I say "started" because the fender, door, inner fender, and front fascia are all very mis-aligned. Pretty bad. I assume it's because the fender is a replacement from the PO and the body, door and fascia are all still jacked from being on a bent chassis. I spent about 20 mins on it, decided I was getting side tracked and went back to work on the wiring. I got the wiring fed in through the firewall, everything is tagged and ready for hooking up under the dash but it's still a little rough down there. I am happy with the routing from behind the air plenum up and over to the side where I am going to mount the computer but it's a little close to the wiper linkage. So once I have the engine bay wiring done I am going to wrap and route the computer wiring in a way that gives plenty of space for the wipers.

The engine itself has most of the wires routed the way I want them but I still need to shorten them so they are not such a mess. First 2 pictures are what I started with:

When I went to bed. It looks a lot better but has a way to go.

Here's the heat sink I broke my cam in on (WAY TOO SMALL) and the one I am going to. The black wire on the left is a temporary ground and will go away:

Old 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
232 I6

Nice work. I love the spot when you just decide to pull all of the wiring and do it right, it looks daunting to so many people but in the end produces a fantastic result.

Did you decide to go GM or Megasquirt? Still thinking about coil packs?
: Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg
Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 PM
350 Buick

Love the double snorkel air cleaner. I saw someone do that here on the discussion board years ago. If it turned out really nice. You need to give us a right up on it.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 PM
350 Buick

Double Snorkle Air Cleaner
Old 02-01-2019, 08:47 PM
350 Buick

Another Dual Snorkel
Old 02-01-2019, 08:47 PM
232 I6

I also love the double snorkel!

I hope you dont consider it stealing but I may try that idea out as well. I have my stock snorkel and a new one from the 401.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:49 PM
350 Buick

And my favorite Dual Snorkle.

Dual snorkle air cleaner
Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probesport
Nice work. I love the spot when you just decide to pull all of the wiring and do it right, it looks daunting to so many people but in the end produces a fantastic result.

Did you decide to go GM or Megasquirt? Still thinking about coil packs?
Thank you, sir! Stayed GM. This project is already way behind schedule and over budget (by A LOT). I may go coil packs down the road but for now I settled with GM computer controlled ignition. The more I got into it, the more I realized going to coil packs was going to add more cost and time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Love the double snorkel air cleaner. I saw someone do that here on the discussion board years ago. If it turned out really nice. You need to give us a right up on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneer Taylor
I also love the double snorkel!

I hope you dont consider it stealing but I may try that idea out as well. I have my stock snorkel and a new one from the 401.
Thanks, Gentlemen. Definitely, not my idea and you guys are welcome to copy it. I'll try to do a write up but its my first time and it may not be the best product when I'm done. I am just going to cut the snorkel off one and weld it on the other.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=186663
Old 02-03-2019, 02:13 PM
230 Tornado

Dude, what's up with that wiring. It looks like something a former Navy Fire Controlman might come up with.

Just kidding. Good job on the GM ignition module mod. Where did you get those heat sinks? They may be too purdy for my bucket but, I still want them.

;-)

Git-R-done!

'77 Cherokee, narrow track, 360 2V, T18A 4spd, Dana 20
Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 AM
304 AMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by connotaucarius
Dude, what's up with that wiring. It looks like something a former Navy Fire Controlman might come up with.

Just kidding. Good job on the GM ignition module mod. Where did you get those heat sinks? They may be too purdy for my bucket but, I still want them.
HAHA!!! Once an FC, always an FC! Funny you should mention it: I got a good deal on that gold heat sink and have another one if you need it. It's over in BLDG 267. I'm on travel this week and next but can grab you one if you need it when I get back. They were too pretty for your bucket when you got it, but now that you swapped fenders, doors, painted the bumper, etc., it would look right at home under your hood!

Speaking of wiring, I spent 3 hours this weekend cleaning up more wiring. The engine wiring is now all cleaned up. I pulled about a pound of wires out of the engine alone. Now I have one loom that runs down the passenger side of the engine, hits all the sensors and solenoids there, then splits under the coil toward all the items in the front (like oil pressure sensor and switch, A/C, temp sensors, etc.). It clears the valve cover and I made sure there was enough slack in it so I can remove connectors and parts without breaking them or their wires and accounts for movement in the engine. Looks much less head achey! I expect to spend another few hours cleaning up the wiring on the driver inner fender and have to move my headlight/turn signal harness out of the hole the second snorkel will feed from. Just when I think I am close to backing it out of the garage I find another few hours of work to do.

I have my power seat bottoms with me on travel so I have something I can tinker on in my hotel at night. There's a good wrecking yard here, too but I don't think I need a lot of parts. I also brought a big box of parts to sell, so watch the classifieds, ebay, and the Inland Empire Craigslist page!

Here's the cleaned up engine wiring (the first picture looked weird the way I took it, so I mirror imaged it and it looks better but now it looks like the drivers side even though it's not). Once I have driven it a few times and it's running well, I'll cover all my wires with black split loom conduit. For now, they are just wrapped in electrical tape. Also, I got frustrated because I thought I was good to go with connectors but I was short one single female side weatherpack connector for my A/C clutch.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Thank you, sir! Stayed GM. This project is already way behind schedule and over budget (by A LOT). I may go coil packs down the road but for now I settled with GM computer controlled ignition. The more I got into it, the more I realized going to coil packs was going to add more cost ....

The cost really is going to Megasquirt (or arduinosquirt) and the bulk of that cost is time. The parts to DIS are all under $100 or cheaper if you have a local JY. I absolutely do not blame you and can understand it on so many levels. I have a best friend that was an early pioneer of Megasquirts and we've done lots of cars together including one I own that's been done for well over a decade. We really have the best chance to start from top and immediately succeed.

So, while my best friend was out of town (as he does) I decided I was going all GM and all via a kit to start although we had spoke at length many times to start at Megasquirt as we have done this many times and know it at length. Being a good friend, I listened to reason and placed my order for an eBay GM EFI kit.

I knew I was going to go Megasquirt, DIS (eventually COP), from TBI to MPFI, from batch to sequential, more things from others. But I always knew I would start at a bolt-on or as close to a community kit that you can get and in the end i'm pretty sure he knew what was going to happen as well.

If the GM kit was more than adequate it would have stayed longer than it did, but almost everything you do as you build a car you start somewhere with a goal of the next progress milestone.

For me, getting it started and running on a proven kit was a milestone and I could really decide where I wanted to go next. I could comfortably install a from scratch base to my setup, but I don't think I would. Also, that mirrored image you posted above almost broke my mind.
: Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Last edited by Probesport : 02-04-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM
232 I6

Looking good as always Rang! Your close to hitting the road, no sense in rushing it now.

Let us know when you post your spares for sale I would be interested to see what ya got.

Soon to be a 401!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:55 AM

Looks real good.

Hope you kept all the v-belt pulleys and hardware. Cuz you’re gonna be putting it all back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasts79Chief
I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

→ Where the kids hang out...

fsjbuilder.org come for the mindless chat,stay for the hand drawn emoticons.

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...